Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    lucounu -

I think the wiki is a great idea. I especially like your idea to allow people to comment on the resources. Keep up posted.

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, and I will. I just registered "giftedwiki.org", and am looking into how to install MediaWiki on a Linux machine.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Okay, it's installed. It was a shockingly easy several-click installation (and partly for this reason, as well as very low cost and good portability, I recommend GoDaddy for anyone who wants to start a wiki, at least with MediaWiki or one of their other supported types of wiki software). I haven't begun creating pages or mucking with the settings yet, but will do that over the coming week so that it becomes an actual working wiki.

Now I have to think about setting up a starting structure, sort of a latticework on which the information will begin to take shape. I'm going to start by surveying the discussion boards here and thinking a bit. I'm completely open to suggestions and collaboration-- that's really the whole point. laugh

Gifted Boredom

Some parents worry about their gifted son/daughter (not living up to their potential). �Some other parents are faced with (boredom created behavior) in class, which is different from (2e problems), or (lack of social awareness), or the problems related from frustration when your (agemates aren't your true peers).

Alternatively some parents deal with their kids �(Getting Crap Past the radar), which gets the others to think the parents to look for problems where there aren't any.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I wuz hoping someone would tell me if that would be a valid entry or not, or give a bettr example if I was way off.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    One more idea: at the bottom of the page where they keep show buttons for the "history", "see also", "further reading links"
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
    Could you make one of the show buttons for listing forum conversations about the subject? (from this forum or others, wherever it's been talked about.)

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    One more idea: at the bottom of the page where they keep show buttons for the "history", "see also", "further reading links"
    I think maybe you're viewing the mobile version of that page, but I understand.

Could you make one of the show buttons for listing forum conversations about the subject? (from this forum or others, wherever it's been talked about.)
    That's a bright idea in my opinion, for use in certain situations. One might think that anyone can go to use Google to find their own further information, and from that perspective it might be important to discuss in the main topic enough related terms and information to enable them to do high-quality searches. In addition if a related idea is important enough, it should be fleshed out in the wiki at some point. But I really like the idea of pre-baked searches, combining multiple terms etc., for people to click on to find further info and spur their thinking about how to search further. They could even be useful for a later editor to check for new material with which to update the wiki. Similarly, it's common in legal research to save complex searches for reuse on databases like Westlaw, because new cases and journal articles appear daily and it avoids reinventing the wheel.

Gifted Boredom
    Some parents worry about their gifted son/daughter (not living up to their potential). Some other parents are faced with (boredom created behavior) in class, which is different from (2e problems), or (lack of social awareness), or the problems related from frustration when your (agemates aren't your true peers).

Alternatively some parents deal with their kids (Getting Crap Past the radar), which gets the others to think the parents to look for problems where there aren't any.
    I'm assuming that each pair of parentheses is where you would consider placing a link, which is good thinking. I see strengths and weaknesses with the passage. Some of them have to do with terminology, e.g. "frustration when your agemates arent' your true peers" could perhaps be better worded to use the more standard term "asynchronous development", which I agree is probably important enough for its own page as you've identified. The more uses of a specific term like that, the more familiar the reader will quickly become with the lingo, and if we will have a page named "asynchronous development" then links to it would best be named the same as the page as much as possible.

I don't think the idea in the first sentence is fully expressed enough for an average reader, though I understand the idea, that boredom can be a symptom of lack of an appropriate challenge level, leading to worries about not living up to potential.

I don't fully get the last sentence, or the reference to that TV trope.

In general I think the passage, in context of just trying wiki-style writing on for size, is actually pretty good. These are just some quick, random thoughts. I think you'd be fine editing a wiki. Especially once some content is available as an example, people that care seem to quickly get the hang of what they're supposed to do. It's like any sort of editing; problems just start to stick out like sore thumbs, and your natural tendency is to correct them, either in previously written content or your own new stuff. People also have different strengths, and one person might notice an opportunity for improvement that someone else missed. The quality of the content is important, but you don't have to be perfect, especially for someone who's starting out, and especially for something like this. As long as people work on a wiki in good faith, it constantly improves.

G
    G
    This board seems to have become somewhat international, and a world wide wiki would be a wonderful tool too - if it's possible. No doubt there would be be things that would cross over regardless of location and also ideas that are used in different countries that might be taken up as a new idea by a reader in their own country. But it would also be useful if people could use it to update and access information specific to their own location too I think. No doubt something already considered and I have no idea if it is relevant to the set up of such a tool or not, but just thought I'd put it out there in case it was (I'd be happy to update it with links to Australian resources, if that would be useful).

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    . But it would also be useful if people could use it to update and access information specific to their own location too I think. No doubt something already considered and I have no idea if it is relevant to the set up of such a tool or not, but just thought I'd put it out there in case it was (I'd be happy to update it with links to Australian resources, if that would be useful).
    Yippee!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Giftodd, we're on the same page. I am in the process of figuring out how to structure that info right now, and should have it ready by Monday.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM