Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Ok, I wanted to make a correction. The neurologist said all of his tests were "good" however, he wanted to look over and study the EEG test results before giving me his opinion. My son's grandmother was with me when I spoke to the neurologist and clarified what he had said. I guess I was a bit distraught over his seizure.

I feel awful for agreeing with the consequence of truancy court. Every time he missed school from oversleeping, I had him visit his psych doc and gen practioner who both thought it was more of a behavioral issue than medical. I understand why the school thought truancy court would encourage him to make better choices and start asking for what he needs in order to be successful. Now, I'm not so sure if he is capable of doing such because it seems as though he is unaware about what to ask or what he doesn't know. After the court ordered improvements asked of him, he did incorporate better study habits and started checking in with each teacher to see if he is doing what is required.

I am a bit afraid that the dx of ADHD was wrong this entire time eventhough his ADHD meds seemed to improve his academic performance while intensifying anger during the afternoon.

We have a seizure center nearby so I am hoping to get an appointment with them soon.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    This sounds fairly complex. Have you considered a second opinion in terms of the psychiatrist? I would definitely look into that as well as pursuing everything else.

Bipolar is many times misdiagnosed as ADHD, and the worsening anger while on a stimulant brings the BP back to the front of my mind. Aggressiveness and anger can increase in BP kids treated with stimulants.

(((HUGS)))

J
    OP Offline
    J
    I have some progress. I re-contacted a neuro-psychologist who was interested in accepting my son as a patient a few months ago. I think his expertise seems to be assisting ADHD professional adults/college students. He helped me understand why most neurologist and psychiatrist may not be able to diagnos and gave me a few recomendations to neurologists who specialize in adolescent onset seizures.

Can I say the insurance referal process is more than a pain? Why does it seem like their CSR's goal is to tell you "we can't help you because our policy for X, Y, Z, 1, 5, 2..... says you have to wait for a doctor to admit he doesn't know what he's doing? However, if you want a flu shot, they are free" They want me to start with a brand new in-network PCP and exhaust all regular neurologists and psychiatrists before he can see an epitologist. That sounds like 2-3 months later... he might be able to see an epitologist who may be familiar with what's going on if he/she takes this terrible insurance plan.

I was able to find a researching eptiologist for a September appointment but he's willing to look at doctor's and test results now if I have them sent to him.

I was very sad when I heard him say, "My whole class (AP/IB) is in the top 10-25%." He didn't realize it before graduation rehersals. I just told him when we get this figured out, perhaps we will know why his teachers had told him "This is so easy for you, Why can't you just do it?" He started hearing this as early as 6th grade.

Last edited by JustAMom; 05/30/11 07:37 AM. Reason: correct terminology
    M
    M
    If you are comfortable what med was he taking for ADD? If not would you be willing to PM me?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm okay with discussing meds. It has been a journey to figure out what would help him become successful in his academics as well as to learn how to advocate for what he needs.

He was/is diagnosed with ADHD-combo type w/anger and Asperger like behavior. He was taking Vyvance 60 mg most of last year. He insisted on taking med 'holidays' on weekends and summer. When his senior year started, he was able to tell his doc he would like to take 35 or 30 mg in the morning and another 30 mg around 11:30 because he seemed to notice that it wore off by 3 pm if he just took it in the morning. He also too Intuniv which he says helps him relax and go to sleep. sonata was prescribed as needed but he rarely took it but once or twice. He still had some irritability in the afternoon. If our dogs would play or if someone talked in his presence, he would complain and get angry. His doc suggested NAC... n-acytal-cystine, a supplement which can be found in specialty vitamin stores. I've read somewhere some autistic children has tried NAC in the past as an agent to de-toxify. He thought it worked in calming him but he didn't really care to take it anymore after a month. The first 6-months of school were overall pretty good.... consistent passing grades and perhaps one or two tardies here or there.

By January this year, he stopped taking everything. He didn't think he had any issues or needed medication to help him. That is where most of his more serious issues started to pop up.... the irregular sleeping, grades dropping, and truancy. Five out of the 16 recorded absenses was in accout of him arriving at school after 1st period and the school's policy is to count it as a full day. He didn't really complain about doing the court appointed counciling or community service. Everything improved after he went back on vyvance 30 mg in the morning and he recieved daily academic monitoring where he is forced to start the assignments in school. He had no problem completing them at home.

Last edited by JustAMom; 05/30/11 04:13 PM.
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by JustAMom
    Everything improved after he went back on vyvance 30 mg in the morning and he recieved daily academic monitoring where he is forced to start the assignments in school. He had no problem completing them at home.

Interesting, my DD17 has a lot in common with your son: ADD, borderline ASD, serious irregular sleep issues, oversleeping and missing class or being late, etc. Anyway, one thing that the diagnostician told me was that she had "trouble with her ignition switch" and that I may want to try "starting her homework with her" or "writing the first sentence" for her. I thought this seemed really odd, but my DD said she thought that might have been really been helpful. Of course we didn't get our dx till she was through with school so I didnt get to try it out.

E
    E
    Im new here, I have no advice. But I feel for you. I hope you are having a better day today but really feel for you, it's so hard.

Originally Posted by JustAMom
    "This is so easy for you, Why can't you just do it?" He started hearing this as early as 6th grade.
    I heard this at his age, too. This is a little personal about me, but I have been through some of what your son went through. It would take a long time to write it all out here. But I eventually was dx'd with a sleep disorder & bipolar disorder. And it took a very long time to get my diagnoses correct. (like, dozens of years) I am not saying that your son has the same issues. But you may both have to keep working to find the right dx.
    I can share more if you wish, but it's a rather painful part of my life.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Ginger, if you don't mind sharing, how did you finally get the sleep disorder dx and what helped? I am really starting to wonder if many of my DD's ADD symptoms might actually be the result of, or at least exacerbated by, lack of quality restorative sleep.

I think poor sleep can be caused by ADHD, and can cause children without ADHD to exibit the behaviors common to ADHD.

Here's a link to an article by Peg Dawson, author of 'Smart but Scattered' a very helpful book about helping kids develop their executive function.

http://www.nasponline.org/resources/health_wellness/sleepdisorders_ho.aspx

((hugs and prayers)) through this difficult transition,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM