Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi,
    I posted about this in the "Regions" section and am worried maybe treating it as a region specific problem may not attract the help I need!

I just tried to quote that post below. But to summarize, we are probably moving to Boston area. We have a bright DS5 who will be in K next year, or maybe could be in 1st.
    How to strategize finding a good (hopefully public) classroom and school for him in a town we don't know? Aim for living in the town/school district with the apparently best schools in the area (by reputation, test scores), and hope to get into an appropriate school? Hopefully be able to afford to live in said town?

And from the little reading I can find on the web so far, several Boston area school systems use a lottery system to assign kids to schools? I'm not thrilled with the powerless feeling that gives me!

Thanks for reading, and for any thoughts,
    Beak

Hi,

We may be moving to the Boston area just in time for DS5 to start K. Probably not Boston precisely, but Cambridge, Newton, Quincey, Lexington? Three major concerns in choosing where to live are: schools, minimizing commute to Cambridge area since that's where major job opportunities are focused for us, and cost of house/rent.

Can anyone help with how to think about schools and schools for a gifted kid in schools in this general area? I see MA is not "gifted-friendly" via info at the Davidson link on the left of this page... I understand that some of the area schools deal with enrollment on a lottery basis, which sounds alarming. I'd like to stay in the public system for financial reasons.

Not sure what DS may need, and I know that's a big factor. He may be fine in a regular public school classroom, although he'd be the quiet, wallflower type probably, no matter how unengaged he was. he is very happy in his 24 kid+2 teacher preK/K mixed class currently. I'm now wishing we had some testing as guidance for whether he may need something beyond a regular classroom with his age peers.

Do we go for the best overall school district we can afford, hope for the best with the lottery system (if that's how it works) and see how things go? In the vein of, do the best you can for schooling now, and adjust as necessary?

Thanks for reading the ramble, appreciate any thoughts or direction towards reading material!

Beak

B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    ah, shoot. this should have gone in learning environments...

Do you have an idea on his LOG? I think figuring out what he needs would be the first step. I know IQ tests arent the magic answer, but if I were in your position, I'd get some testing and see if that gives a ballpark idea of what he needs. Do his current teachers offer any insight?

We are moving out of state next year, so I know how daunting this task is!

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Amber,
    Thanks for replying. I don't have much of an idea of LOG. By Ruf's suggestions in her book, I'd say level 3-4. Teachers say he'd probably be happy and fine with a skip over K into 1st. Based on some suggestions from the regions thread I also started, I think we may choose housing based on the school systems and then see how the school year goes.
    It is very daunting!

Last edited by beak; 05/19/11 09:12 PM. Reason: fix

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM