Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    #10286 03/04/08 09:36 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Finally emailed the teachers yesterday asking that DS place out of second grade math and asking that something be done about his discomfort in the classroom (both in terms of the noise and distractions of the other kids and the level of instruction). We'll see what if anything they can do. We've asked for access to his distance learning courses during the day to give him some respite from the frustrations of the classroom. Meanwhile, his tutor and OT recommend homeschooling immediately. DS would like nothing better, but we're not quite there.

Any sense about the reception of your request? Do you think you're likely to get a favorable response or resistance?

Kriston
    Questions-

Have you connected with any local homeschoolers yet? If not, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get to know a few families in the area who are homeschooling, so that you won't have the social aspect as a big question mark.

We often have a family drop in on a support group meeting to check us out before they pull their kids from school. I think it can be very reassuring and help people to decide.

Good luck with the advocacy efforts!

You know questions, I am on the verge at least once a week. I was on the verge yesterday when I have asked Ghost what he did that day in his LA class. You would not believe the response. Thankfully, apparently the teacher will be gone next year but will they find a better one. I am on the verge of going in and fighting again, but we are in March already, by mid May I am taking my kids to Europe and at this point I am trying to find accomodations for both of my kids for next year. I am trying not to stirr the water so much so the school will be accomodating, if you know what I mean.
    I was on the verge of starting HS three years ago, but I thought I can't each my kids English :-) Stupid me!
    Go with your gut feeling. If it does not work, you can always go back. Start Hs part time - public schools will allow for partial enrollment.

Not all public schools. It depends on local policy.

Our local schools don't allow it. Ah, would that they did! That would solve so many problems!

Kriston
    Oh, I did not know. In Utah by law they have to.

I think they all should. After all, I pay my taxes for the schools just like anyone else, so if I want my kids to go to art class and P.E. and play at recess, I don't know why I shouldn't be allowed to have them do that. But it's all or nothing here.

It stinks! frown Partial enrollment is a lot nicer policy.

Kriston
    K
    K
    They have to here also (MN) by law, but I've heard schools can make it very difficult to do so.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I am SO nervous...

Yes, Lorel, I did meet a local homeschooler at the conference this weekend, and I've been following two local homeschooling Yahoo groups. I know there is skating once a week at a local ice rink, so that's something. And the local library (which is a great library) runs homeschooling book groups for age 7-9.

Ania, did you ever look into Exeter? That was you who posted that long ago, wasn't it? Now that I "know" you better, and know more about your DS, it might be worth a serious look. And there is generous financial aid available. And always a handful of kids who score perfect SAT's (at least in the old days...) Of course, your son still has a few years to go, right?

Finally, if we could do partial homeschooling, it would be perfect. I'd send him to recess, health, PE, art and music. I'd do the rest.

Of course, I haven't gotten into the nitty-gritty details yet - like the fact that I am working ...

Originally Posted by kimck
    They have to here also (MN) by law, but I've heard schools can make it very difficult to do so.

I truly don't understand why. I mean, do they think HSing families will quit HSing and send their kids to school if the school makes life difficult enough for them? Get real!

It's just mean-spirited nastiness, I think, and it's a shame.

Kriston
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM