Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
    N
    N
    Looking from another perspective, I have had various experiences in dormitory life across top schools in the US, including experience as a graduate resident assistant.

There are some universities where I would trust any kid age 15 and older, even a girl(!), and others where I would not. The adult support network and the experience that these schools have with younger students is very important. Some schools have the infrastructure in place and some don't.

At the school where I was an RA, we had many students who were starting age 15-18, the girls actually generally did much better than the boys did. One generally didn't remember that they were so young, whereas with the boys it tended to be more obvious. Of course, some of this could be because the boys in our dorm were more likely to have diagnosed Aspbergers. The girls who tended to have problems tended to be the ones who were the average age for their grade.

I went away to public boarding school for gifted kids when I was 15. That was MUCH MORE oversexed than college, apart from fraternity systems.

I can't say what Wren's personal experiences are, but high school boys and college boys tend to be equally oversexed in my experience, but college boys have more self-control. Rape is a serious problem and one that is better addressed on some campuses, high school or college, than others.

I don't have much experience for college students under age 15. We did have kids as young as 13 (all boys) at my boarding high school and they did just fine.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Besides what has been touched upon here - well roundedness, getting into the college of choice, finances - is there something that specifically terrifies you about early college for your son?

I thank you for asking CFK. I think I would have been willing to share and seek advice, but honestly I have felt completely attacked on this thread and now do not feel comfortable sharing our situation. I do appreciate your willingness to try to understand what I was trying to say.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Nicole2
    There are some universities where I would trust any kid age 15 and older, even a girl(!), and others where I would not. The adult support network and the experience that these schools have with younger students is very important. Some schools have the infrastructure in place and some don't.

Do you have any suggestions or tips for what parents should look for? What sorts of questions might be good to ask to determine if the school will be supportive or not?

P
    P
    Originally Posted by E Mama
    My bad, it was a sloppy post. I will be much more clear next time. I was writing it in a rush which is usually not a good idea.

Thanks for saying that. I hope the thread will move on to something else.

E
    E
    I removed the original post because it was so poorly written and it clearly hurt and/or offended people. I do not want to put something out there that causes this kind of grief.
    If I post again I will make sure my posts are representing my ideas clearly!

I am aware that I probably cut and pasted a section of this article a tiny bit larger than I should have. Here's the real research by smart people who did research.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10177.aspx

The students who enter college early are a highly selective group. They have exceptional intellectual abilities. In addition, the fact that students are aware of the possibility of early entrance and enter these programs suggests that they have unusually interested and supportive families or teachers. Early entrants may be outstanding in other ways, such as socially or in their level of confidence and maturity. Researchers may eschew the research findings reported below because of the selectivity of the samples studied. It is probably true that if a random group of academically qualified high school students were put into an early entrance program, the results of these investigations would be different. But, as Benbow (1991) points out, accelerative strategies are not for every gifted child and it is appropriate that students self select themselves into these opportunities. Self selection really entails matching a child's needs, personality and abilities to the characteristics of a program (Benbow, 1991). Early entrance programs, especially those that offer radical acceleration (i.e. four years or more), have continuously refined their selection procedures based on experiences with students to ensure that participants can do college level work and adjust socially. They try to choose students who will succeed. As Southern and Jones (1991) point out, most accelerative options, including early admission, are administrative arrangements to accommodate students who have mastered material at an earlier than usual age. Candidates for early admission are usually very obviously different from other students and both positive and negative findings regarding early entrants are as likely attributable to these differences as to the early entrance experience itself (Southern & Jones, 1991). This said, the research supports that early entrance to college is an appropriate option for some gifted students.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    D
    D
    [Contents of this post have been graciously removed by the author in light of similar actions taken by others.]

Last edited by Dandy; 05/14/11 02:29 PM. Reason: Too much felt on my desk.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    de�mand�ing/diˈmandiNG/Adjective�
    1. (of a task) Requiring much skill or effort: "she has a busy and demanding job".�
    2. (of a person) Making others work hard or meet high standards. More ��
    Dictionary.com Answers.com
    Merriam-Webster The Free Dictionary

I think there's a big difference between bullying and demanding. �I (hope) the kind of people who don't like to let stuff drop, who keep digging and digging, are not bullys but are perfectionists twords themselves and others. �Asynchronousity is a brat. �On top of all that the gifted are often overly sensitive. �Diversity. �Tolerance. �Peace.". Welcome here. �WeLove U. �
    I'm going to continue to make an effort to clean up my Grammer, reign in my fiery personality, show a little more pride in my work and let my inner adult come out to play. � Wish me luck and have a little patience.

I hope the kids aren't this misunderstood. Parents have to be the adults, have a little more thicker skin, put a little more thought into it. Hey. Maybe gifted parents need a support group to talk through these things.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Now I wish I could delete what I said because I was trying to promote a mindset that was more considerate of each other as well as tolerant of the facts but now I think I just like to talk too much and probably didn't need to say what I said.

B
    B
    In general I am pro-acceleration. One concern I would have about sending a very young student to college that I have not seen mentioned yet is that he or she might be able to handle the academic work during the school year but not be able to get summer internships. Do companies shy away from hiring students below age 18? Even if companies are willing, does the student have some of the practical skills -- for example the ability to drive -- that may be needed for a summer job? I have read that good summer internships are important for landing good jobs after college. Often students will get jobs at companies they were summer interns at.

If the youngster will very likely attend graduate school after the B.A., summer internships may be less of a concern, but if he or she intends to work immediately after college, the summer internship question is more important.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM