Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    This is a very interesting thread for me. DS 'got' all that sort of stuff around age 3 and was delighted with it. He would get all self-righous and angry about 'parents lying to their kids' when it came to certain pretend characters who brought presents. Now that I'm reading this thread, I'm quite sure that this is where DS's PGness lies.,
    Grinity

The first time we went to Disney, DS 3 got a present left in the hotel and we just shrugged and said we don't know who put it there. Fast forward 2 years, DS barely remembers the place but did remember the surprise present - so he told me what he hopes get left in his room this time, which is unusual he doesn't really ask for stuff, but he very deliberately did not say who was leaving it!! So not sure what he believes at this point or perhaps he just thinks we can get a message to whomever does this sort of thing!!!

I think in retrospect of why we stepped in it is that he revels in his imaginary worlds but comfortably asserts that it's his imagination at work, he is super proud of his elaborate imagination - and he knows books are not real characters. It's something about the tv, now I am wondering what he thinks about his favorite game on the iPad, world of goo!!!

DeHe

F
    F
    When we went to Disney World when DD (6) was 4 she told us that the characters weren't real because there's no way they could be, didn't stop her from hugging them and getting pictures with them though. She still believes in the Tooth Fairy, Santa, and the Easter Bunny, we think. There are certain things she'll say that makes you go "She doesn't believe" but I don't want to ask or anything in case she really does believe. She knows that the Santas at the mall and riding in parades are Santa's helpers (She told us this around 2 or 3) because he's so busy.

I always wonder how long until she doesn't believe in any of it if she even does anymore.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by mom22boys
    I think it's easier to believe in Santa b/c he appears as a real person. The easter bunny is in a crappy costume. My younger ds saw this immediatly and declared him "not the real Easter Bunny."...but for him the real one is out there.

It's not uncommon for GT kids to believe in Santa so much, even at an "older" age, that they try to convince the non-believers (almost successfully). DS7 told me this year there were lots of kids that did not believe in him, but he did. And I truly believe that he will be 8 or 9, still trying to convince the non-believers.

Well, that is until his space/time logic kicks in, which is how I determined Santa, the person, was not real.

M
    M
    JJ'sMom, My dd, 19 tomorrow, was 11.5 and still believed. I finally told her b/c it was getting a bit crazy. She thought the amount of presents and quality were too much for parents to afford,so Santa must have been real...yep that couldn't possibly have been me driving 50 miles and spending my last $100 on the coolest ever karaoke machine, when she casually mentioned wanting one, the day before Christmas eve. It's amazing what we'll do for love.

U
    U
    DD has been questioning the reality of Santa et al. since 3, but when she finally wore me down to the point where I said, "OKAY, if you really want to know, I'll tell you..." she suddenly backpedaled and said "No! No! Don't tell me!"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM