Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
    Wren #103090 05/23/11 02:46 AM
    C
    C
    Sorry, Ren, I read that post three times and I still don't see what you're saying. It seems as though you're still asserting that there are children so PG that, regardless of whether their parents take a role in it, the system will ensure that they get an appropriate education - is that so? But I don't think we've yet been pointed at even one child whose parents did not take an active role in the arranging the child's education, so we don't know what would have happened if they hadn't. Even if we had such a case it wouldn't prove that every child with that capability would be well served by the system if the parents didn't act, because any negative cases, where the parents did not act and the child was not well served, are invisible.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Wren #103091 05/23/11 02:57 AM
    C
    C
    PS You do realise that the Giga Society is a spoof, right?

I can't make up my mind whether they're a spoof or just verrrry selective.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    C
    If in doubt, read the first piece of work by Giga Society members - someone who can't should give it to someone who can, and see how many lines in they get before they start laughing. Alternatively, or as well, read this. Quite good though.

(If everyone else is having a laugh [too] feel free - I've never been good at counting levels of bluff!)

Last edited by ColinsMum; 05/23/11 05:03 AM.

Wren #103128 05/23/11 07:32 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I have to admit that their website has declined seriously, though they were on the list of actual high IQ societies and were not on the defunct list -- of which there were many. And their members are in other IQ societies, like Dany Provost is in the Omega, which is only 1 in a million level.

When I first saw the Giga a couple of years ago, they listed the 7 members and you could look them up and they were all googleable and known to have IQs in the 200+ range. I checked and someone commented about Andreas Gunnarsson, his comment on his website was "best viewed with a browser" -which I think is hilarious. Scott Durgin is a high tech guy.

Ren

Wren #103130 05/23/11 07:36 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    In looking some of this stuff up, has anyone read "The Outsiders"?

A book about the personalities of really high IQ people. It came out from the Promethius society 15 years ago or something. Just curious.

Also read about William Sidis. Which is really sad. But goes with the story that some psychiatrists are not crazy, but the children of psychiatrists always are. Was told that by the child of a pyschiatrist.

Ren

Wren #103134 05/23/11 07:39 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Since they seem to hit the news, whether it is Kit Armstrong, or this girl who graduated from Stoneybrook at 14, about ten years ago, or the posting about the MD/PhD student at U of Chicago, who is all of 12 years old. The parents didn't push for this. No MD program is going to let you in because the parents push.

Ren

I think your flawed assumption here is that if a kid is "super PG" they'd be in the news and you'd know them. I'd say that you are wrong that all kids end up in the media some individuals and families prefer to be out of the spotlight. I would also say you may be overestimating your ability to monitor every article that appears.

As far as the student who entered the MD PHD program at Chicago I believe this is the person you are referring to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sho_Yano I don't think it is at all accurate to say the plan for college entrance came from his school as he was homeschooled by his mother.

From that Wikipedia article: "According to him, he owes much of his success to his mother, who noticed his superior intellectual capabilities at an early age and helped encourage and motivate him through rigorous academic enrichment. His mother also homeschooled him through the 12th grade, saying she felt other students his age wouldn't be as interested in their studies."

It sounds Wren like there is a theme in your posts that real PG kids are recognized and accommodated by their schools. If they aren't well then the parents must have been pushy?

Here's a video about the Chicago family (both children are prodigies) http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/genius-siblings-92735089.html

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 05/23/11 07:45 AM.
    Wren #103139 05/23/11 07:55 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Also read about William Sidis. Which is really sad. But goes with the story that some psychiatrists are not crazy, but the children of psychiatrists always are. Was told that by the child of a pyschiatrist.

You have a habit of making generalizations such as the one above (which taken literally, is certainly false) without any supporting evidence.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Wren #103148 05/23/11 09:43 AM
    P
    P
    Wren,
    If you really want to understand this topic, I'd suggest rather than trolling obscure (and sometimes parody) websites, that you'd be better off looking to more current and substantive sources of information. The Nation Deceived report would be one place to start.

As a parent of a PG kid who has been radically accelerated I personally don't find it at all helpful to have examples of people from seventy five years ago cited as proof of any child's doomed future. When people say stuff like this I wonder what they are trying to say to the parents of super PG kids - you are screwed? too bad your kid was born? no matter what you are going to screw it up? your kid might seem okay to you now but later you'll see they will end up crazy? In addition to this being totally inaccurate it is not at all helpful.

Wren #103151 05/23/11 09:49 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    OK, I am so wrong. My opinions are bogus.

Done.

Ren

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM