Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
    My DS 4.5 is obsessed with music! He could sit on itunes all day listening to bands and memorizing track lists from Cds.

I just signed him up for drum lessons, against my better judgement.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    My oldest DS looooved wheels. Anything with wheels! He carted toy cars around the way other childen cart a security blanket or teddy. smile We were not really car people at all, so it was very funny. As he got older, he was into clocks (he got a cuckoo clock for his fourth birthday), trains, cogs, motors, etc. It was wonderful to watch it develop.

DS2 seems to be into animals,especially cats. Anything from common house cats to lions and tigers. He's only 2.5, so I'm curious as to the direction that will go.

Right now the boy's found a swimming hole and turned into a fish. �He actually seems passionate about other people and what they're doing, come to think of it. �(aka pestering). �When we went somewhere he made sure to ask if we packed his books, meaning a workbook or two. �
    He likes whatever just happened and loves to be the one to tell it. �He tries to be aware of what's going to happen and wants to be the one to choose. �Mr. Observation wants to be where the action is. �He'll play with anything for a good length of time. �Last year he pushed everything around like a car. �He just learned how to look through this little pocket lite-up microscope and he got a magnifying lens. �He'll tell you "I wanna be a rockstar".
    He's scared of crickets, of all things.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by intparent
    Lol... definitely not a boy chasing activity for D, she just likes all things bio. She does find mounting the bugs a little "squicky" sometimes, but likes the identification process. And is very proud of them once they are mounted! Today she was musing, though, that she can identify things in the microscope without having to stick them with pins. And she was also saying that she is getting tired of working on bio things that others have discovered, and is ready to make her own discoveries. I think this is a good sign smile

Good for her. smile I used to love to look at the displays of various bugs from other continents. Some are downright scary, though.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Trina
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Aiden, now 4.5 is big into astronomy (has been since age 2) and anatomy (also since age 2.5). We have a lunar eclipse tonight and said that he can stay up to watch it. he is besides himself with excitement.
    We got up early here to watch the eclipse as the moon set. DS (also 4.5) was so excited to watch the moon slowly disappear. Unfortunately it set from our point of view just before the eclipse was total, but it was still great to watch. We've just finished our "warming up" breakfast of porridge and hot chocolates, and DS has gone off to read some more about the eclipse.

Passions - letters and numbers at about 18 months, then space / astronomy at about 2 - 2.5. From about three he got really interested in maps / flags and geography in general. The human body was next and is still a little bit of an interest but at the moment it's weather that's his main interest.

Thought you'd both be interested in this:
    Scientists ID Mysterious Flash in Distant Galaxy

B
    B
    At the moment for DS3.5 it is the human body and how all the systems work, space, unscrewing and fixing all his trucks, building circuits, reading, string music, measuring things... its hard to keep track smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Amber
    My DS 4.5 is obsessed with music! He could sit on itunes all day listening to bands and memorizing track lists from Cds.

I just signed him up for drum lessons, against my better judgement.

hahaha that sounds like fun - please share photos with us! smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    Originally Posted by Trina
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Aiden, now 4.5 is big into astronomy (has been since age 2) and anatomy (also since age 2.5). We have a lunar eclipse tonight and said that he can stay up to watch it. he is besides himself with excitement.
    We got up early here to watch the eclipse as the moon set. DS (also 4.5) was so excited to watch the moon slowly disappear. Unfortunately it set from our point of view just before the eclipse was total, but it was still great to watch. We've just finished our "warming up" breakfast of porridge and hot chocolates, and DS has gone off to read some more about the eclipse.

Passions - letters and numbers at about 18 months, then space / astronomy at about 2 - 2.5. From about three he got really interested in maps / flags and geography in general. The human body was next and is still a little bit of an interest but at the moment it's weather that's his main interest.

Thought you'd both be interested in this:
    Scientists ID Mysterious Flash in Distant Galaxy
    that's so cool! thanks smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    S
    S
    DS1 (3 y/o) walked up to the child care providers at the YMCA and said, and I quote, "I'm interested in vehicles. Where are your vehicle toys?"

He can identify far more cars by sight than I can, and has now moved on to train engines.

DS (almost 3) still only likes trains. Started when he was 9 months and saw his first episode of Thomas. His grandmother bought him an engine and he has pretty much had at least one in his hand at all times since that moment.

I guess on the bright side... he knows an awful lot about trains for a two year old. He learned all of his colour and numbers from watching Thomas on TV. He can name every single engine on the Thomas website (I think there are 90). He has us take him on 'stake outs' of the train tracks in our area so he can see real trains. He likes to video tape them and then have us post them on You Tube (and no, I'm not kidding) and then he likes to watch thousands of videos about trains at crossings.

His only gadgets are skads of toy trains, tracks and accesories. He has a train table and spends 90% of his waking time playing with it. He really likes to act out stories from his books or episodes that he watches.

Almost seems a little obsessive to me. Personally, I'm damn sick of the trains!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM