Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I would like to start by saying I really do appreciate all of you taking the time to read my post and respond with resources and advice. As a highly intellectual, middle class, working woman, I believe I will be able to form my own conclusions about the work people have done on this topic. Hopefully, without offending anyone I will say that I really do appreciate all the feedback and advice, but I don't particularly enjoy weeding through the bickering to find it.

Moving on...

I thought it was a very interesting comment made about children this age not normally engaging in play with other children, but rather, they engage in parallel play. (Sometimes I forget this is true) I commented about this to the daycare lady this morning and she said she finds it very interesting how he is so involved in actual play with the older children. When he is there, it sounds like he is somewhat of a ring-leader. One of the favorite things they play, once again, is trains. DS and his little buddy will line up and crawl around the room gathering "passengers" or "freight." One of them will be the engine and the other will be the coach car or the freight car. They will "hook up" by the second "car" holding on to the first "car's" feet. We often engage in this game at home as well (it is starting to take a toll on my knees!)

I also thought Kimck's comments about the furnace, plumbing, electrical work, etc was somewhat comical. My husband and I recently purchased a fixer-upper house and we are doing most of the repair ourselves. Our son is beside himself learning about all of the fixing we are doing. We purchased some little plastic tools for him last summer at a garage sale and it was the best $2 I think I ever spent! He followed DH around for a good hour last weekend "helping him" install new switches and outlets. Also, every time we go down into the basement, he has to check to see if the furnace is on. It is hilarious!

I like all of your thoughts on going to museums, zoos, etc. I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis, MN, so I have lots of great resources very nearby. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut in the winter, because of how darn cold it gets here!! It is often times easier just to stay home! I think I will check into what exhibits they have running in the near future at our children's museum and science museum! Great thought everybody, THANKS!

acs Offline
    Mamabird,

Museums etc can be great, but don't worry if they aren't a "hit" at this age.

We live quite a ways out of town and I remember being very excited about taking DS to the zoo for the first time when he was just 4. We looked at several exhibits, showing him our favorite animals (sloth bear and ocelot), but it was hard to keep him engaged. We took a lunch break and he started chasing squirrels. Then after lunch we checked out the reptiles and apes. When we got home we asked him what his favorite animals and he said enthusiastically "The Squirrels!!!" We have 3 families of sqirrels living in our yard, so I swore that I would save my admission money for when DS was older.

Mamabird-

I was in St. Paul with my kids last summer. The science museum was wonderful and my little girls loved the children's museum too! Are these the museums you are referring to, or are there others located in Minneapolis itself?

Just curious-

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Lorel

Those are the museums I am referring to. I have not taken my son to the museums yet, because I thought maybe he was too young. We have, however, gone to the zoos here several times. It is nice, we have one zoo that has lots of animals that are really more in a "wildlife habitat." That one is a little spendier to get in, and the animals are sometimes more difficult to see. We also have a small zoo and conservatory that is FREE to get in to. We frequent that one in the summer!

Oooh! Free zoo! laugh

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Ooh, zing, mamabird! Good on you. smile

Welcome to the board. Your ds sounds very bright indeed -- you're certainly in the right place. As others have said, at his age you'll want to follow his interests and allow him to develop them as far as he wants. If he seems interested in 3D shapes, expose him to cubes, spheres and pyramids -- there's no reason a 2.5yo shouldn't learn these things! Show him parallelograms, rhombi, and trapezoids, if he seems intrigued by shapes.

My ds was about your ds's age when I started to realize that he was a bit different. It's so much fun to watch them develop and grow through those preschool years! My ds was in full-time daycare as well, though we switched him to Montessori when he was 4 (and now he's in public K), and he doesn't seem scarred.

Really, as long as your ds is enjoying himself at home and at school, you don't necessarily need to do anything "special" at this point, other than allow him the freedom to explore areas that interest him -- even if those aren't the typical interests of a 2yo.

Again, welcome!

Mia
    W
    W
    First of all Kriston, I apologize if you took offense. None intended. I did say I started back to work and if you spend hours talking to traders everyday, you get to the point and you don't time for the niceties. Time is money.

So please, did not mean to insult. I think you all extrapolated from my opinion and did not care to read what I wrote. And incog, my DD3 did fit into a level 4/5 according to her milestones. So please don't assume, I am insulted and are you going to apologize to me?

The point is/was/ Mamabird has this amazing child and is experiencing what many of us experienced with our DC at 2. It was very confusing to me and although all these people were coming up to me saying, "you know your child is really smart/amazing etc." there are those inner voices that say yes, she/he is smart but are they really "that smart" like over the top smart.

We talk about testing here and DYS/IEP, homeschooling acceleration, gifted education. How does Ruf's book help in deciding what choices you should make. How do you know if your child scores 200 on the SB if they are level 3 or level 5. Because even though they scored 200, they might have low motivation and only be a level 3. Though according to Ruf, that could change. How you define the change is not clear.

I came to this forum as a newbie, read Ruf's book and after wondered why? I am glad it helps so many, but Mamabird may be like me. It is nice to know that there are others.

One of the things that us with young children want to understand is the non-linear calculations and understandings that come out of their mouths at 2 and 3. When I talked with Hunter, that was what she was interested in.

I have tried to start topics on the non-linear and linear on this forum and did not really get responses. I thought I would find something in Ruf's book. Did not. I have researched to understand it better myself and how that plays out in her cognitive developement, particularly as her linear capacity grows. To me, this is most helpful with a very young child.

Incog, perhaps I am the stupid one and just needs to take a different path.

Ren

Ann Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    So please, did not mean to insult. I think you all extrapolated from my opinion and did not care to read what I wrote. And incog, my DD3 did fit into a level 4/5 according to her milestones. So please don't assume, I am insulted and are you going to apologize to me?

Oh, my. shocked I have to admit that I'm rather perplexed. This seems so far out in left field that I don't know what to say or where to begin... which is why I won't.

What does your DS like to do, Mamabird? Is he the sort who is curious about everything or is he more the obsessive type, learning all there is to learn about one subject before moving on, with only minor curiosity about other topics?

Or is it too soon to tell?

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    He is definitely not obsessive. His four big areas of interest are books, trains, tools and his kitchen/cooking stuff. He tends to focus on one for a while and then revert back to one of the others. I would not say these are the only things he enjoys though. He also really likes cars, trucks, and other things that go; he loves to climb and swing at the park; he enjoys doing puzzles; taking care of his babies; etc. He seems to be a pretty well rounded kid thus far. He has also displayed good social skills. He is fairly sensitive when it comes to his emotions and coping, but I tend to think that has more to do with him being two than anything else.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM