Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Sorry so off. Just junk. The bridge between potential and services... it doesn't seem like it is cost - more attitudes. I loved the authors remarks in the time mag article from august i think - he made the analogy that people won't think that if they practiced enough they could be michael jordon but with raw intellectual potential it is a serious fobile to even elude to such a thing. It brings me back to a comment from an orginal post that this isn't going to be easy. i feel like i've done something wrong somehow and on the other i feel like this is just god's blessing on them... i'd love to stick my head in the sand.

speaking of junk, there is a lot to sort through. I'm going to read more on the weekend when I'm trying to fall asleep.
    There is a referenced group called "at risk children" I'll have to see if it is more narrowly defined, if anyone knows, please let me know before I go into nclb-language-coma.

I'd assume if there were loopholes, some gifted organization somewhere would already have lawyers involved, right?

Is there any funding attached? I think that's the problem. It SOUNDS great to talk about the emotional well-being of kids and improving the drop-out rate, but if there's no $$$ attached, it's all just words.

And no one is thinking GT there, I'm positive, so even if there are funds available, they're not being used for GT kids because that's not the interpretation of the act that anyone (but us!) is taking.

I'd love to see you take that particular ball and run with it though, 'Neato! Boy, oh, boy! Would I love that!!!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    OK, the Columbo approach got pretty much what I wanted.

I was not altogether surprised to find out that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, meaning the school counselor was not aware GS8 was accepted into the gifted program, and the gifted teacher was not aware of GS8's background.
    The counselor I spoke with has known GS8 for 3 years, but has not worked with him much. She has overseen the student counselors who have worked with him the last 2 years. We have graduate students from the local university doing internships(?) as counselors at the local schools. The official school counselor oversees their work.
    Luckily the student counselor who has been seeing GS8 this year stopped by and we had a nice talk. The school counselor asked if he would be able to administer an IQ test. He was pretty excited about doing that. I think what he lacks in experience will be compensated by his knowlege of GS and his excitement about administering the test. He talked about how GS will really enjoy taking the test(I agree!), and how he'll plan it to work around GS's teachers schedule so he won't miss anything important in class, and how he'll break it up over a couple days. He commented favorably about GS's eagerness & drive to learn.

So, I got a little more insight on how disconnected the various services are. If nothing else, that just made me feel better about taking an active role in his education & school environment. Notice I split 'education' & 'school environment' apart. I've come to conclude very little education happens in the school environment for the children who are outside the 'norm'. We'll get IQ tests done at no cost to us. And we'll have a better idea of his strengths & weaknesses.

Way to go Columbo! Nice work! It sounds like a very favorable result.

So, are you going to loan out that overcoat and cigar to others? wink

Kriston
    OP Offline
    No, I didn't ask which test would be used. I'm not sure if we have a school psychologist. I probably should have been a bit more clear about the student counselor. Not only does he report to the school counselor, he's actually under the authority of the university's psychology department. It's my understanding that he is working at the school as part of his education towards his doctorate in psychology. The student counselor GS had last year graduated with his doctorate at the end of last year and went to a residential program for troubled youths as a psychologist.

At this time, I'm hoping this IQ test will give us some insight into GS & his abilities. My plan is for GS to take the Explore in January to get an idea of his achievement level. We're so blasted busy, and he's happy in school right now, I didn't see any push to do the Explore this year.

Another thing that held me back on doing the Explore this year are his test scores over that last 2 years. The counselor pulled out his results from the Terra Nova at grade level 2.1. At that time his math percentile was 67%, reading was his top score in the 80's. At grade level 3.1, his Ohio Achievement test in reading almost topped out. Since then he's gained another year in reading level, up to 6.5. His ITBS math score taken at 3.4 grade level put him at the 98 percentile. Like I told his teachers & the counselors, he just seems to have exploded this year and is learning a LOT. If this is the beginning of an upward trend in his achievement, I want to be prepared. If this was just a blip on the radar, that's OK too. But I'm figuring even an IQ test administered by a student counselor will give us an idea about which it is.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 03/06/08 10:25 AM.
    K
    K
    Funding attached question. No I don't think there is funding attached... but the w/ the limited first goal of forcing a school's hand to draft a wep or iep for a gt kid. You guys found some great leverage. nothing like the fear of legal action just from citing the rules and knowing enough not to be spun back into your seat

The purpose of this part is to provide for school dropout prevention and reentry and to raise academic achievement levels by providing grants that

Grants provided, says so right there. How much and to who? The big money question. My school district isn't hurting for funds. My quest is to tie my child's unconventional learning needs to NCLB standards so they will feel more justified in making accomodations. Not so much so I can bring in a lawyer and crucify them. The principal is a good person. From their standpoint, though, they have to justify situations where they provide some things "extra" or "different" for the child.

I just got off the phone with the social worker regarding DD5 in K. She had observed her in class. Both teacher and Social worker find no issues.

We spoke at more length about specifics to DD and I did think she was listening. I asked her if she knew anything about overexcitabilities and to her credit she had admitted she had never heard about it. She said she would look into Dabrowski so we could have a better meeting with teacher and principal.

I look forward to a productive meeting next week.

Wish us luck

I

W
    W
    There is a great article about IEP in the March issue of Parent Guide. I think it is a Manhattan free magazine.

www.parentguidenews.com

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Sounds like your school counselor has more degrees and certs than ours!!!! The particular IQ test had more to do with that certification level than anything else.

GS does sound like he's really taking off, and I think your look ahead plan sounds very reasonable. Best wishes!

Dottie, now that I think about it, the 'student counselor' probably has a higher education than the school counselor. The 'student counselor' is actually finishing his doctorate in psychology, I don't think school counselors have anywhere near that degree.
    GS said the student counselor started the test yesterday. He did 4 parts and will do the other 6 parts next week. That sounds like the WISC, doesn't it?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM