Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
    W
    W
    I thought the article talked about how she and her mother are graduating college.

I assumed it was a college not community college, which in my opinion is no different than AP courses in high school or worse.

Ren

CFK Offline
    The point was that this mother found a way to allow her child the opportunity to start college classes at a young age. This might be an idea for some others who are hesitant about their child being alone in an environment with older students.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I thought the article talked about how she and her mother are graduating college.

I assumed it was a college not community college, which in my opinion is no different than AP courses in high school or worse.

Ren

Not sure what you mean here? You mean that all community colleges are just glorified high schools or worse? I think that many community colleges offer very good programs at the freshman/sophomore college level. Did I misunderstand?

Val

Last edited by Val; 05/16/11 10:29 AM.
    W
    W
    After looking at education stocks, that is my opinion.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow. There must be some kind of judgment demon haunting this thread. I like this forum because the level of discussion is usually pretty much head and shoulders above any other public forum I've found on the web. So I've been pretty surprised by what I've read here.

One person wrote an opinion, which others appeared to take as a opportunity to get offended rather than debating civilly like grownups. She tried to qualify what she said, but this didn't have much of an impact for a while. One person (who I would normally expect a lot more from) even announced that we aren't allowed to state our opinions here. We can only talk about our experiences. Oh, okay. Nice.

I feel like I've been watching a bunch of mean popular girls pick at another girl who wears glasses and unstylish clothes. This is not my opinion. I am only reporting on my experience.

Now we have absolutist blanket statements about a couple different things, like all community colleges are at best as good as high school AP courses. Nice.

I'm sorry I started this thread. The saddest thing of all is that I did it because the one who was getting picked on asked me to because she was looking for alternatives for her child when s/he finishes high school and she was hoping my ideas might be a good starter catalyst. So much for that idea.

Last edited by Val; 05/16/11 12:06 PM. Reason: Clarity
    There is obviously a deep source of angst about this topic, and it's understandable. Anyone who sends their kid off to college at age 15 or younger is going to be seen as pushing their child by some administrators or the jealous/competitive parents we all write and read about here from time to time, and maybe even seen as damaging their child in some way. It's bound to make people a bit touchy and defensive.

Then E Mama's post came in with some judgmental-sounding language, with (in my humble opinion) predictable results. To a lot of folks here it seemed like she was picking on people who send their kids off to college early. I think in the end E Mama is a class act, who merely touched on a hot-wire issue by voicing her own somewhat strong opinion, and did her best to clean things up in the end. There's nothing really wrong with conviction, just as there is not with making one's best attempt at solving educational problems for outlier kids-- and I bet that if everyone here had been in the same room, with benefits of voice inflection and body language, things would have de-escalated much sooner.

I agree with you about opinions not being out of line here. I don't think Grinity would generally scold someone for voicing an opinion, though. She tries to step in when she thinks people are getting too aggressive or insulting with each other.

(My opinion is that everyone's emotional IQ could use a boost here. I am wholeheartedly of the opinion that all of us in this thread could, with the proper training, become emotional geniuses enough to never take offense in any such thread. laugh Will we ever discover those perfect teaching methods? Perhaps not. Until then, we limp along as well as possible. I think some good points were made, along with the distressful statements.)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    M
    Hello everyone,

It's taken me a while to go through this thread, but I think it's a good idea to close it at this point due to personal arguments that have veered off from the original topic of the thread. I also deleted a number of inflammatory posts in this thread. I do agree with some opinions that some statements in were made more to stir up the pot than anything else, and this trend has been increasing lately.

I'll be working on updating the Board Rules in the near future to give more specific guidelines than what is currently there (in the bottom left corner).

Referencing Val's statement, "I like this forum because the level of discussion is usually pretty much head and shoulders above any other public forum I've found on the web" - we want to keep Gifted Issues this way, and we'll do everything on our end to do so.

Please send me a private message if you have any questions.

Mark

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM