Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 117 of 268 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 267 268
    M
    M

those are awesome! well done to them! I love the ski photo - it's gorgeous and would make a stunning puzzle or poster laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    those are amazing photos of amazing kids! Wow!

Thanks so much for the compliments! I feel like I know you guys. Ansypants & chris - you've BTDT, great with practical advise, La Texican has a wickedly good sense of humor, Madoosa LOVES HER BOYS.

It's seems like we have to be really careful who we share with IRL so it was fun to post pics here. My kids have always been almost freakishly kinetic/sensory - early motor skills, good balance, etc.

DS10 moved up to a tougher ski racing league this year, from local to regional and his best finish was 11th. He is so into it - studies weather patterns to know what type of wax to apply to the skis in the morning, talks about the different sounds the skis make in the snow depending on how icy the course is and how much carve he is getting out of the ski depending on the beveling of the edge. (I didn't start skiing till I was 35 and I'm pitiful!) Sensory-wise, he does things like touching and smelling new clothes before he will try them on. He often does the same with food. And the other day I bought memory foam bath mats for him (I knew he'd like the softness) to use in front of his bathroom sink and shower. When I went in for goodnight hugs, I saw that he put one on his desk under his computer so his hands would rest on it and the other over his pillowcase...kinda quirky.

DD is mello and messy, loves her gymnastics (she is fearless on the beam and has 5 NV State gym titles) and learns best by hands-on. She loves science and her favorite part of 4th grade was dissecting a squid. She loves to read Lemony Snickets and thinks she's bad at math but scored at 96% on MAPS.

This fall will be the first time they will not be in the same class. DS was accepted into the SWAS (School Within a School) for 5th grade. They will both take the EXPLORE in October and we'll go from there.

Love this forum and find it a little addictive - have to check in at least once a day to see how everyone's doing smile

M
    M
    M&M's - thanks, I do love my trio of terror laugh

your son sounds like he has found his thing - and that is so cool!

I have to agree - I check in here at least daily as well, I think the big thing is knowing that somewhere, someone else is experiencing what I am, trying to figure out stuff the same as me etc. and that you guys will understand. That above all means so much!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Mr W (3y5m) had an earache. We went to the Pediatrician. His normal Ped was out, so another Doc filled in.

When the Doc came in, he said, "So I hear we are not feeling good."

"Daddy is ok. I am the one sick." said Mr W.

Doc looks over at Mr W.

"My right ear hurts, again. Its probably an ear infection. I think I need amoxycillin. My mommy is taking it now."

Doc looks starts looking at his charts. "How old is he?"

LOL

---

Mr W (3y5m) got a new baby sitter.

He let her get the tour before starting the interrogation. After the third question, she sitter just stared at him with her mouth open.

"How did you find out about this job?"
    "How old are you?"
    "Do you have a boyfriend?"
    "Do you like to watch the movie cars?"
    "What kind of car do you have?"
    etc
    etc

At midnight, we got a text.

"I've tried everything. He is still awake!"

LOL

@Austin: This is why I read this group.

<splurk>

We had a bad babysitting experience the other day. Really bad. I NEEDED that giggle.

-Mich.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    T
    T
    What a wonderful forum...you do start hiding what your kids do for fear others will make a comment about you bragging. We are all just proud mama's so it's nice to hear things other gifted kids do!

A few stories of my own:

Very proud of DS11 this year. He was asked-by a very picky piano teacher-to play in an adult performance festival. Not only did he memorize his entire piece-the only one to do that-he and another older adult pianist chose the same piece. DS performed unfortunately after him, and played it better, receiving a standing ovation. I had tears in my eyes...

DS10 just took state assessments 2 years ahead of his class-just because-and received the only perfect score by anyone in the school. He also told a substitute teacher when she was making small talk that he was feeling "melancholy" because a friend was "distraught about the loss of a beloved pet".

Proud, proud mama!!

My first brag:

Just this last month our son is finally consistently dry at night. (4.4 years) One of his pet-peeves is pulling up his underwear after using the toilet. Yesterday morning he told DH that "in the future there will be electric underwear that pull themselves up." Then he went on to say he's an inventor and will invent them.

I thought he did a good job seeing a "need" and figuring out a way to meet it. wink

A
    A
    Ametrine, that's great news!

Today DS10 was in a mini Spelling Bee they had at camp for fun today. (It's Summer Institute for the Gifted) Anyway, he told me the words were too easy. He said they gave him some easy word so he told them to give him a harder one. I think it was pedestrian, which he spelled correctly. He said, "they should have given me words like sternocleidomastoid or gastrocnemius" Both of which he defined and spelled correctly which I had to confirm by googling lol

DS 2yr 9mo had his follow-up speech assessment today. He was a late-talker and we went through a program this past spring to encourage language development. It really was a bunch of hooey, in my opinion, but it coincided with his language explosion so they are taking the credit, LOL. Anyway... he totally kicked butt! I was so proud of how well he paid attention and interacted. The SLP just kept going and going and at the end was flipping through the assessment a few pages at a time until she gave up somewhere around 4 yrs of age for comprehension. His language was pretty close behind. He will still need to be followed for a few phonetical sounds, but otherwise he has made great progress.

At the end, I could see him hitting the wall. Finally he looked at her and said in his lispy little voice "Litbit" (her name was Elizabeth) "I all done. I need apple juice and a bear paw now." I told him that he did a great job and he smiled and said, "Yes, now I done like dinner." I could just squeeze the stuffing out of him sometimes.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 117 of 268 1 2 115 116 117 118 119 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM