Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi all,
    I'm driven to ask about iPad apps because I let DS5 spend some time with those angry birds today, which I've been avoiding for months becuase I'd rather he not be obsessed with the iPad. But, he had a great time with it, took breaks when frustrated, and figured out how to move up levels quickly. Now I'm thinking It might be time to find entrancing apps for him to use some times.
    Searching the threads for ipad didn't bring up too much, even in the ultimate games thread. I did come across a recommendation for the google earth app, which I just downloaded and used a bit. I think my son will love that. I'm particularly interested in apps that would expose him to science, nature, arts, music, but I'd love to hear about any that you and your kids love.
    thanks!

M
    M
    We've only played this on a laptop, but Virulent (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virulent/id438485177?mt=8) is a free iPad app. It's a fun learning game where you get to be a virus attacking a cell.

[Edited because I can't spell this early in the morning.]

Last edited by MidwestMom; 07/26/11 04:37 AM.
    G
    G
    Cross fingers is the rage in my house right now. You can go quite a ways before you have to cough up the $0.99 for the full version (just gets you more puzzles).

ETA now that I turned on the ipad: Crazy Copy (the old Simon game), Sudoku Daily is another free one that my DS5 plays daily. I also plan to download NASA's new ipad app (the other one was a dud.) We also play with iSeismometer a lot, which takes advantage of the pad's accelerometer, and of course, Google Earth.

Last edited by geofizz; 07/27/11 08:06 AM.
    K
    K
    Stack the states and stack the countries. My kids went from knowing not a whole lot about geography to a TON! My daughter who just turned 7 can identify every country in South America and Asia.

The Brainpop app posts a new educational video every day and has a related quiz.

We like angry birds too! :-)

B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you for these great ideas! I will start checking them out. I just downloaded the free ibird and it looks amazing. I've come across elements before and am saving that one for a special occasion buy-I think dh, ds and I will all like that one.

Cricket, if you could go on (and on!) with suggestions that would be much appreciated. Cruising app recommendations on the internets at large hasn't led to finding apps of interest.

I might play with the iseismometer for the rest of the day, just the free iPhone app...

B
    B
    I have a similar question about the iMac. Is there important educational software for it that does not have Windows equivalents? We have Windows PCs, and I could pretend that an iMac purchase is "for the children" smile.

Some scientists use the iMac because it has a Unix operating system, and there is much open-source scientific and programming software for Unix (including Linux). Elementary school children are more interested in games and multimedia software.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    We just got an iPad last week. Our current favorites (games, toys, tools):

Toy Physics
    Fractile Plus
    Molecules
    Kakuro Lite

Thanks to all who've posted in this thread! I've already installed several great apps recommended here.

ETA: forgot Quick Graph, which ds prefers to his graphing calculator or Geometer's Sketchpad when graphing for Algebra 2 / Trig.

Last edited by hip; 07/28/11 02:20 PM.
    Love these kinds of threads!

DS 5 loves (in no particular order):
    Interactive books - not advanced but super fun
    Cosmos
    Bartlebys book of buttons

Games
    Despicable Me - we didn't see the movie but the app is a hoot, I really enjoy it
    World of goo - although DH and DS are stuck on a level maybe I should post it!!
    Touch physics
    Tiny tower (be aware this one has in app purchases, need to turn that off)
    Doodle Jump
    Moron test

Creative
    Toontastic
    Create a car
    Make a Martian
    I write words

Science
    Elementals
    SciFriday

My list for our next trip
    Roxie doors
    Cut the rope
    Mushroom age�
    Goofy mad libs
    Slice it
    Montessori crosswords

The iPad really nicely addresses asynchrony - he can do super science stuff and then make a car with crazy parts!

Can't wait to check out what we don't have yet.

DeHe

B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    thanks everyone!!! I am so looking forward to checking out all these apps! Anyone else with an iPad want to share apps?

Bostonian, I don't know the answer about Mac vs PC for kids software. however, since you brought it up, I think you should get one! The children need one! smile We are a long time Mac family. We make the argument to family members that the Mac may cost more than a similar PC, but it will last at least 3x as long, won't be dragged down by viruses, and pretty much every thing you load onto it or connect to it will work right the first time you try to use it. The grandmother in our family who has the Mac is always able to use her computer and camera to video chat with DS5, for example, whereas the grandmother who has the the PC has computer problems making her unavailable for 50% of chat times.

B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Sorry ,posted that but wasnt quite done. Just wanted to say that I realized I'm practicing my persuasion skills for convincing the other grandmother to switch to Mac so we can talk to her more easily! Thanks for listening to my spiel!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM