Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    hello everyone.
    i have a 29 month old son who is receiving OT, early intervention, and speech therapy because i panicked when he was barely speaking at 2 yo. right after he turned 2, however, not only did he start speaking (he has not stopped talking since by the way) but also reading among many other things. his therapists all believe he may be gifted. how young should children be tested, should they even be tested, what are the benefits of testing, what is involved in testing, where do i start? thank you all.

A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I have a son who is going to be 4 in 2 months. He didn't start speaking until almost 2 and I was also concerned. Now I wish I could get him to stop asking questions ALL the time! LOL I am having him tested this fall because I want to get him into a program. I would suggest reading everything you can and "feeding" your son as much as he can take in. My son loves letters, puzzles, books, songs that you have to play along (wheels on the bus et. al.) and musical instruments. He does not have great fine motor skills so we make letters with finger paint. If you can figure out his learning style it makes it easier to teach him. I wasted a lot of money buying teaching aides that didn't fit. If he is anything like my son, he will guide you. Good Luck!

J
    jja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    thank you both. we usually just follow hi lead. whenever i read to him, he always wants me to spell out the letters of words that interest him. it's amazing to see how this little guy just figures out certain words, he mostly taught himself how to read. i think i will wait to have him tested. thanks again.

M
    M
    My recommendation on testing: age 6 or when behavior starts to become a serious problem (due to probably boredom).

Both my kids got tested at 5.... LOL

Mary

Mary
    Rocksea,
    here's a parenting tip for that stage when they are always asking questions.

Almost every "WHY" can be answered with one of the following two words -

Nature

or

Custom

One you explain the terms and give some examples, you can use the short hand to give a basic answer to lots of things, and then see if you child actually wants more, before heading to Wikipedia.

It worked for DS10 around age 3/4.

Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I just remembered something else. We watch a lot of his favorite videos with teh close caption feature on. He likes to read along with the wiggles. He sight reads words up to 6-7 letters but he is getting better at sounding out bigger words.

A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Ohh and thinks Trinity I will try that tomorrow...

Nancy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM