Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #103418 05/26/11 04:23 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Reaching out to Canadians again. Looking into the Bowmore school in Toronto. It doesn't start its Gifted program until 4th grade.

I am planning on staying in NYC 2 more years, working with an accelerated curriculum, then DD will finish grade 3 (though accelerated into 4) and having her evaluated to skip grade 4 and go into 5. Then I am thinking of taking the SSAT test for admission into the U of T school for grade 7. Looking at her math abilities, I think it will be feasible path for DD.

Just wanted to hear feedback on what you have done in Toronto, if I am reaching anyone.

Ren

Wren #103483 05/26/11 10:20 AM
    It's not in Toronto, but you may want to look into PACE - The Acadamy for Gifted Children - in Thornhill, Ontario.

http://www.pace.on.ca/

Wren #103514 05/26/11 11:13 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I looked into it and it sounds nice, great campus, and the price is only 11K per year or something. But....my favorite part of Toronto to live is in the Beach and Thornhill is an hour commute at least. So it was one thing.

Do you have children there?

Ren

Wren #103524 05/26/11 12:12 PM
    D
    DMA Offline
    D
    I don't have personal experience with Bowmore Road school, but the co-workers who have kids there in the gifted program like the school. The gifted program has been there for a long time, and the school is just north and west of the Beach area. You can join the Association for Bright Children message board and ask someone there about Bowmore Road.

The TDSB gifted programs do not provide acceleration, but do provide greater depth and breadth and alternative projects. My son likes the pace much better than in the regular classroom. I know some parents who are disappointed with the pace of the math, but most seem to be happy with the other subjects.

Wren #103534 05/26/11 02:26 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for the input. I thought it was basically like a district G&T in NYC. Hence, why we do the CTY math. But I am building a case for any spot in the citywide program (it is lottery based) but this year I can push for a spot into Sept.

If I can get a year acceleration plus the additional math in her CTY, then I think I can push for the grade skip. I have 2 years to work it out.

We will lose her science program, they don't have anything similar for this age and I can find Chinese and Spanish language programs. But we gain the Beach. I love the village within the city.

Ren

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM