Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Ann Offline
    Awww... you make me long for a play date. It's too bad you live in a different state mamabird.

This is my own totally unscientific observation, but I think there are those two types of HG+ kids: the Obsessive (my DS6) and the Omnivore.

It sounds like you have an Omnivore on your hands. It's a lot less boring to a non-obsessed parent, so you've got that going for you.

Our most boringly Obsessive phase was either his "memorize every make and model in the Consumer Reports car edition" phase when he was potty training, or the NASCAR phase that followed hot on its heels. Ugh. Both were brutal for a non-car mom.

But I can't really complain. After I had kids, I realized that I'm a serial Obsessive myself, so DS6 comes by it honestly...

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I could use a good play date myself Ann. I joined a early childhood family education course that the school district puts on when DS was around 4 months old and no one could really relate as my son was crawling all over the room and babbling constantly and all the other 4 month olds were just kind of sitting (or laying) around. We never really fit in with that group and then I kind of just gave up on it.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Interesting observations Kriston...

I do have to say that I am really starting to get sick of the train craze!!

Actually, the St. Paul children's museum seemed perfect for my two year old last summer, and a bit young for my dd 7. It's definitely geared toward *young* children. You should check it out with your little one.

Of course at age two even a walk in the park is exciting- everything is so amazing when the world is new!

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by mamabird
    I do have to say that I am really starting to get sick of the train craze!!

>>teehee<< My DS2 is also a train lover. The last train-related play date we had was with 4yo twins (boy/girl). The boy referred to an engine by the incorrect name. My son tried to correct him and the other boy got mad at my son. DS's feelings were hurt b/c his observation was soundly dismissed.

Welcome mamabird! I had one obsessed with trains too and I also got a wee bit tired of it. grin My oldest also played this imaginary game about two of his friends at pre-school and we played that almost daily for about 3 years. He could bring it up and my eyes would begin to flutter with sleepiness. I definitely got very tired of that one.

Science museums, art parks, touring a nearby dairy, concerts in the park, even children's theater plays can all be appropriate for a 2 year old if they have any sort of interest or attention span for that kind of thing. Sporting events, air shows, etc. All of these we did with my DS10 when he was 2 or there abouts. He had an amazing attention span (longer than mine usually!) and would want to stay until the very end. Just go with your DS's interests and attention level and you can't go wrong. smile

Mia Offline
    Ooh, we didn't have trains, but we did have construction trucks ... ds was hardly talking at 2.5, but was peeping up from the back seat as we drove:

"Giant excavator truck!"
    "Double drum compactor truck!"
    "Skid steer!"
    "Articulated dump truck!"

We've got an omnivore, by and large, though. smile

Mia
    We had the constructon vehicles obsession, too, when DS6 was about 18 months. That was one of my favorites, actually, in part because of funnies like this:

DS pointed to the shirt of a much older boy--he was probably a 5yo--which had pictures of construction equipment on it. DS said "That's a bobcat." The older boy looked mad and said, "No, that's a digger!" He started lecturing DS about it, and DS didn't know any better but to politely disagree. Naturally I stepped in.

All this happened in line for a visit with Santa at a playgroup meeting. Santa, played by the dad of one of the kids, overheard and laughed to me, "Your son is right. That's a bobcat, plain as day."

smile

Kriston
    My DS10 was also obsessed with construction vehicles. When he was about 2 he and my dad got into an argument about what type of loader something was - a skid steer or a front end - and I told my dad I would have to go with DS as I was sure he was right! My dad just laughed but my husband confirmed it was a skid steer just as DS said. We had these great little videos, I Love Big Machines, that he loved to watch over and over. They played the William Tell Overture in one part and he'd stand there and run in place to the music while watching the machines. Aaaaahhhh......memories smile

Funny how several of them liked the construction vehicles!

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM