Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #10450 03/05/08 12:58 PM
    OP Offline
    Any experience with the school psychologists & your gifted child? I'm not sure how they work with the gifted coordinator in most schools. Who identifies, who tests, who helps make plans for the childs education?
    I've met with the gifted teacher, I've met with the regular teacher, tomorrow I'm going to drop in at the 'chat with the counselor' monthly open visitation time. She oversees the counselor in training who works with GS8 on behavior issues.

At times I just feel clueless about everything the school does. The gifted teacher mentioned some of the testing that is routinely done, but glossed over it so quickly I got the impression I wasn't supposed to know about it.

OP Offline
    Oooohhh, I *loved* Columbo! Now I have to get in character for tomorrow morning...

K
    K
    The beauty of no-child left behind is the language - I believe - legally applies to gifted children. any child that needs special services in any sense. If we return to public and no-child is still in place, i would demand (plesantly) a WEP or and IEP (some kind of writen plan to enumerate how my child's special needs will be met). It is my limited understanding that - while it may not be offered - if you ask for one they have to spend the time to craft one. Maybe someone else can put some meat on that thought or point of if i'm way off base.

And I agree... just keep asking questions. And if it were me, I'd keep asking myself is any success my child achieves of merit if it is significantly less than their potential.

Uh keep in mind, my kids are still little :-) so I could be full of poop.

Originally Posted by kickball
    I would demand (pleasantly) a WEP or and IEP (some kind of writen plan to enumerate how my child's special needs will be met). It is my limited understanding that - while it may not be offered - if you ask for one they have to spend the time to craft one.

Believe me, it's easier said than done. Only a few states (Pennsylvania and ?) provide IEPs for GT kids. I don't think NCLB is going to help you on this because your child won't look "behind".

IEPs are not just there for the asking. Schools typically dig in their heels at this sort of "demand".

Cathy

TN still does IEPs for GT kids with no problem. Don't know what other states do though.

K
    K
    But legally - aren't they obligated (this only coming from a attorney friend with an interest in this not her area)? I'm notdisagreeing but trying to see what a poop hole will fall in if we switch to public.

It's called "No Child Left Behind" not "Every Child Gets Ahead" for a reason--the ones ahead basically get ignored.

Kriston
    Very funny Kriston!!!!

Kickball, I love your gratuitous use of the word poop.

NCLB applies to and covers emotional issues, I've been told. Wouldn't that apply to GT kids that are suffering emotionally due to boredom and repetitive work?

I'm not trying to be funny, I really think there is some verbage in there somewhere that covers that, I havent' been able to find it, but I havent' looked to hard.
    Maybe I'll attempt to find something this weekend.

Incog

Okay, okay, I can't wait til this weekend:

more recent piece of legislation aimed at all children and youth is the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) signed into law in 2002 by President Bush. In NCLB, the emotional well-being of all children is addressed and a specific section of the Act (Title V) outlines initiatives aimed at assuring the emotional well-being of America�s youth. With 53 million children in school and an estimated 20% of all children meeting criteria, at a point in time, for a diagnosable mental illness at a level of impairment that requires some type of intervention (Kutash et al., 2005), there is the potential that over 10 million children will need some type of help to meet the goals relating to emotional well-being in NCLB. These numbers reveal the scope of the challenge for the nation to meet the mental health needs of America�s school age children and youth.

From this link:
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:O27UXiYcCDAJ:rtckids.fmhi.usf.edu/rtcpubs/study04/SBMHchapter5.pdf+nclb+emotional&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

There it is, emotional well-being. Well, I think I can make a case that my child's emotional well being is harmed when he/or she is made to choose between appropriate school work or going to recess with the other kids.
    That one's for you questions.

Now I just have to locate the original NCLB title V and read it.

More to come.

Incog

Okay, here is something else i found in the actual NCLB document:

A-Z INDEX
    Part H � School Dropout Prevention

SEC. 1801 | SEC. 1802 | SEC. 1803

SEC. 1801. SHORT TITLE.

This part may be cited as the 'Dropout Prevention Act'.

SEC. 1802. PURPOSE.

The purpose of this part is to provide for school dropout prevention and reentry and to raise academic achievement levels by providing grants that �

(1) challenge all children to attain their highest academic potential; and

(2) ensure that all students have substantial and ongoing opportunities to attain their highest academic potential through schoolwide programs proven effective in school dropout prevention and reentry.

http://www.ed.gov/policy/elsec/leg/esea02/pg15.html

Read number 2 carefully......... have substantial opportunity to attain highest academic potential effective in school drop-out prevention.

So, wouldn't a kid who realizes they already mastered the curriculum wonder why they were going to school and then,,,maybe,,,,,,,drop out?

Oh yeah, that happened to me.

Anyone else seeing this the same way I am?

I

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM