Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I am interested to see any milestone chart or anecdotes folks have on what is normal reading (normal for nd kids wink for entering first grade.
    We are anticipating a reading assessment for dd5 in august before going into 1st grade, and I think she is in good shape for it, partly because I am having her flex her reading muscles every night, but I just wanted to understand a bit more clearly.
    The principal at the school said she'd struggle based on her identification of letter names which was a bit off perfect when they saw her in February. I asked if the first graders were going into first reading books with one line on a page or chapter books and she said 'both'. She said that a lot of people hold their kids back around here (big surprise there) so dd might really feel out of place.

B
    B
    It is normal for children to learn how to read in 1st grade, and a school which thinks incoming 1st graders should already know how to read is trying to push its job onto parents.

Googling "what grade children learn read", the first link
    http://www.pbs.org/parents/goingtoschool/what_1.html says

"First grade is traditionally thought of as the level where children learn to read. Not all children become fluent readers by the end of the first grade, but most take their first solid steps toward fluid reading. Their reading material varies from simple rhymes, to classroom news, to patterned stories and beginner non-fiction books. By the end of the year, most are reading grade-level chapter books and some are reading at even more advanced levels. First graders love true stories of long ago, even though their sense of time isn�t well developed. Some good historical books include The Man Who Walked Between Two Towers by Mordicai Gerstein, My Brother Martin by Christine King, and The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles.

First-grade teachers help children listen for sounds in words, write the sounds they hear, and discover parts of written language, like the �at in cat that they can then use to figure out the words hat, mat, and sat.

Writing, like reading, takes a variety of forms in the first-grade classroom. Children "invent" their spellings as they work out their understandings of written language. Writing activities include journal writing, writing creative stories, or documenting their work in other subject areas. Teachers frequently ask children to sound out the words they write to introduce the sounds that letters make."

<end of excerpt>

Our eldest son, who is gifted, was reading fluently before age 4, our 2nd son, who will enter 1st grade this fall, has learned how to read over the last year, and our daughter will likely be reading before entering 1st grade. Her mother will see to that. But I think a normal kid who knows the alphabet but cannot read should not be discouraged from entering 1st grade at age 6. Schools may be more interested in pumping up standardized test scores by enrolling older students than it doing what is best for the children.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    M
    M
    My quirky DD (I hesitate to call her normal) entered first grade knowing sight words and reading short sentences, etc. By the end of first grade, she was reading short chapter books like Henry & Mudge. I was concerned because she seemed so behind compared to DD#1, but it turned out that she was actually a little above average.

F
    F
    my dd7 entered first grade reading short chapter books. My dd5 is entering kinder reading.. just not at the level they wanted for him to skip kinder.

The principal at the school said she'd struggle based on her identification of letter names which was a bit off perfect when they saw her in February.

[/quote]

I remember that my dd's 3's preschool teacher told me that she could not read (despite the fact that she was reading since 2) because she did not know her letter sounds. I was a bit surprised and asked which letters she did not know and was told she "failed" C and U. When she got home I asked her what sound the letter C made and she said - well - that is what my teacher asked me but that is a hard one... C can say "cuh" like in cut, or "ssss" like in circus - I did not know what the right answer was - as you can imagine, it was similar with "U" ..."up" versus "unicorn" - yup- did not know her letter sounds.

Master of none - "not allowed to go above letter J in kindy" HA! Sad but funny - might be damaging!

As far as learning to read - I think that there are some regional/town differences. It seemed that about 25% of the pre-school 4's class was reading last year (basic stuff - bob type books) - but that could just be because I was noticing the readers.

E
    E
    I had to laugh when I read your post, mom123, about the c and u sounds. My son also "failed" the ch sound when in K. He said it sounded like sh, ie. Chicago, charlatan, chiffon, etc. His 1st grade teacher understood him much better. I'm sure your daughter will be fine. My son's first grade class had a HUGE difference in reading levels among students. By the end of the year everyone was reading.

OP Offline
    Oh, to be clear, we are trying to skip K, sort of, she will still be 5. And she is reading short sentences, I have just shied away from pushing her, but since it seems to be the only thing that might keep her from feeling comfortable in 1st, I am encouraging more work on her part than just 'let it come as may be'. Maybe 5 minutes a night (horrible pushy me).

She is enjoying it however, so it feels like it is the right time.
    Thanks for the input, all, I will look at the dolce list and milestone chart.

D
    D
    You also have to take into account where you live. If you live in an affluent district, most children are going to be entering first grade reading at a higher level than in a poorer district.
    I'd say that we live in a district with a great mix of family income levels and that the average student in dd's class is reading B or C level books according to Fountas and Pinnell.

OP Offline
    I agree daytripper, we are definitely in a 'competitive' or perhaps 'aggressive' district as far as all that goes.

My concern about going into first without very solid footing is that the time frame under which she will be assessed and ok'd to continue in 1st is pretty tight -- 6 weeks.
    We will have no encouragement from the school as far as I can tell, and worst case they might be down right discouraging.

Last edited by chris1234; 06/27/11 10:38 AM.
    F
    F
    Chris, We are not hot housing (I dont think) reading. BUT We do have ds5 read a book every night and have reviewed the sight words for preschool and first grade (somehow when I made our flash cards I did them for first instead of kinder). I also read to both my kids every other night or when ever they ask.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM