Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    So, our district ONLY uses an IQ test for identifying gifted kids, and it is quite competitive (at least a score of the 99th percentile) to get in, so they want to be quite sure a child will score that high before they will test.

My daughter has just completed kindergarten and we got her MAP scores today. (I actually had no idea they even did this testing in kindergarten!) She scored a 198 in reading (99-99 percentile) and a 186 in Math (98-99 percentile).

Are these scores indicative of a child who is likely gifted? Or probable? Or it could go either way? I guess I am just curious if they might test her next year -- while in 1st grade.

She is also young for her grade -- late July birthday, so she is not yet 6. Maybe that does or does not play into measuring hoe precocious she might be?

Any thoughts? Thanks sooo much!!

I
    I
    The 198 in reading is above the 99% for an end of year 1st grader (see page 133). It's important to triangulate data but the MAP score is high. Good luck with the testing!
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks so much for the info! I will take a peek at the link, but can you tell if that looks like a kiddo who might score as gifted on an IQ test, or can you tell? I don't know if they are even planning to test next year, but I am hoping they will. I know they wanted her to be 6 (birthday in July) so maybe they'll be ready next year? Thanks for your help! : )

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Gotchya -- I guess I have been waiting for YEARS for someone to actually test her....:) that now that I have ANY test result at all I wish it would tell me something. Ha, ha! I will just have to continue to be patient.

Originally Posted by KansasMom
    I know they wanted her to be 6 (birthday in July) so maybe they'll be ready next year? Thanks for your help! : )
    That is actually good news, since waiting for age 6 means that they will probably be using the WISC, which is a good IQ test, given individually - which is important.

If you feel that there is a need, try and put that need into words, and go ahead and ask them if and when they plan to test. It's sort of like the 5 paragraph essay that they teach in school: Topic sentence "Why it's a good idea to IQ test my daughter in September when school starts."

If you want, use us here as editors before you send off the letter (yes, letter, not email!) If you get started, we'll help.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks so much Grinity. Luckily they have been working with her some...the gifted teacher at our school pulled her out for reading twice per week this year -- and while it wasn't always her teaching (sometimes it was the librarian, I was OK with that!)

So they said she is in the midst of the identification process...a 3 step process she has described to me (in the nicest way possible, while sort of putting me off) and said they will test will they feel fairly certain she'll achieve the score she needs (which is at least 140, as our district is very competitive...we have 3% of the student population testing at that level or above, which I guess the national average is more like 1%?) So, maybe since they seem to be working on it I'll give them until Dec. or so of 1st grade and then start pushing again?

It is so much like a PR campaign with the school, isn't it? I want to make friends but I want to get her what she needs. smile

K
    OP Offline
    K
    I will also mention there is another little boy who is likely gifted in her class and together they wrote a series of 3 poetry booklets during their free time/center time. Her teacher was quite interested in these and gave them to the gifted teacher who made copies for their files, so maybe I should give them credit for possibly moving things along as they should be? smile

so maybe I should give them credit for possibly moving things along as they should be? smile
    I think that the December plan is reasonable = as long as = things are going well for your daughter during the school day.

From the sounds of it, you are in a district that has an unusual number of gifted kids, and knows how to make some accommodations for them. The fact that your DD was even allowed to work with the other child on poetry booklets is a very good thing. You may be sitting pretty.

And you did ask, and they did answer....everything in school land goes so slowly!

Yippee!
    Grinity

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Yes, I am hope hope hoping they will be proactive. Because they have a lot of gifted kids they are quite selective but I am sure if she needs the services she'll get them. I think she is mostly happy at school -- she's already gotten a bit lazy with "assignments" and likes to create her own rather than be told what to do -- but otherwise she's learned a ton this year.

Now who knows if we'll be as lucky with her first grade teacher -- I do not know them or who she'll have, but we'll see! smile

Thanks again!!

she's already gotten a bit lazy with "assignments" and likes to create her own rather than be told what to do -- but otherwise she's learned a ton this year.
    I could offer another perspective.
    1) It's normal (although still a problem) to get lazy with assignments that are 'too far' below the readiness to learn level.
    2) One of the nicest solutions is if the child 'self-differentiates,' that is, they take the assignment and 'difficulty it up' so that they can make use of it.

This can go to far and become an inflexible compulsion, so getting the classroom fit 'as best as possible' is important, but a general strategy of self-differentiation can be very useful - if the child is willing!

The idea is getting 'into the ballpark' is what's needed, not having every moment a perfect fit. A fine line to walk, yes?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM