Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #10278 03/04/08 08:20 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    DD6 was given the RIAS at school yesterday, and she tested high enough for the gifted program. I don't know what the scores were yet. Interestingly, DD6 scored in the average range on the NNAT, but had enough other data (along with an assertive teacher) to warrant further testing.

DD9 also scored in the average range on the NNAT but was not given an opportunity for further testing. I have written my letter to the school, and I'm still waiting for a response. The gifted ed teacher actually asked me about DD9 yesterday when she emailed me to tell me about DD6's GATE qualification. I think she realizes that they messed up with DD9.

E
    E
    Good for you and DD6's teacher for continuing to fight smile I hope they get DD9's placement adjusted quickly!

K
    K
    That's great, Pink! I hope they can do something for your older daughter soon too. It's promising that the GT teacher knows something is amiss.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, Dottie!

I didn't even know DD6 was being tested yesterday. DD didn't mention it at all when I picked her up from school. We just happened to see her teacher at the ball park, and she told me about it. She said that DD was gone for a while and that it was a good sign. She was right. Funny how DD didn't even mention it, though.

Yes, I think the school will realize it. It might mean more agony, but I am optimistic.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Pink, our school district uses the RIAS too. If you get the results back and they're high scores, consider paying the diagnostician to do the DYS-approved tests (WISC or WJIII) without a lot of time lag. I wish I had done that at the time for my oldest two, because it cost less than full testing from scratch later on (might not be the same for you, but might be worth a try).

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. So, did you have the WISC done later? How did the scores compare?

Great news. DD6 results could make it work for DD9 as well. It will make for a nice precedent.

LMom
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I had WJIII done for DS6 (then age 4) a few months after RIAS and WJIII was about the same (couple pts lower). We did Slosson, RIAS, and portfolio for DS 9 for DYS. Never did DYS for the older 2, partly because their IQ tests were old by the time I was considering it, partly because they're easier kids and I was looking for HELP for DS 9 (then 6)

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM