Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    So, I picked up an angry child today from school. Apparently, he is now getting the challenge work twice a week, instead of once, but it's during his former free time. Apparently, 5/20 kids do the extra work, but DS objects to it big time. He said he wouldn't mind during work time, but NOT DURING PLAYTIME! The other kids get to play checkers and clue and whatever while he and the others work on challenge math and writing assignments. So, they gave me what I asked for, but not in a way that will work. He still has to sit there through stuff he knows and gets to miss fun time as a bonus. I tried to tell him he still has 3 days to play, but if he doesn't finish his work, he has to continue it the next day, and he's not fast.

Ugh. Yeah, that's not a solution. Punish him for being ahead? Yeah, great thinking.

You know, when I read stuff like this and delbows's DS's experience with the group project, I get bummed out all over again about how little has changed in GT ed.

Sorry. I don't mean to be negative. It just gets to me!

I'm sorry, questions. So what's your next step?

Kriston
    I am sorry, questions. I hate it when teachers make learning a punishment!!

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I have to go out of town tomorrow to a beautiful resort for a conference. I am so sorely tempted to take him with me - even though he'll have to be in childcare for the entire day and even though he has already missed the maximum number of days... So tempted...

#10357 03/04/08 02:15 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    And my babysitter just saw a mangy fox in our garage...

Usually, it's just deer and geese.

#10358 03/04/08 02:16 PM
    I've been trying to talk Questions in to moving in down the street from me. There's a lovely house available...

Playdates galore! smile

Kriston
    I'm sorry Questions! frown Are they really trying to help your son with what you requested or are they trying to stick it to you a little bit by "giving you what you wanted"? Or is that just me being cynical??

At any rate, I'm very sorry that he is having to lose his play time. I know one reason I hated my GT pull out in school was because it was during times when other kids were doing fun things and it was NO fun in and of itself.

Loved your quote Dottie "And they claim to worry about his "emotional" development and being a child,". Seems to be a bit contradictory doesn't it?

What happens if he does go with you??? Does something bad happen if you miss too many days? (I guess I should know these things but I don't)

That is total crap, questions. The challenge work should take the place of the work he has mastered, not in addition to.
    Don't automatically assume they are just being jerks, they may honestly just not get it.
    Don't take this sitting down.
    Ask for a meeting with the teacher, and explain the situation.
    I gave DD's teacher her WIAT achivement test results with GE. I had previously asked her, what is DD supposed to learn to get to the next grade and does she already know it?
    I honestly don't think they had thought about it like that. And I would go so far as to tell them it isn't fair to make a child keep doing work THEY HAVE ALREADY MASTERED. My goodness. They give all the kids "tests" at the end of the year to see if they know the material. Ask for your son to be tested out of the material now. I really think they think that they get the whole GT thing, but they don't understand a GT kid that is 2 years or more ahead, it just doesn't seem to compute.
    Right now, DD8 has extra work in lieu of what she has already mastered and if she had to deal with your son's situation, it wouldn't be pretty.
    I don't think there is any quicker way to extinguish a child's love of learning than the scenario you just menioned. Get in there, girl and talk to teacher, principal, district person, whatever you have to do.

Good luck,

Incog

Amen and Hallelujah, 'Neato! You speak truth, loud and clear!

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Incog,

I asked for that exactly that. I think in my email I said something like is there a test he can take so that he can place out of the regular math and access his CTY during the day? I also said he needed a challenge and what do you suggest. I thought I'd get at least an email, if not a meeting. (And of course, it doesn't help that none of the other kids complain about the extra stuff - they like it and are proud of it.) They're right, he doesn't need the pressure, but he does need the challenge. He didn't seem to object to the extra writing work, but he did not like the math. (an addition problem like if you ride your bike 15 miles in a week, how many miles do you ride in a year?)

If the school doesn't have a GT program in second grade, it's hard to imagine the teachers are going to know what to do and if they'll even be willing to vary standard procedures. Time to write some more emails. Helicoptering, here I come...

Kriston, I'll take a look at that house, but you have to do something about the weather.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM