Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Wren), 0 Guests and 166 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 114 of 263 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #104718 - 06/11/11 07:38 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: La Texican]
    Madoosa Offline

Loc: South Africa
    Originally Posted By: La Texican
    Michaela! That's Genuinely very brag-worthy.

Espy8.5m old.  Yesterday she just felt like showing off to me.  She said neh-neh-neh and did nosy-nosy with me, which I showed her.  I said Aww.  She said "heh" and bumped her forehead to my forehead.  (which I didn't show her but I guess Wyatt did).  Then she put her eye to my eye and said eye.  Then later this morning she blew a kiss to me and did the same three things again.  Then she stuck out her tongue and grabbed it and said very clearly "I got your tongue." Then she said "I love you.  Morning.". I taught her I love you already only.  This evening she said I love you Mamma.  I've been trying to get her to call me Mamma.  She's made the sound crying, but this is the first time she used it as a name.  She's starting to toddle, letting go of things for a step or two.  Even letting go with both hands to bend down and pick things up.  Bursting with love and pride while thinking, "you were just born yesterday."

awwww that is such a precious stage smile

#104726 - 06/11/11 08:31 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    Is this Socratic or critical thoughtful:

Wyatt recited "Humpty Dumpty to my grandfather, then asked me a question.
    Wyatt: was it his wall?
    Me: I think it was the king's wall.
    Wyatt: what was he doing up there?
    Me: that was a good question.  What was Humpty Dumpty doing on the king's wall just before he fell?
    Grandfather: wiggling.
    ?

K.  I'm off to write the screenplay.  Just thought I'd like 2 share.

#104792 - 06/12/11 04:40 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    sydness Offline

My 5 year old daughter memorized the first chaper of the secret garden...junior addition...many people don't even have the attention span to watch the whole vidoe! even though she does a GREAT job reciting it! lol

#104798 - 06/12/11 05:58 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Grinity Offline

Loc: Connecticut
    DS14 finally returned from his first year of boarding school (9th grade sub-two) and his goal was to maintain a GPA over 95% so that he could get the highest honor roll level.

He did it! He got a 96.5 GPA in his classes for the final trimester, which is heavily influenced by finals. Last year he could barely bring himself to study 3 hours total for finals. This year he set up 'on-line flashcards' 2 weeks in advance to learn vocab words for the English final, and worked though 5 pages of Physics problems to prepare for this Physics test. He got an 100% on his Physics test - the teacher had to introduce a curve to help out the rest of the class.

His may seem like a strange brag for a YS kid, but with his ADD getting the level of focus and and perspective-taking to get in the high 90s really says a lot about his work ethic, his willingness to follow the teachers' lead, and his engagement with the material. When he was young, I expected learning to be fun, but now he has matured into a kid who can do the job, fun or not. (as long as it's a little bit fun! Which it is!)

Plus he learned how to run a couple of miles for fun and and fitness, and he discovered that he enjoys casual basketball games. He's looking forward to trying out for the basketball team next year, and one the teachers is supporting him to start a 'Settler's of Catan' playing club, since it was quite popular this year after DS introduced it. His best friend at school wrote in his yearbook that DS was the person who taught him the most this year. Aww.

And the school facilitated his participation in service programs. They sponsor a Special Olympics, and set him and his best friend up to do weekly play-vists with a local 4 year old with special needs.

I'm bragging about my son, my son's school, my DH for following my lead, and ME - for finding the school and being willing to send DS there - SuperBrag!

Grinity

#104799 - 06/12/11 06:04 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    Grinity

AWESOME job! And congrats to your son.

Sheila

#104801 - 06/12/11 06:41 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    JBDad Offline

Loc: Phila 'burbs
    +1 like Grinity!!!

JB

#104802 - 06/12/11 06:49 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    JBDad Offline

Loc: Phila 'burbs
    Haven't posted in this thread since it was started way back when... DS was in first. (Now he's just completed 3rd... My how time flies).

This year our PS situation really turned a corner. Starting in the second marking period DS(then)7 was switched to take 6th grade pre algebra for first period in the Middle School. For second marking period he did great and then each marking period after his average kept going up (despite missing a FULL month for state testing).

At the end of the year he got an achievement award for ... the highest overall average in the class. (He tied with one other student).

Lots of bumps along the way but this year ended on a VERY positive note.

JB

#104805 - 06/12/11 06:58 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    onthegomom Offline

That's great. A good job on your part for helping DS get this.

#104806 - 06/12/11 07:04 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Grinity]
    onthegomom Offline

Grinity- Great news! allthe work is paying off. What a great feeling taking this big plunge and it went beyond working.

#104809 - 06/12/11 07:50 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    MumOfThree Offline

Loc: Australia
    Wow grinity, I feel so happy for all of you!

Page 114 of 263 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Grading practices
    by aeh
    10/18/20 12:49 PM
    The Politics of Gifted Education
    by Eagle Mum