Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #105042 06/15/11 06:27 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm looking for the best math program for a combination of accleration/remediation for my 2e DS9. Any thoughts on aleks versus time4learning or any other programs I may not have heard about? DS is not self motivated, so the more visually interesting and "fun", the better.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm also looking at Unique Math at Let's Go Learning.

Thoughts? Anyone?

I've never used time4learning, but my DS loved using Aleks for a few months in 4th grade (they had been working on perimeter for 6 weeks, writing letters about ordering bricks to build an airport runway, or some such) and DS said: I hate MATH!

So we afterschooled a bit with Aleks.

I loved it because if DS got 3 questions right, he moved on to the next problem. If he made a mistake, he had to practice. It was so cool watching Behaviorism in action. DS found 'new material' to be a positive reinforcer, and he would modify his 'careless' behavior to avoid the negative reinforcer of practice and gain the positve reinforcer of new material. Wow! That was something to see. Much more effecitive for my DS that inspirational speeches or emotional appeals.

I did sit with him, and he prefered me to explain how to do stuff than Alek's explaination page. I sometimes refered to 'homework help.com' to remember what the procedure was and then teach it to DS.

But he found it very satisfying to fill in the pie shaped pieces and 'unlock' now material to try.

He didn't hate math anymore, and he learned that at least in some situations, checking his work was in his best interest!

smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Time4learning is definitely the winner in "fun" but it isn't anywhere near as serious as a straight math program. T4L has all subjects and the kids earn time in the playground for completed work. It also doesn't require that a child repeat what is done incorrectly.

Aleks is self correcting, it doesn't allow the child to move on without being correct. The other program that I really like is Conquersmath which is a UK based program but is really comprehensive and the explanations are better than in Aleks. The only drawback that we found was in money problems as they are written in pounds.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you for the recommendation on Aleks. We did the assessment and some lessons last night as part of a free trial. It is great! DS has ADHD, inattentive type, so he tends to rush as quickly through work as possible. He is not motivated by grades, so he really does not care if he gets the answer wrong. He just wants to get the work done and move on. Well, Aleks won't let him do that. He has to get the answers right in order to be "finished". He was so frustrated, but it is just what he needs. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM