Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #103245 05/24/11 05:56 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    so today is the day .. not sure what to expect. I am hoping (best case) they will accept IQ and/or achievement testing to skip kinder since he just barely missed on MAP scores. Worst case , they say enrichment....

Thanks for all your help in guiding me. If they wont take outside, we will wait ntil after ds bday when he turns 6 in November for any outside testing to assist in possible private schooling for him.

F
    F
    Good Luck!

Good luck!!

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I'm back from the meeting. I would say it went great! We discussed ds5's scores on the spring MAP (he isn't in kinder yet but was compared to current kinder kids). He score well above the district average in reading just not quite (missed by 4 points and 10 percentile points) the grade skip. That being said... they will subject accelerate for math! He isn't sure the logistics just yet.. and it may not start until after the school year but EJ will receive first grade math in the fall. They need to see if any other kids can be clustered with him. If so, it will be in class with a teacher coming to them. If there aren't, he will go to the first grade class for math. This may mean he switches from morning to afternoon kindy.... thats OK!

I am thrilled.. no additional testing needed. He suggested we wait until he is 6 and can take the WISC. I think we may do achievement testing through Northwestern CTY before so we can enroll him in classes.

THANK YOU everyone for your help. I am sure I will need more as we get closer to school starting and as we go further in our testing

Sheila

Congrats!!! it is so nice to read a good success story!

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I'm back from the meeting. I would say it went great! We discussed ds5's scores on the spring MAP (he isn't in kinder yet but was compared to current kinder kids). He score well above the district average in reading just not quite (missed by 4 points and 10 percentile points) the grade skip. That being said... they will subject accelerate for math! Sheila
    Yippee!
    That is a wonderful commitment!
    Be sure to send an email to everyone involved restating what you heard for the purpose of having a paper trail. It's really important. I sent one once and got a quick respose: "Oh, those were just ideas, we don't actually plan to do any of that!"

I was floored. Were we even at the same meeting? But that is the nature of humans, and so we must, must document.

Here's how I might do it in you situation:

Dear Mr. X,
    Thanks so much for our meeting today. It was really clear to me how caring and profession you and your staff are - what a pleasure to be working with you.

I wanted to double check the current plan, because sometimes I misunderstand things.

I heard you say that in September, the incoming Kindergardeners will be MAP tested to look for a cluster group for my son in Math. (BTW, what are you planning to use for the cut off? 90%? 95%? 97%)

If there are kids 'near enough' then they will be taught 1st grade Math in a Kindergarten room by the 1st grade teacher.

If there are no kids 'near enough' then my son will go to the first grade room during Math time.

I think this a good plan, and will really help EJ succede at school.
    Vry Sincerely Yours,

I think achievement testing to do the local programing sounds great, and a WISC at age 6 is a very good way to go. Did the school hint that they might do this? I sure hope so.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Sweet! Nice work!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Today I went on a field trip with dd7. I was talking to the teacher about ds5 and next year (she has been helping us in advocating for him). and she said... she recommended dd7 to skip 2nd grade math. I didn't ask for it (yet).. I wasn't expecting it. They did move her to second grade math after spring break.

Wow, very unusual and GOOD.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM