Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #1045 09/12/06 12:53 PM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I have a very outgoing and challenging 3 1/2 year old boy. He has been reading whole books (prefers Dr. Seuss) for about 4 months. He is starting to push me to teach him math and has the jump start 1st grade program for his computer. He can count to 50. He wants to know how everything works.

I have tried to get a curriculum from the local school district but they have been uncooperative. I have also been told that they will not move him ahead or into any "special" programs until he is in 3rd grade. He is in a preschool program 2 days a week and loves playing with other kids, but is not being challenged intellectually.

I don't know where to begin. I was hoping to go back to work when he starts school to suppliment our income. I am now reconsidering, thinking that homeschooling is the only way to keep him interested in learning.

Is he gifted? What do I need to do next? Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks.

#1046 10/24/06 01:07 AM
    Hi Rocksea! Welcome
    It's delightful to hear about your son. I loved the old reader rabbit programs - I think you'll find they have less attitude than jumpstart and the new RR. If you can keep an old pc running for the older software, it will be SO worth it - CD rom games just aren't what they used to be! Of course Math Blaster is excellent as well.

I really enjoyed "deep discussions" with my DS10 when he was 3ish. It sounds like as long as the preschool stays away from trying to teach kids what he already knows, he'll be ok. My son did have some complaints about certian children who "refused to talk to him." Turns out there didn't actually talk to anyone. I made up the concept of a "mouth speaker" and explained that every grows tall at different speeds, and everyone's "mouth speaker" develops at different rates. ((I sure skipped over the idea that not everyone grows to 6ft tall, no matter how long it takes, nor does everyone develop their mouth speaker to the same degree - I was SO not ready to think of my child or myself as gifted back then.))

Does your son like the "1 fish, 2 fish" Dr. Suess or is he into "The Lorax?" Quite a range from that author! My son wasn't reading at that age, but he loved to listen to literature. Chinaberry cataloug brought me the idea of having a "precocious listener."

Will getting a good educational situation be difficult when the time comes? Maybe - but by then you will at least know what to look for. In the meantime, keep your eyes open for work that will allow you to homeschool and work concurrently. There is even a email group of working moms who are homeschooling!

I've enjoyed reading your comments. You belong here, even if your child hasn't entered school yet.

Oh yesss - I reccoment networking locally - participate in your state gifted association, see if there are any Saturday Enrichment Clubs locally, ask around the homeschooling community - lots of those moms homeschool because of the same problems you face.

Best Wishes,
    Trinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #1047 10/24/06 09:30 AM
    G
    G
    Hi Rocksea,

A child who is reading as a young 3 y/o is very unusual, most likely gifted. If your son is gifted, I would do everything you can possibly do to find out what educational options exist in your area. What is the age cutoff for K in your state? Where does his birthday fall in relation to that date?

#1048 10/26/06 05:00 PM
    J
    jja Offline
    J
    Hello everyone,
    I am excited to read Rocksea's post because I have a similar story. My son is almost 2.5 yo. He knew his letter names, numbers, colors and shapes at 18 months but barely talking. At 2 he just started reading letters and numbers on the freeway signs. He is now speaking in 2 to 4 word sentences, reading a little bit, spelling, reading and counting to 40 and doing simple addition. He seems to be unusually fascinated with letters and numbers although he does have other interests and is very outgoing and friendly. He loves to read, often spelling out the words. He also seems to be able to relate letters with words and numbers with numerical values. All of his teachers at his early intervention program believe he is gifted. An OT is very concerned however and told me this is unhealthy and I should try to discourage his interests in letters and numbers. Is she right? Do I have a reason to be concerned? Should I discourage him from his interests in letters and numbers? Or is everyone else correct, is he gifted and the OT just does not know how to recognize this? Is the OT only looking at him according to the "norm" when he clearly does not fit what a typical child is of his age group? I would love to hear what you all think and advise me on what I should do. Thanks.

#1049 10/26/06 09:18 PM
    D
    D
    THen OT is wrong about it being unhealthy for a 2.5 yo to learn. I agree if this child isn't interested yet, don't push, but if he is interested why stifle his mind!? Gifted children learn without anyone making a concerted effort to teach academic subjects.
    Ex. My husband taught himself to read words and "graphs" and tell time at 3 by looking through the TV Guide for the next episode of Seasame Street. My children also did so much spontanously as toddlers, but I made sure not to teach them anything academic because I feared it somehow would rob them of a pleasant childhood.
    I regret that decision now that I understand their needs better.

#1050 10/26/06 11:23 PM
    Hi JJA-
    Welcome! We so glad you found us!

Is that the only OT you are working with? Can you get a 2nd opinoin from an other OT. There are a handful of very deeply gifted children who don't talk early. Read the Ruf book to see how impressive your child's accomplishments are in other domains, but don't think that because he didn't talk as early as some, that it means he isn't gifted.

There is this idea called Asynchrouous Development (sp?) - the idea of Giftedness as a deviation from the normal path of development, so reading may be advanced, motor coordination may be behind, speaking may be normal.

You mention that your child is in an early intervention program. What kinds of issues does he have? There is an expression "2E" or "2Eish" for children who are gifted AND have other issues, such as disibilities, LD, ADHD. It's a myth that every Gifted Child is "cross the board wonderful" even in the intellectual spheres.

So welcome again - welcome home!
    ((Hugs))
    Trinity

#1051 10/27/06 12:29 AM
    J
    jja Offline
    J
    Hi. He was delayed in speech so he is now receiving speech therapy, OT, early intervention. Other than his fascination with letters and numbers, he really does not have any other major isuues now. His speech and motor skills are normal to advance now. He even speaks a few words in Spanish. He loves to sing and dance as well, even playing "air piano". This is why I am planning to enroll him for piano lessons. My son actually taught himself how to read several words. Even the way he learned his letters and numbers, when he was around 16 months old, he would keep taking out letters from his foam puzzle and he would come to me to tell him what letter it was. Even though he wasn't talking at that time, he could correctly point to a color, shape, letter or number when asked. A few months ago, he learned to tell time by asking us a few times. He has a memory that is unfortunately better than mine. He can pick up and understand instructions usually within the first time of telling him. I'm sorry to go on and on about him but I truly believe he is amazing and that his love for letters and numbers is just a product of his eagerness to learn. Another OT did work with him for an hour who also happened to have a gifted 17 yo son. She tells me she can see her son in mine and strongly believes my son is gifted. The speech therapist and the teachers in school all tell me the same thing. However, as a naturally neurotic mom, I worry that I and all the other teachers are wrong and this one OT is right. Am I just overly concerned?

#1052 10/27/06 05:38 AM
    Don't worry about the one OT. There's one in every crowd, unless there is something in your heart of hearts flashing. It's a tough call. I would reccomend documenting in as much detail as you can, all the milestones Ruf uses. Defensive Parenting 101 - LOL!

I believe it is natural to encourage your child to share their interest with you and then to provide the "right-sized" chunk of the world. For thousands of year the whole point of parenting was to introduce the child to the adult world they live in. Humans are born ready to fit in, as well as possible, to a wide variety of habitats, so we're programed to want to learn about the havitat around us. At this moment in culture, letters and number are part of our habitat. When I saw so many kid memorizing long lists of Pokemon, I though, "in another time and place they would be memorising food sources and predator animal habits"

So be a learning partner and enjoy - letters and numbers are perfectly in your domain as much as table manners and free time management!

Trinity

#1053 10/28/06 01:01 AM
    J
    jja Offline
    J
    Thanks Trinity. I ordered Deborah Ruf's book Losing your mind: Gifted Children Left Behind. I hope I can find some answers. Thanks again.

#1054 10/30/06 12:51 AM
    I hope you find your answers. When you get more questions - bring them here!
    Smiles - Trinity

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM