Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    CFK Offline
    Originally Posted by E Mama
    What do you find offensive?

If that statement offends you - sorry. It was not written to offend. It was written from a place that is terrified to send our under 13 year old son to college (not because we think college is dangerous).

That's what I was talking about - giving the benefit of the doubt. I took offense where none was intended, that's why I went back and changed my post.

I found it offensive becuase it was such a concrete statement. You didn't say that you saw no point in your child going to college early, you saw no point in any child going to college early. As you don't know my son and our circumstances, that came across as judgmental of my family's decision.

If I posted that anyone who doesn't allow their child to go to college early are denying them of an appropriate education then I would probably offend you since you have apparently made other choices.

And that's why I don't often find this board judgmental. Most posters here are careful to coach their replies in terms of their own child.

Last edited by CFK; 05/14/11 12:03 PM.
    E
    E
    My bad, it was a sloppy post. I will be much more clear next time. I was writing it in a rush which is usually not a good idea.
    I am not judging your family choice in any way. How could I? I do not know your family : )
    I am speaking from our family perspective.

D
    D
    Let me point out that my comment on this thread was posted before passtp made any comments. So, my comment had absolutely nothing to do with her or anyone on this thread.
    I totally agree -- you weren't addressing any specific individual. You were, however, perceived (at least by me) as taking a broad swipe at the early-college decision in general.

It is an opinion that passtp has taken personally.
    And it is also one that (I suspect) many here have taken at least somewhat personally.

Imagine treading into a Waldorf forum over yonder and saying something akin to "We have no intention of letting him play with felt. There are so many things one can play with that I do not see the point of having a child, regardless of their intellectual ability, playing with felt. We are interested in raising a well-rounded young man not just one who plays with felt."

If suggesting that an early-college choice would result in a child who "just excels in in reading, math, science etc." rather than in a "well-rounded young man" is not just a tad judgmental, then I need a new dictionary.

Dandy

P
    P
    Great analogy Dandy.

(and for the record I love felt I hope nobody is going to criticize it!)

There are more issues than "this kid really loves to learn so I must accomodate" involved. There are multi shades in the PG spectrum alone. You can go from 150 IQ to 200 IQ. There were 7 or 8 in that IQ group with IQs in the 200 range, worldwide.

What is this? There's 7 or 8 people in what group with iq over 200? http://www.kids-iq-tests.com/IQ-scores-201-210.html. What group? Spill the beans, lady. Peace and love.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by anonymous
    [quote=hip]
    First, my son is a perfectionist. �If he has trouble at the beginning of a learning process, he still, at age 11, tends to give up. �I don't let him. [quote=hip]�
    RE:
    I agree that can be a huge problem and it is one of the reasons we decided to allow our child to radically accelerate. No matter how how well meaning parental pushing and badgering is not an adequate substitute for a sufficiently challenging curriculum and educational environment. ��

Well Hippy I can see why you might take this as personally insulting since, well, it was personally addressed to. �I wonder what happened to old Jane Smith?
    You should have seen the insults they gave me on another forum. �They made me cry. They presented themselves as the kindest, gentlest, most intelligent mothers but the way they treated me was reproachable. � I wish I could show how blatantly nasty they were to me, but that forum removed those threads to protect their company's image. �I thought it was on a level with cyber-bullying. �I googled and cyber bullying was something else entirely. �What it turned out those gentle ladies of that forum had actually done to me was a form of workplace bullying.
    I'm saying this to say I hope nobody here feels like I felt when they did that to me.

What we have here is a very open forum in that the moderator doesn't censor stuff to make the conversation flow a certain way like other forums do. �He seems to be providing a great service of allow free and open exchange where it would be hard for us to ever have met each other otherwise. �

What I can recommend is that anyone who feels personally insulted speak up clearly and quickly as you can do so coherently. �Try to say what you feel and what you need and not say much about the other person. �
    "Strangers making terrible predictions about my parenting choices makes me feel like a tornado has formed inside my skull. �My chest tightens because I have enough variables to line up in making decisions that I'm angered when someone uses another persons story to tell me how mine will play out. �I need to be judged in the context of my own life and my own situation. �I need my statements to be interpreted and responded to in the context of knowing vaguely who I was that said it (by spirit if not by name)."

Thank you. �Thank you. �Thank you for letting me let that out after all this time.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    ... a tornado has formed inside my skull... chest tightens... Thank you for letting me let that out

La Texican, if you ever feel like anything's going to rupture, please seek emergency medical attention first, and post afterward!

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    You should have seen the insults they gave me on another forum. �They made me cry. They presented themselves as the kindest, gentlest, most intelligent mothers but the way they treated me was reproachable. I wish I could show how blatantly nasty they were to me, but that forum removed those threads to protect their company's image.
    That was precisely the "forum" I had in mind when offering my analogy.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    CFK Offline
    It was written from a place that is terrified to send our under 13 year old son to college (not because we think college is dangerous).

Besides what has been touched upon here - well roundedness, getting into the college of choice, finances - is there something that specifically terrifies you about early college for your son?

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Imagine treading into a Waldorf forum over yonder and saying something akin to "We have no intention of letting him play with felt. There are so many things one can play with that I do not see the point of having a child, regardless of their intellectual ability, playing with felt.
    Ironically Dandy, there are people in this very forum that have criticized the Waldorf theology. How do you know there are not people here who prescribe to that way of life/education?
    Again, you chose to pick one of my comments instead of looking at the entire thread. Clearly, there is no point in one trying to defend themselves or their ideas because once this crowd has decided they are "offended" it is relentless grilling. Hmm, I would say this is a type of bullying (many ganging up on one). So, my opinion is different than yours. Yes, our family does think that kids under 13 years of age is too young for college- we can't have that opinion? Our family would never try to interfere with another parent's right to do what they feel is best for their child.I clarified my first statement throughout this thread, very few have read this but have focused on what they want to, to continue to "attack".
    I guess it is okay to be harsh with people if you are all on the same side.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM