Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #103645 05/27/11 04:59 PM
    OP Offline
    Seriously...I feel like I'm going bonkers.

I've dealt with a child that I believe is gifted for a bit over four years now. I'm a stay-at-home mom who is with him alone in a very rural setting. (He's starting preschool in August!)

He knew his letters at 18mo. and could read level one books (like Hop on Pop) at three. His abiding interest is in numbers, gauges and compasses. I think he may be a meteorologist incarnate.

I'm counting the days until I can get him out of the house! I've reached the end of my imagination to keep him challenged.

I've seen most posts on here that seem so CALM and in control of their lives with their gifted child. I want to SCREAM some days!!! cry

Won't anyone send me a lifeline?

Calm?? That is me these days with an 8.5 yr old who has learned to entertain herself for 30 minutes here and there.

I was YOU 5-7 years ago. What I would give to know then what I know now. She was almost the undoing of me. I could feel all the pieces unravelling one by one.

Hugs to you! Don't ever compare how you feel to how others appear in their posts. We can go back and edit what we write!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    OP Offline
    Oh! Thank you so much for that! *sob*

Today is an especially bad day and between the meltdowns and my own issues, I just couldn't stand anymore.

Thankfully, my son "crashed" in his room (nap) for a bit. It's very late for a nap, but I'm desperate for a break!

Who knew having a gifted child would make a parent feel inadequate? How ironic.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Well, that was me 15 years ago...my doctor actually suggested that I might be "depressed" because I was so exhausted all the time(!)

Actually, I am right there with you now, except I am counting down the days till mine goes off to college! Hey....do ya need a gifted but intense babysitter/nanny for the summer? ;-)

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    Who knew having a gifted child would make a parent feel inadequate? How ironic.
    Hugs to you--I totally get it. (and am now in the middle of it with my 4 yr. old as well!)

OP Offline
    smile

Oh, no!...You don't mean to say it never changes???

I
    I
    Those of us with older kids should make "it gets better" videos laugh It really does get better -- school, higher level reading skills (with LOTS of trips to the library), and Internet connectivity all helped us.

Last edited by intparent; 05/27/11 05:58 PM.
    Or "it gets different" videos, at the very least!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    I've reached the end of my imagination to keep him challenged.

All I can say is that I can't imagine how stressful it would be to have the job of challenging a kid like mine. I have enough to deal with without trying to figure out what she's interested in at any given moment. So I've made that her job instead of mine. smile Otherwise I'm sure I'd feel just like you do.

M
    M
    Oh my, I have spent all of the last 9 years wondering why I seem so mch more tired and less able to cope with parenting than everyone else. Understanding that none of my 3 kids are "normal", that I really was dealing with unusual challenges was such a relief, at least in terms of not feeling like a whimsy failure. Still have to get through each day though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM