Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 118 of 268 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 267 268
    Great stories, people. kathleen'smum, your son is adorable.

DS nearly-6 adapted well to his grade skip to 1st. He decided on his own initiative to make a thank-you present for his K teacher at the end of the year. It's ankylosaurus-based, but then he went a little nuts with spikes on top of spikes:
    http://photos.smugmug.com/i-jsBhdHs/0/XL/20110622-2-XL.jpg
    http://photos.smugmug.com/i-9zxxT7r/0/XL/20110622-4-XL.jpg
    http://photos.smugmug.com/i-xtvgdwP/0/XL/20110622-7-XL.jpg
    http://photos.smugmug.com/i-Dn2X9PC/0/XL/20110622-13-XL.jpg

In a lot of ways he is starting to show increasing speed, to the extent that he often thinks his way to a problem solution faster than me. It can be a little daunting, although I usually feel better when I remind myself that I can easily beat him at arm-wrestling. A small example: tonight he just did this problem in about a minute, less time than it took me to read and understand it enough to start on the solution (after a long day and sundry other rationalizations, lol):

"Who is lying and who is telling the truth?

There are exactly three truth tellers among five people.
    Person A says that Person C is telling the truth.
    Person B says that Person A is lying.
    Person C says that Person B is lying.
    Person D says Person B is telling the truth.
    Person E says Person D is telling the truth."

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    We have been having a terrible time with DD3 lately (horrible tantrums, fighting, outright defiance etc.), so this is huge in our house right now.

Starting Sat. afternoon, the girls found DH's old matchbox cars and some track. They made more ramps and raced cars around the house all afternoon, all day Sunday AND all morning today! Not once was there a fight, squabble, or even a raised voice -other than in excitement. They added all sorts of other stuff to their ramps and made jumps and bumps and silly tunnels for the cars to go through. They started asking if they could get more track so they could make bigger and better stuff. DH was ready to say no when I came up with the idea that if they did a bunch of chores this week maybe they would be able to earn enough money to buy some. So far we have had them helping make lunch, setting the table, cleaning off the back porch, cleaning up their rooms (including throwing away junk and donating books)! They have both done all that has been asked without moaning or groaning and have asked for more to do!

M
    M
    On the way home from Violin class two weeks ago, Aiden (4.5 yrs) asks me what's 1 million plus 1 million. I say "2 million". after a short silence he says "so you add the numbers up and then put the word on the end - hundred, thousand, million" I was quite impressed that he made that association. Then he asked me to give him an example to work out. So i say "what is 2 plus 2" he answers 4. I say "what is 200 plus 200?".

He says um... and before he can answer - in that breath of a second it took to get his answer out, Nathan (2.5) says from behind his dummy (pacifier) "400". poor aiden was unimpressed that his brother stole his moment.

I was just giggling and trying to hide my obvious delight and amusement.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    The last two days have been banner days for us!

DD3 has learned to steer and peddle her tricycle as well as swim without floaties! She can now swim with her head in the water in the cutest version of the crawl I've ever seen!

DD8 has learned the ride her bike without training wheels, how to use her pogo stick without the large starter base on it and has just about mastered her multiplication tables (they have been too boring to bother to learn up until the bribe of being able to decide where we go out to eat for supper and dessert on the night she knows them all.)! She also made it to the 50% mark for her summer reading goal at the library program (her goal: 4500 minutes of reading crazy )

M
    M
    wow Kerry sounds like you are having a great start to the new week!

congrats those are all worthy achievements indeed laugh

F
    F
    My kids have been challenging each other with their math skills. DD7 (going into 2nd grade with math acceleration to 3rd) and ds5 (starting kinder math acceleration to 1st). She has been giving him adding with carrying and subtraction with borrowing (no clue when or where he learned this) and multiplication. He has been giving her 2 and 3 digit multiplication and asks "is this hard enough).

I think its too cute

M
    M
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    My kids have been challenging each other with their math skills. DD7 (going into 2nd grade with math acceleration to 3rd) and ds5 (starting kinder math acceleration to 1st). She has been giving him adding with carrying and subtraction with borrowing (no clue when or where he learned this) and multiplication. He has been giving her 2 and 3 digit multiplication and asks "is this hard enough).

I think its too cute
    I love when they "play/learn" together. It's awesome to watch

G
    G
    DS 5 learned to tie his shoes two days ago and yesterday he figured out how to ride his scooter!

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    DD7 struggles with worry and anxiety and we struggle to understand why. Last night she refused to tell me what she feared in the dark because it was a secret. Today I gave her the book, "What to Do When You Worry", and she read it tonight and told me it made her feel nice. On one page, where it instructs you to write the names of people you know who worry, she filled the entire space with "me, me, ME, ME!"

Just before bed, she handed me a little piece of paper. It was from Puppy, the two-inch stuffed dog she takes everywhere, who "wrote" on it the following haiku:

[snip - sorry I wanted to submit this for publication and they require it not be published online; I will add it back if the magazine rejects. I'm sure you parents understand. wink ]
    It took all my strength to hold back the tears. It was so beautiful in itself, but even more so in its context. She is finally starting to come to the surface.

F
    F
    Pru- that is so sweet... What are you going to do with "Puppy's Poem"- Frame it?

Page 118 of 268 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM