Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I also have that "need to know" thing so I thought I would chime in. I also would be a little annoyed if my DS ceilinged and the psych never addressed extended norms in the report.

My DS ceilinged on Vocabulary and Matrix Reasoning and using extended norms, his scores increased to 21 and 20, respectively. With the extend norms, my DS's FSIQ increased 2 points and his GAI increased 4 points. This was discussed in the report the psych prepared. He also got two 18s but whether those would adjust the final numbers was not addressed in my DS�s report.

You might want to know only for your own general knowledge, but I guess I would want to know if the extended norms were used, and if so, whether they increased his scores. It could give a more accurate portrayal of her abilities and sometimes the higher numbers (although hers are already pretty high) may be striking enough to get someone (ie school system) to do something about it? If you don�t think it will, then you just have to decide if this is something you can live without knowing � as another poster said, those scores are pretty much good for any program to which you may want to apply.

P
    P
    and by already "pretty" high, I of course meant "really" high!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Well I did contact the tester and he said that with the up to date tests extrapolating scores is not recommended. That is not what I have read here, but he is an experienced UK tester of gifted children. I feel a bit silly, but also disappointed. I did ask if the raw scores were available, but he didn't answer that bit of the e mail. My daughter liked him, the test went well, I think the report will be useful and the school could want to contact him and I wouldn't want to be seen as pushy so maybe I should leave it. It's just that I would like it to fully reflect the extent of her strengths in the ceilinged tests???...
    Thanks for all you replies.

C
    C
    You did it privately, so not only is it your DD's data but you are the customer. In your position I would definitely insist on getting the full data. Maybe an email that says just "Thank you for your reply. Please send me the raw scores for all subtests, for my records. Yours, amyvictoria"

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I am building up to that e mail. I know it's silly, but I feel nervous!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for your advice - the raw scores are now in the post. They may make no difference at all. Even if they do point to a higher extended IQ it may not be of any further use to the schools, but I will have satisfied my curiosity!!
    Would anyone here be able to work out what the extended IQ (if appropriate) would be from the raw scores?
    Thankyou!

C
    C
    I'd bet that Dottie could work out the extended IQ for you. PM her if you don't want to post the raw scores publically.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for that. She was a great help and the scores did go up. It is frustrating that they are not in the report though and I'm not sure if anybody would understand even if I did mention extended IQs or even GAI. Do any UK posters have experience with this?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM