Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Nik #108038 07/29/11 05:59 AM
    N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks Grinity, very cool. A couple questions:

Does the month start whenever you start, or is it from the 1st to the 31st?

What happens if you don't make it?

Is your work protected? (In case it turns out to be amazing!!)

Do you have control over who else can read and/or comment on your efforts?

Is this a year round thing or a specific "novel month" thing?

Do they mini challenges so you can work up to 50,000 words? (That sounds a bit ominous to start out with).

My DD has started on a short story that is very good so far, I am not sure it could or should be stretched to 50,000 words though, it works well as a short story. We are leaving for vacation next week (no computers), then school starts in late August so August may be tough for doing an online challenge. I will share the link, it may appeal to her, it's certainly worth a shot!

Originally Posted by Grinity
    I think that for some people, the 'inner critic' is more of a feeling of dread/panic than an actual voice, so it's harder to identify. For me the cycle is:
    Dread - write - hear the inner critic's vocalization
    As if the dread is to try to get me to avoid writing so that I won't have to suffer later when the inner critic starts ripping.

Interesting, my DD says she either never felt stress or else she doesn't know how to tell she's feeling stress. She doesn't know or can't verbalize what it is she is feeling when she freezes up with that look of sheer terror at the prospect of writing. Maybe it's dread/panic.

Good luck with your own Novel! I like your plan, I have no doubt your novel will be great.
    Nik

Nik #108049 07/29/11 07:48 AM
    Originally Posted by Nik
    Interesting, my DD says she either never felt stress or else she doesn't know how to tell she's feeling stress. She doesn't know or can't verbalize what it is she is feeling when she freezes up with that look of sheer terror at the prospect of writing. Maybe it's dread/panic.
    This is pretty common - I think - for folks who have 'social communication deficits.' When DS was small and I wanted to correct some social behavior, I would ask, "How would that make you feel if the other child did that to you?"
    He's respond: "I wouldn't mind at all."

I never knew to what extend he was just being defensive or to what extent he was being truthful to the best of his ability. I knew from observation that at other moments he sure didn't like being the object of that behaior, so it made me wonder.

Much of my own knowledge of others come from my use of imagination to put myself in the other's shoes. If I had limited self-awareness, that stratagy wouldn't help me much.

My guess is that if you see the physical signals of stress, that her body is experiencing it, and that it is affecting her mind in some way, even if she isn't aware of it. I liked the explaination in Daniel Goleman's 1996 book Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala_hijack

Take a look and see if it's helpful.
    As for the NaNo thing, it's in July, August, and November as far as I can tell. Perhaps someone else here knows more?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM