Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    K
    K
    Sorry questions - I was also going to say that I can totally relate. We've had a few weeks this year when I was going to just pull DS out immediately. Right now we're just biding our time until the end of the year. DS loves school socially. I have the feeling he is getting more disruptive and not participating willingly any more. I'm slowly networking and researching and am quite satisfied with the local resources and social opportunities I've found for homeschooling. So it wouldn't hurt to do a little digging in this area. That sounds very stressful. I hope the school can help you, at least for the short term!

It's so hard to watch that happen, kimck and questions. I'm sorry.

Have you officially decided to HS, kimck, or not? It seems like you're kind of on the fence still, but maybe that's just my perception because you decided not to pull your DS out in an emergency HSing situation after all.

Kriston
    K
    K
    Well, I'm not on the fence! I think it's a done deal for next year. I've got a pile of homeschooling stuff on my kitchen table! DH is still on the fence a bit though. eek

We also need to decide in the next week and 1/2 if we are going to try and reapply for the local GT magnet for next year. I think we're both leaning no on that one. Odds of getting in are very small, and it really is no magic bullet for DS at this point.

D
    D
    I am on the verge also.

My mother-in-law is visiting for a week and she can�t believe the **** we encounter in a typical week due to the fact that DS is advanced for grade. She has seen the gamut from DS doing practically all the work for a group project from writing the script (not as the scribe), typing the script at a group member�s house while the rest of the kids played guitar hero, being cornered by the host�s mother with a �So you are Mr. Smarty-Pants/I bet I was as smart as you at your age� sort of exchange. Then taking everyone�s costumes and costume props home and organizing them in individual bags with each person�s name on it, making the prop tree and transporting it to school.

To be fair, the other group members did decorate the prop pot that DS made and emailed the script that he typed up at the other student�s house-sarcasm intended.

My husband was ready to contact the teacher to discuss all this when DS came home from school to report that one student had memorized the lines (that DS wrote) despite the team agreeing last week that they would all use the scripts. The teacher was impressed by this and stated that she would give extra credit to anyone who went "above and beyond" the group effort and specifically said, �That doesn�t mean you, DS�.

Serenity Now!

I also emailed the teacher, but I doubt that will change anything.

I was advised a long time ago to homeschool! I should have done it.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    ...but you'd have to have your child at school a different time each day, and for several different slots even within a day, depending on what you were looking for, kwim?

I live literally a 2-minute *walk* away from school. I can stand in my yard and see the building. So being there several times a day--if it meant my DS got what he needed--would be FINE with me!

Kriston
    OMG, delbows! It sounds like it's time for a talk with the principal re: that little project. Egad! That's unbelievable!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by kimck
    Well, I'm not on the fence! I think it's a done deal for next year. I've got a pile of homeschooling stuff on my kitchen table! DH is still on the fence a bit though. eek

We also need to decide in the next week and 1/2 if we are going to try and reapply for the local GT magnet for next year. I think we're both leaning no on that one. Odds of getting in are very small, and it really is no magic bullet for DS at this point.

This is a busy thread! I didn't even see that you had responded, kimck! Sorry!

What's DH's worry/worries? Why isn't he fully on board? Is it anything we can help with?

K-

Kriston
    D
    D
    We've had a few weeks this year when I was going to just pull DS out immediately. Right now we're just biding our time until the end of the year. Kimck

Best luck to all the future home-school moms on the board!

E
    E
    Hmmm, I'm on the fence also about home schooling. DH is also on the fence but worried about the financial aspect of going down to a single income with some sort of part time work from me on evenings and weekends. It would probably have to be fast food in this area. I've been looking into work from home options.

I used to be worried about my ability to teach DS. Now I have a lot more confidence on that front. it is the financial aspect holding us back.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I'd say for us the biggest concerns are the social ones. We don't have a neighborhood of kids, and left to his own devices, DS would stay indoors all day. He does like to play with other kids, but doesn't have that much opportunity to do so. That said, he does have a small group of boys he likes in his class, but all year has only had two playdates, due to the other moms' schedules, the kids schedules, and whatever other reason. I think most of the other kids live in neighborhoods where there are lots of kids so their parents don't really bother with playdates that require scheduling. To DH's credit, he has asked if maybe we should move, as DS is missing out on his childhood. And it was DH who suggested homeschooling so that at least DS would be happy. I can't tell you how huge a turnaround this is in DH's thinking...

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM