Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Oh, yes! Generally speaking, the average 2.5yo doesn't actually play, 1-on-1-style, with a 5yo. They're still in the parallel play stage, with little interaction. From what you described, I don't think any of us doubt that you have a GT child--and probably an HG+ child--on your hands.

Second-guessing yourself is normal. But it's good to get past it quickly and start seeing what you're really dealing with. Parenting these kids is wonderful...and hard...and scary..and even heartbreaking sometimes. But the sooner you realize what you have on your hands, the sooner you can start dealing with reality.

You're about 3.5 years ahead of where I was when I figured it out! smile Good on ya'!

Now the journey begins!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    You're about 3.5 years ahead of where I was when I figured it out! smile Good on ya'!

Ha! I really envy the people who are so ahead of the game on this issue.

It sounds like you're doing everything right to me! A day care situation where he can interact with bigger kids sounds ideal.

Even thought I didn't know my son was GT until 6, I was home with him as a preschooler and just followed his lead. I just assumed every other preschooler out there pursued science experiments and was obsessed in great detail with bacteria, germs, plumbing, electrical work, furnaces, etc. I don't think my son is too scarred by me not knowing just by following his lead and listening to my intuition. He attended a very part time play based preschool that was totally open ended and had a science component to it. It worked out quite well.

You'll want to continually reasses the day care/preschool situation but the status quo sounds really great!

W
    W
    Good morning,

OK Kriston, as an upper white family, I think I can call it as I see it. My DH was even more critical of Ruf's book. He thought it was a total ego stroker. She never said what she used to define her levels except some subjettive standard she had of measuring motivation. She did not even say how she observed these differences in motivation, how long, over what period of time. It was purely her judgement.

And her projections of penetration of these giftedness. Half the class in an upper class neighborhood of highly educated people.

If someone is new, as I was, and reads references to Ruf like it is the forum's bible, I think it fair to say what others think.

Clearly Mamabird has an amazing child. And there is a lot of great advice here. I think it is important to provide reviews of recommendations. Because when I read Ruf's book I posted a question, saying why is this so great because I had not seen a contrary opinion.

Ruf's book is interesting, but not scientific.

Ren

Ren,

For what it's worth, Ruf's work in LOG was pretty much spot on describing my two girls. From the apgar score and alertness at birth, to the early sight reading, santa clause, so on and so on.
    I don't consider it "the bible" on gifted and I think most intelligent adults would realize that to do so wouldn't make much sense.
    Obviously if it doesn't apply to a child, that doesn't mean the child is not gifted.
    I never read the book, probably should. I got my info on her descriptions of LOG she posts online for free.
    I'm not convinced she would post the meat of her results for free online if her motivation was purely the pursuit of money.
    Besides, I haven't seen her on TV at 3:00a.m.!! smile
    But to disregard all of her(Ruf) work because it may not apply to your child, is pretty unscientific as well, I'd think.

Peace,
    Incog

Originally Posted by Wren
    OK Kriston, as an upper white family, I think I can call it as I see it.

It's not your opinion I have trouble with, it's the nasty, insulting tone you're taking. As I said, it's perfectly possible to state your valid problems with Ruf's method and sample size without insulting others.

It's not the first time you've been disrespectful to those of us on the forum, though it is the most glaring example. So I'm calling it as I see it.

While there are plenty of contrary opinions on the forum about Ruf--we had a lively and interesting debate about her work not long ago--everyone managed to discuss the book without turning the conversation into a personal attack, as you have done.

You don't have to like Ruf. You are welcome to tell us that you don't like Ruf. But if Ruf is an ego-stroker, pure and simple, then those of us who found help in her books must be too stupid to see that she's a snake-oil salesman. That's unfair and it's mean. What's more, you can make your point without resorting to such treatment of others. Civil disagreement is possible.

Her work has helped a lot of us. We are educated, intelligent people who read a lot, and her work helped us. Insulting us helps no one, and it might very well chase away someone who found help through Ruf's book because she's going to think this forum is unfriendly to her and her child. I won't put up with that. That's not the forum I joined.

I'm asking you to please be polite. That's all I'm asking for.

Kriston
    K
    K
    I know what you mean too! After I typed my response in, I thought that I kind of feel bad about following my DD3 around with my GT radar now on. I felt like DS's preschool years were so fun and carefree and exploratory. Our area sounds very similar. Most of our friend's kids would definitely qualify for a general GT program.

I think this is part of the reason that homeschooling is looking better all the time since we have the ability to do it right now. Creating our own cluster!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Now Kriston, I was trying to change the subject, LOL!

Sorry, Dottie! We crossposted. It took me some time to compose that message and myself...

Yes, please, change the subject!

One of the reasons we didn't realize just how bright DS6 is, I think, is because at least 3 of the kids in our playgroup were at least vanilla GT, and one of those I'm sure is MG or maybe even HG. It made me think that they were average and DS was MG.

Those natural clusters can be good in some ways and distracting in others...

They're great for HSing though! smile

Kriston
    K
    K
    I've written a couple times, Ruf's levels really don't work for my kid. At least as he was as a preschooler. It's a fairly narrow listing of traits and abilities. There's nothing about complex lego sets, preschool multiplication, obsession with the world's religions, or analysis of plumbing systems which was where DS was at as a prescholer. The reading piece really was what made us think we just had maybe a MG kid. I take it for what it's worth - a loose guideline.

I still have great respect for Ruf and her work. I've also seen her speak. I think she's done amazing and important things in this field. I'd love to take DS to her.

We can (and should )have lively discussion on issues while still being polite.

Originally Posted by kimck
    There's nothing about complex lego sets, preschool multiplication, obsession with the world's religions, or analysis of plumbing systems which was where DS was at as a prescholer.

LOL! This list makes me really want to meet your DS. What a fun and interesting kid!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    LOL! This list makes me really want to meet your DS. What a fun and interesting kid!

It'd be great to get a lot of these kids together! I bet they would have a blast and solve a few of the world's problems. smile

Seeing that list makes me miss the preschool DS! I'm really looking forward to homeschooling and getting some of his fire back.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM