Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    If the school says "no" to testing DD9, then I'd say consider testing her privately.

(You might make sure the school will accept private testing first though, to save yourself the $$$ if they won't...)

Needing an ID is definitely a good reason to want to test! Perhaps the very best reason!

In our letter to the school, we asked specifically what evidence we could provide them to warrant further testing. We also asked what they would do with private test information. We haven't heard back, and it's been almost two weeks. I think I'll look into it today. DD9 is miserable right now.

Sounds like a smart course of action. They may be hoping you'll forget and may need a kick in the pants (politely, of course smile ) to jumpstart them.

I'm sorry about DD9. frown I hope it gets better, and fast!

Kriston
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by snowgirl
    Somewhere I read (on the GDC website?) that the highest score a person had achieved was the closest to their true ability level, since one cannot achieve greater than their ability on an IQ test. So, in the case of all the different tests your kids have had, I'd assume the highest ones were the best, among the existing group of scores, in terms of accuracy.

I've read this as well, snowgirl. It's pretty stand-alone as there are no muliple choice answers on an IQ test.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Dottie,

That is so frightening -- one question can make that difference! I would like to take a class in diagnostics to understand this better. If I have 1 kid that's 2-3 standard deviations above the others, is that just a couple questions guessed right? I guess I've been under the impression that there was some serious difference in ability. Maybe when the literature says the really high IQs are 1 in a million, it's because that's the chance someone will guess correctly--like a lottery...I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's something I'd like to understand better.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh, and FWIW, I believe Matrix Reasoning on the WISC-IV is multiple choice, and possibly some others as well? I'll have to double check that one!

Yes, I think you're right. It's MC on the WASI, and the tester said that DD had a tendency to second-guess herself, and several times she did so incorrectly. After the test, he talked to her about being more confident in her first guess. The NNAT is also MC.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM