Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #102611 05/18/11 06:27 AM
    U
    OP Offline
    U

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:15 PM.
    Thanks for sharing this. This sort of comment is exactly the kind of feedback that school folks can hear and get excited about. I'm assuming it's too late in the year to bother with this school, but if anyone reading this hears something similar - take it to the teacher and whoever else at the school, because this is a true problem for gifted kids, and the sort of thing that translates well into the mindset of elementary school adults.

Please don't blame yourself for feeding her love of Math at home. It just plain isn't your fault - unless you count genetics ((giggle))

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    That is sad. frown How much school is left? It's likely review time, which will be even more boring for your DD, so maybe it isn't a bad idea to relay this info to the teacher and ask if you can send something in?

I wouldn't hold off on teaching math at home either. You're just nourishing your child. Also, I find that with my kiddo, his interests are in spurts, and so we try to give him what he wants when he wants it, or he'll lose interest.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, it's too late for this school at this point--we gave up on math long ago (she was accommodated somewhat for reading, but not at all for math). But I see what you mean about this being the kind of comment that might get through to someone. It's certainly different from "It's boring," which one might hear from almost any child at some point.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I have sent some things in, but she says she hardly ever gets to work on them. The whole class does math together and it's been very lockstep. Though she has never been evaluated, they consider her "on grade level" in math.

Yes, she is definitely in a math phase right now. She's really excited about it, and will beg me for math problems at bedtime. What she doesn't know (and won't for a long time if I can help it) is that I have never liked math and had major math anxiety as a child. In fact, she can calculate multi-digit problems faster in her head than I can. Someone else who enjoyed math and was a bit of a hobbyist with it could have so much fun with this child. I'm trying!

You're doing a great job. I can relate - I was so thrilled that the University offered alternatives to math, such as Logic...

Have you discovered Penrose the Mathematical Cat, by Theoni Pappas? My DS7 is loving that book now.

U
    OP Offline
    U

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:16 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM