Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
    Originally Posted by E Mama
    I believe Val started this thread so that people could share their opinions and experiences.
    We do encourage people to talk about their experiences, but sharing opinions is not the point of this forum. Particularly when the opinions are stated in a way that any native speaker of english would recogize as an attack, such as:
    There are so many things one can study that I do not see the point of having a child, regardless of their intellectual ability, going full time to college. We are interested in raising a well-rounded young man not just one who excels in reading, math, science etc.
    If you truly wanted an answer to this questions, you might have posted:
    I'm confused, would someone be willing to share their reasons for having their 10-13 year old attend College?
    Accusing other poster of attacking your views isn't helpful.
    E Mama - you have posted so many helpful and kind posts on other topics, this thread doesn't fit the high expectations I have of you at all.

I propose we all take a step back from this topic for 24 hours.
    Sleep well my Dear Ones,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    My post was not intended to attack anyone. I should have clarified more, I agree. I am hearing a lot of opinions on this forum, so I don't know why my opinion was a problem.
    I did not intend, at least in my heart, to offend anyone. I do feel others have been rude and have attacked me and twisted what I said.
    I am not interested in participating in this thread any longer. Good luck to you.

G
    G
    I have found this thread facinating (just in general, but even more so with the added intrigue of some personal tit for tat). There are a lot of factors I hadn't considered in terms of radical acceleration. DD could well need it from an ability perspective, possibly not from a personality perspective (though she's only 5, so perhaps I'm thinking about this too soon). For me every perspective is interesting. I have to say though that I feel Potatoes has been given a rough ride. She's made a choice that others obviously feel are not right for their own families for various reasons. However she has made a decision that she feels is right for her family (and, frankly, one supported by pretty much all research I have read).

I for one am grateful for hearing another perspective. It seems to me Potatoes is being judged by people who are not yet in her shoes (given their children's age) and who are telling her that her decisions (which they have not yet had to make in full and may never have to) are wrong, when clearly they aren't because her child is happy and fulfilled. Horror stories no doubt exist. Howvever I've seen (lived) what happens at the other end, when people go through a lock step schooling and loose out completely as a result - but there are so many factors to such stories. While I am interested in hearing all stories, none are as clear cut as radical acceleration = suicide. There is so much more to people's lives than their and their parent's educational choices.

One of the things I was horrified by when I became a parent was that people were so judgemental of each other and with so little appareciation that we're all, really, making it up as we go along. Us more so than many other parents. What quickly became apparent to me is that we all make decisions about what suits out own families. While Potatoes has pointed out some flaws in others' arguements, I don't feel they have been anywhere near as personal as the attacks on her decisions. I am very impressed by her capacity to stand by the decisions she and her family have made give that even WE are dismissing them. Imagine the fortitude it has take to make those decisions in the face of day to day life. I think as well if you read Potatoes' comments in the context of what else she has posted in the past - this is not someone who pushes their kid. This is someone who takes their child's lead. If you don't think your child would benefit from the the same choices, make different ones (which you obviously are - and more power to you).

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    One of the things I was horrified by when I became a parent was that people were so judgemental of each other and with so little appareciation that we're all, really, making it up as we go along.

At least there is much less of this in real life. Part of why this thread has been interesting to me is that this sort of negative stuff isn't something that seems to happen in real life a lot. So, I'd hate for anyone considering the early college option to fear that you will be confronted with negative comments all the time. If it is truly the right path for your child it will be obvious to the people who know them in real life. And, then you will be more likely to hear something like "It must have been rough to be confronted with the need to make these decisions, but you handled it well."

H
    hip Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    We do encourage people to talk about their experiences, but sharing opinions is not the point of this forum. Particularly when the opinions are stated in a way that any native speaker of english would recogize as an attack
    Grinity

Really? What would a native speaker of English think of the responses to my posts in this thread (pp. 12ff.)?

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/91742/12.html

I expected disagreement, and got it; what surprised me the most was the predictions of a terrible future for a child the posters had never met.

E
    E
    Yes, there is a lot of judgement happening here. People are clearly judging my post and opinion (some without reading the full thread).
    Let me point out that my comment on this thread was posted before passtp made any comments. So, my comment had absolutely nothing to do with her or anyone on this thread. It is an opinion that passtp has taken personally. My comment was not directed at her or anyone here. My comment is coming from our family position based on our personal situation that involves having a child graduate h.s. radically early. Based solely on what I have read here, I do not see that there are that many families here that have kids who will graduate h.s. younger than 13. It is not even clear to me that passtp has a child that went to college younger than 13 and if she did I have no ill judgement of this. That is her family choice.
    If you would like to make judgements, how about reading the full thread from beginning to end. I am also not the one who was insulting other people.

CFK Offline
    We have no intention of sending him to college early. There are so many things one can study that I do not see the point of having a child, regardless of their intellectual ability, going full time to college. We are interested in raising a well-rounded young man not just one who excels in reading, math, science etc.

E mama, I read this post and also felt very offended. I replied to this way back on page one and then went back and edited my post because I felt that it was possible that I was reading something into this that was not intended. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but really, as someone who is sending their child to college early there is really not any way to read this without being offended. A statement like this is usually not posted on this board where most of us seem to very non-judgmental of others' choices.

I think we all have much more in common than not on this board and have a lot of valuable experiences to share.

E
    E
    What do you find offensive? By the way, I was referring to children under 13 years of age and made the mistake of not clarifying that. I am not putting anyone down if they choose to send a child to college under the age of 13,but I personally do not agree with that choice,however, I would try to understand the choice. No one on this thread has claimed they have a child that has gone to college full time under the age of 13 (have graduated h.s.).
    I find 15/16 young and worrisome, but I don't think attending college full time at 15/16 is the same as under 13. I should have clarified this as I stated earlier. If that statement offends you - sorry. It was not written to offend. It was written from a place that is terrified to send our under 13 year old son to college (not because we think college is dangerous).
    CFK , I do find your statement that people here are not judgmental here untrue.

CFK Offline
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    One of the things I was horrified by when I became a parent was that people were so judgemental of each other and with so little appareciation that we're all, really, making it up as we go along.

At least there is much less of this in real life. Part of why this thread has been interesting to me is that this sort of negative stuff isn't something that seems to happen in real life a lot. So, I'd hate for anyone considering the early college option to fear that you will be confronted with negative comments all the time. If it is truly the right path for your child it will be obvious to the people who know them in real life. And, then you will be more likely to hear something like "It must have been rough to be confronted with the need to make these decisions, but you handled it well."

I agree. Ironically the only naysayers I have encountered about decisions I have made for my son have been on this board. For people that know my child, there is usually no problem understanding why we do what we do.

W
    W
    I think that there is a lot to be shared in all respects. Not just my kid is uber brilliant and went to college at 11. Parents of younger children would like to know, really know, how you handle the other aspects. Because puberty is a big issue for all kids. Their bodies are changing, their brains are really changing.

There are more issues than "this kid really loves to learn so I must accomodate" involved. There are multi shades in the PG spectrum alone. You can go from 150 IQ to 200 IQ. There were 7 or 8 in that IQ group with IQs in the 200 range, worldwide.

But the discussion really helped me look at options and perhaps think a path I might not have considered because of this discussion and others who were adamant about no early college at 15, will find themselves sending their now 5 year old to college at 14. And Val may be sending her kid to college right after high school. No year off for the peace corps. (literary license Val, so please let it go).

The point is, that sharing our experiences, whatever they are, give us insight to what are options.

Someone just lent me books on the "gifted child". They were like books we all read as we started on this journey. But we find out that our kids are all very different and even with similar IQs require different environments to make them happy kids.

So in the interest of disclosure and sharing, I posted in this topic about our 15 year old girls being sexual targets. And Potatoes, I took offense at your response. It is because of my own experience. Being at home dating high school boys is not the same as being young, in a dorm, where you don't expect older boys to act as they might, since they are older. Rape is real and an issue for younger girls in college. Boys they might have gone out on a date with but they do not realize the social changes of 15 to 18.

Although there are kids entering college at 11 or 12 and living at home, I think the majority on this board are looking at kids entering a year or 2 earlier, living on campus. These are things we need to prepare for long in advance so that our kids can be safe and enjoy their college experiences, even as younger entrants.

Ren

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM