Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Here's a regular wiki link to "learning styles"
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_styles
    I don't know what you want to do about things that already have a wiki page.

If a topic's relevant to giftedness, it should be in the gifted wiki. There will be extra useful info on the topic that relates to giftedness that could never appear in Wikipedia, and we don't have to duplicate the work of Wikipedia editors on every page (note that we should not copy Wikipedia articles wholesale into the gifted wiki either, though we might include links to some of them).

With respect to learning styles, I think personally that there's such a welter of them, with such an apparent lack of scientific support, that as a major topic it might not work. I don't see learning styles as a general topic come up (much) in discussions here and elsewhere, nor most of the ones cited in that article. What I do see is occasional discussions about a child being visual-spatial instead of auditory, etc. So there's something there that should probably wind up in the wiki, but probably not a full explanation of every Ph.D. candidate's newly minted learning style theory.

I know that's not perfectly helpful. But in the end, the thing is that you can't screw things up badly if you think you've found a standard term for a topic of interest to the gifted community, make a page titled after that term, and do your best. Other editors will follow along later and improve the articles anyway, once the wiki starts to thrive.

Last edited by Iucounu; 07/24/11 07:41 AM.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I made a blog entry last year. Can I cut and paste it into the wiki? It's mine. Or Are you not supposed to?

Carol Dweck is a psychologist who is currently popular with some of the parents of gifted children.� She is the author�of a book called "Self-Theories: Their role in motivation, personality, and development."� She put forth a debate over "entity theory of intelligence" vs. "incremental theory of intelligence."� Namely she says if you believe that you are born with a fixed level of intelligence rather than one that is adjustable through hard work you may be unwilling to take risks and learn new things because then you might be exposed that you don't know it all.� She says this happens in gifted children who remain unchallenged in their early years and are praised for being smart.� They internalize the praise as integral to their identity.� When they finally take on a task that is challenging later in life they feel as if since it didn't come naturally they are somehow less smart, and that they can't perform the task.� Whereas we all know practice makes perfect.� Her answer to this dilema is to challenge young people often and early and to praise them for their hard work and not for the stuff that comes effortlessly.�

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I made a blog entry last year. Can I cut and paste it into the wiki? It's mine. Or Are you not supposed to?

You can post your own created content to the wiki. It doesn't matter that you posted it previously on your blog. As the creator you own the copyright rights and can donate the text to the wiki. Posting someone else's blog text wouldn't necessarily be okay; in that situation the best thing would be to paraphrase the ideas in the post, add links to the wiki entry for those ideas to major sources, link to the blog post if you think it's highly important and contains a good discussion of the topic, etc.

I think you should create a page named "Carol S. Dweck". I think it's best to create pages named with the full name of the person but without credentials, since credentials can change. (I broke this rule by putting "Ph.D." in the page title of the Deborah Ruf entry, but will fix it soon.)

After you create the page named "Carol S. Dweck", create a page named "Carol Dweck" to redirect to it. The only text in that page will be:
    #REDIRECT [[Carol S. Dweck]]

Then any time someone searches for or links to "Carol Dweck" in the wiki, they'll go to the main Carol S. Dweck page.

I know that it is confusing at first. I am beginning to put some pages in to help new editors. Here's the first big one:
    http://www.giftedwiki.org/index.php?title=Help:Page_Samples:General

ETA: I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the post above about learning styles. I think the term "learning style" could have its own page and that would be a great addition, especially with a link to a page on visual spatial learning etc. as a major example. I just don't think it's valuable to add a page on every learning style that's been alleged by someone eager to add to the literature, especially with the recent questioning as to whether learning styles research is sound.

http://instructivist.blogspot.com/

http://instructivist.blogspot.com/2007/08/more-cold-water-on-learning-styles.html

There's this (slightly snarky) blog that disputes the value of "learning styles", so I thought you were serious. �They kinda said it would do kids more good to learn flexibility by learning to connect with different teaching styles. �I wholeheartedly agree with the Carol Dweck theory, ie. people grow. �So that gives me a different feeling about learning styles. I think kids should adapt. But I think the "learning styles" studies are great as far as they give teachers another tool to present material with. �Things are different from when I was growing up, but they used to say that if someone didn't understand something show them a different way. �There's usually several ways you can do something and one of them will click. �I'm not sure that's how "learning styles" are applied by whoever uses the findings. �It's just a topic. �Jenbrdsly who has a degree in early education just said in another thread here you can't be too rigid in sticking to formula when you're educating live children. �

I thought you meant what you said and you thought I was talking about something else, lol.

I decided to paint a mural this week so I didn't do much on the wiki. �I will though.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Great. Your Carol Dweck post spurred some extra thought on my part, and I am now putting together some stuff so that we can cite to books, and have the citations all in the same format and linked to a page for that book. When we have pages for books, they will hopefully have some structure that needs development too (stuff like various editions, etc.) and I still haven't put the rating/reviewing code into the wiki. It's all a work in progress.

I'll have a little extra time available this week. What topic or area could you use a little help with?

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I would like to know how schools could monitor effort and progress, which is just as important as a grade. How do you motivate students to do their best and encourage good excutive functioning. How does a gifted school accomidate the PG kid?

Huh, It might seem strange but the answer might be posted in a thread about disciplining a gifted kid.  A gifted kid's "currency" is often independence and the ability to make his own choices.  When your student is doing their best effort and progress reward them immediately verbally and with the promise of more  independently self-chosen projects.  Kids currency is rarely about things but more often about freedom and autonomy.  In both cases, the toddler listening and the student studying, it's a question of how the adult can help the child learn self discipline if it's not child-led. In both cases the answer may be to reward examples of self discipline with more independence. Which happens naturally but we need to be a little more obvious about pointing it out to the kids.

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Actually, your son has already told you what matters most to him - independence and the ability to make his own choices. When he stays by your side, doesn't run away, comes when you tell him it's time to go, etc., reward him immediately verbally and with the promise of an immediate freedom. 

For example, "Look at how you came when I called you. I am so proud of you for being so responsible. And because you came when I called, I think I'm ok if you don't hold my hand from here to the curb - as long as you stop and wait for me there." 

And by the same token, you immediately remove a freedom when he ignores your request. "I asked you to come, and instead of showing me how you could be responsible, you ran away. That isn't ok, because it meant I had to run after you and that you were paying more attention to running away than to being safe. And because of that, I am going to carry you to the car because I can't trust that you'll stay by me where you are safe from the traffic."

He's smart. He'll get it, and I bet he gets it fast. 

Currency with my kids is RARELY about things - taking them away, offering gifts, etc. They really didn't care, and they were happy to go without their things in order to have freedom and autonomy. So I had to learn that what they would work for was to gain freedom through actions that made me think they were able to handle that freedom. 

It's a pain in the neck, because you have to be consistent. Every time, whether you're tired or stressed out or having an argument with your spouse. You have to be prepared to be "on" all the time until they've tested your limits enough to know it isn't going to change and that there isn't a way to distract or manipulate you into giving up and just letting them do what they wanted because it's easier at the moment.

And, this worked with my kids. I don't even pretend to know your kid or what will work for your family. This is just from my perspective of what I've learned over the 21 years I've been raising gifted, highly independent, exhausting kids. smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM