Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Like the subject says. If you think one would be useful, do you think it's best to use a site like wikia.com or just register a completely new domain? If so, what domain?

I looked and didn't find an existing one, but I might have missed it. If so, please let me know.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    D

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It's a great site, but it's not a wiki. It's not user-editable, for one thing. It's a great hub and also to some extent an authority, for sure, just as this site is.

There are sites for educators to share lesson plans and worksheets, but the ones I've seen are not perfectly structured, and a great many are also pay sites. The wiki I'm thinking of could to some degree point to or contain content already existing at sites like this one and Hoagies, but could also have lots of other content too (like actual sample resources) and would be free and user-editable.

I would probably get it up and running and dump some content in, and then of course it would be up to the users. If it's not a great idea, I'm okay with that. But I don't see anything like that on the web right now.

I see a fair amount of user-created content shoehorned into discussion boards; I've shoehorned some of it myself. That's not a perfect solution because even if all of the good content-containing threads got stickied (certainly a rosy outcome), they would still be forced into the structure of stickied threads in a forum. In addition, even in a stickied thread here and elsewhere, you typically can't edit the original post after a certain amount of time. Hence even if a librarian type revisits her original post to update it with all the valuable content in the thread, that ability is lost eventually. Also, nobody but the originator can edit the original post at all.

For these reasons discussion boards are not great for containing user-created content; they're good for discussing things. Every time someone here hunts up an old, valuable thread and links to it, or shares a link to something else of value, it's a hint to me that a wiki would be useful. Instead of those users saving links to things, they could essentially collaborate in saving their structure of valuable gifted information as they see it, plus dump in whatever content they wished. Discussions on the content would be separated out and not obscure the content, cross-links and updates would be added in passing by user-editors, etc.

I think it's a great idea, and I'd welcome your efforts!
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    ...Because the search here ain't so great even though it's interactive and the Hoagies is kind of limited to a few professionals on a subject. Lucounu you reinvented the wheel. Quit while you're ahead.
    http://blogs.saschina.org/bknowles/files/2009/09/divide-by-zero.jpg
    Let me know how I can help. I don't mind re-reading the threads here to itimize a list of recurring content, or googling how to spell itimize.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    B
    B
    If you set up a wiki I would look at it and perhaps contribute, but I prefer the discussion board format, because each post has a specific author. Even if we use pseudonyms, our styles of posting and general philosophy become apparent fairly soon, and others can weigh what we write in that light.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    M
    M
    I think it's a great idea.

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    All right then, I will do it. LaTex, I will let you know when it's ready for itimizations. Bostonian, I agree. It wouldn't be for discussions so much, but rather a content repository. I see a lot of value in discussions, but the wiki content would ideally be content-neutral.

M
    M
    Hi Iucounu - I know someone involved in the gifted education community who recently expressed interest in a similar idea. I'll contact him to see if he might be interested in collaborating.

Yeah, it's just like a cross-referenced dictionary defining everything, right?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM