Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    www.starfall.com ... even if she doesn't learn how to read, it will keep her busy.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Oh no! I didn't mean it doesn't get easier, it absolutely does (for a while - lol). Reading was, and still is, a godsend and gifted friends who can keep up with them too! We are just in limbo right now and back in a rural area with no friends and now we have delightful hormones in the mix too. I am counting down the days, not to have her gone, but to see her in an environment where she is happy and engaged and it isn't at the expense of my sanity.

G
    G
    I completely understand! DS 5 sometimes drives me up the wall because all he wants to do is work on his projects. I feel like I am always rushing him to do his "chores" and his school work. Last week he spent all his time making an incubator for his friend's birthday and I was so glad when he finished it but now this week he has decided to write a book about electricity. It is all he talks about and wants to read about. He's in a fantastic school where they are really challenging and his teacher understands him but he still needs to do the homework (she says he doesn't but I think he should). It is like pulling teeth once he has an idea in his mind he just doesn't want to do anything else. His teacher did help him find electricity books at school today and had his friends watch a video on it so they would have a better understanding of what he was working on. He then got to write some his book during writing time. I think having this type of teacher has made things better for us here at home but weekend still drive me crazy especially when we have other things to do!

B
    B
    On certain days, when I am feeling a wee bit exhausted from trying to keep up with DS8 - I log onto this board and a smile spreads across my face because I get to read posts from other moms/parents who understand exactly the kind of
    day(s)/months/years we have been having. Thank you ladies for helping me keep my sanity and for letting me see that I am not alone! :-)

I totally agree. There are days when my goal in life is simply to stay sane until they leave home. And that was before the new baby. Seriously, sometimes its just about hanging in there. I don't have it all figured out, and if I've learned one thing, its that when you think you do have it figured out, they'll go and change on you!

You are not alone! smile

M
    M
    I don't have it all figured out, and if I've learned one thing, its that when you think you do have it figured out, they'll go and change on you!
    I remind myself often that everything is a stage. Even the good stuff...

OP Offline
    I'm bumping my first post because I'm having a panic "moment".

Our DS is out of school tomorrow and the only things I have planned are a college- sponsored speed reading course and some private swimming lessons. The total time doing these activities: maybe ten days.

So, I was searching around for something to do this summer and our local humane society has a cat training camp. Great! DS has a new kitten and he's a fireball (not furball). I figured I can keep both busy with learning new tricks.

But when I pointed out the last training class landed on the day he's to go to a rocket launch (hobby rocketry), he said he'd rather not. He would only be missing one day of a four day launch!

So much for kitten training.

As a stay-at-home mom, I was hoping to find a bit of "me" time, too. The camp would be for four hours a day, for one week.

Sorry I'm a sour apple. DS just doesn't seem to be interested in any camp that will take his age group. All the science-based camps he would like are exclusionary of kids his age. frown

Last edited by Ametrine; 06/14/17 05:56 PM. Reason: detail
    I
    I
    What if he foregoes the final day of kitten camp to attend the rocket launch?

For last-minute summer activities, have you considered science kits? While they may vary greatly in quality, the Davidson Database lists several which have been recommended by parents. For example, look for 'kit' in this list of Chemistry resources.

The general List of Resources by Subject Area may also be of interest.

To carve out some daily mom-time, you might try implementing a regularly scheduled "quiet time" as described in this recent post by Portia. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM