Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #109379 08/15/11 08:26 AM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD9.5 will be starting 6th grade at a new school. The good news is that the new school's math curriculum is about half a year advanced compared to the public school system she's leaving. The bad news is that, while she didn't score high enough on the end-of-6th assessment she took to take 7th grade math, she already knows half of the material that will be taught in 6th grade math and, according to her teacher, will begin learning new stuff around December.

On one hand, you could look at the first few months of school serving as an adjustment period, since it will be a new curriculum with a new style of homework (she's going from Everyday Math to Saxon). On the other hand, she loves math and likes being challenged in math, and the first few month will be a time of no progress or challenge.

So, I'm looking into the possibility of finding an at-home curriculum that she can do afterschool at her own pace. I know there are several options out there, like EPGY, but what would be the best choice for intro to algebra for a kid who learns quickly and doesn't need a lot of reputation and would probably only have a chance to work on the program a few days a week? Does anyone have any recommendations?

She thought she could, so she did.
    C
    C
    Since it sounds as though challenge, more than linear progress, is what you're looking for, I'd suggest Alcumus. (I know, I usually do suggest Alcumus - but really, it's very good.) It is basically a lot of problems, often quite brain-teaser-y, with a topic tracker to get the level right for the student and some videos etc. as backup; if you wanted systematic teaching materials you'd probably want to buy a copy of their Intro to Algebra book as well, but if you're able to be around and help on demand you can do without that (we have the book, but hardly ever consult it; generally DS does a few problems on the bus).

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM