Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The authors recommend that the mentor not be a parent, even if the parent is qualified. For reasons of cost and convenience I am mentoring my kids.

Do they explain why they see it as being a problem?

They do, briefly. Quoting p123 of the 1st edition, http://books.google.com/books?id=L5...AEwAA#v=onepage&q=parent&f=false

"We do not recommend that parents mentor their children, even if they have the appropriate background in mathematics. Parents may demand too much of their own child or may be unable to get enough cooperation from their child. They may be too ego-involved in the mentoring situation, or they simply may not have credibility with the school."

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Bostonian #102543 05/17/11 06:23 AM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    "We do not recommend that parents mentor their children, even if they have the appropriate background in mathematics. Parents may demand too much of their own child or may be unable to get enough cooperation from their child. They may be too ego-involved in the mentoring situation, or they simply may not have credibility with the school."

I read this book a few years ago and remember thinking it was silly for the parent not to be the mentor. In retrospect, though, this passage turns out to have predicted many of my inadequacies. Small consolation, too, that I can outperform even what the experts predict!

Ah, well. We do our best...

BaseballDad #102561 05/17/11 11:35 AM
    S
    S
    Any suggestions where/how to find a mentor? We are thinking that this would be the best step for us next year with DS5-almost-6... They are having a hard time differentiating appropriately for him at school... We were thinking of trying to get the 5th grade math teacher (who we really like, although we haven't interacted with him academically) to tutor/mentor him after school once or twice a week.

BaseballDad #102580 05/17/11 04:02 PM
    In your minds, what's the difference between a mentor and a tutor?

BaseballDad #102582 05/17/11 04:33 PM
    In regards to a Math Mentor, we are expolring the idea of using a mentor for DS8. I am not a mathmatician and belive that a mentor may add more depth as well as a new perspective for DS. Because of distance issues, we are looking at using the computer to communicate with an online mentor. Something like Courtney James from Math Perfect, or some other math mentor.

herenow #102635 05/18/11 08:51 AM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by herenow
    In your minds, what's the difference between a mentor and a tutor?

I think of a tutor as someone who teaches the material and a mentor as someone who cultivates the child by teaching the material. I don't know if this is a standard way of making the distinction.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM