Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 35 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 34 35
    bbq797 #109718 08/19/11 12:30 PM
    T
    T
    No...im just assuming they got it because the school said the fax went through. It said when I submitted the application via email that they would let me know if 3-5 days if the application was complete (i think)

bbq797 #109730 08/19/11 03:44 PM
    O
    O
    I just sent an email to DYS and they confirmed they recieved the teacher's reccomend. Ok now I need to get my part done. It's almost been done for 6 months, which is silly, but no urgency.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/19/11 03:45 PM.
    bbq797 #109737 08/19/11 05:58 PM
    T
    T
    Good luck with getting the rest together onthegomom! It felt good to check one more thing off my list of stuff I had to do today! Best of luck on your DD application! Glad to hear the school did sent the letter!

bbq797 #115094 10/29/11 05:30 PM
    W
    W
    We are working on DD6's application now, and I have a few questions. Only a portion of each of her test scores meet the minimum requirement: her WIAT Reading composite (152) and her WISC-IV PRI (145). Has anyone noticed that if only one subtest of each test meets the minimum requirement, they ask for more information or decline the application altogether?

Also, when filling out the application, I am unsure how much detail to include. I have written 1-2 small paragraphs (4-5 sentences each) for each question, but I feel like that isn't enough. I remember reading on this forum that people often have to go to extra pages, so I suspect our current answers are sparse. And I have also read here that people often take months to work on the application, but what we have took a weekend. I worry that I'm not taking it seriously enough. DD6 could really benefit from DYS's consulting since we are already have issues with school.

My current answers each start with a general statement and then follow with one example of her exhibiting that behavior. Should I include more than one example? I am having trouble thinking of more examples; I suspect it's because her abilities are normal to us. I would hate it if my inability to recognize her strengths prevents her from getting the support they can provide.

Thanks for your help!

bbq797 #115329 11/02/11 11:17 AM
    W
    W
    Thanks master! Now I have another question. Our psychologist did not create a full report with either test - she just went over it verbally with us and gave us the score sheet. On the DYS site, it asks for a full report or "if not possible, an explanation". Therefore, I asked our psych. to create full reports for us, but she will charge me an extra $100 (per report I think). So I sent a question to DYS asking if saving $200 is a good enough reason not to have the full report. Here was their reply:

"When considering applications, the review committee makes every attempt to get a picture of the whole child, which is why full reports are preferred. Full reports usually include tester observations and provide considerations that scores alone can not convey. While we can not ask you to spend extra money on a testing report, it would be very helpful to have the tester insights included in the application and may be useful information for you as well. If you feel that you can provide sufficient supporting documentation to aid the committee�s decision, then you may apply with the report that you have currently."

I don't know what she means by "sufficient supporting documentation". I just have the completed application and the two score sheets, along with the recommendation of course. Should we just go ahead and pay the $200 even though we already got all the info. verbally from our psych? WWYD? Has anyone else only submitted the score sheets instead of full reports?

WannaBeGTEduc #115350 11/02/11 03:50 PM
    L
    L
    I would pay for it. You might need it somewhere down the road with a change in schooling, and psychologists don't keep their paperwork forever.

Last edited by lightdance; 11/02/11 03:51 PM.
    S
    S
    Hi all--

New here, and applied to DYS for my 6-1/2 year old daughter. She made the cut with the WJ cognitive, but just missed it with the WJ achievement, so I also submitted a portfolio.

She's been put into the review process for this month (March) and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to find out anything.

Much thanks,
    Stacey

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Good luck!!! Depending on the month it might take 2-4 weeks. This is probably a big month in terms of applicants since it is a deadline of sorts for siblings of current YS.

S
    S
    Thank you, Mam! (Of course, that just makes me think of the Langston Hughes short story! :D)

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Good Luck Stacey and welcome
    While you wait read through some of the posts here and consider introducing your family (anonymously of course) ...we ve been there and done that!
    Smiles
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 6 of 35 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM