Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    My oldest will be graduating high school at 16, so not nearly as young as some of your kids, but she plans to attend college out of state straight out of high school. Hopefully we can figure out a way to finance that b/c we really don't have the $ saved and hopefully she won't be so young as to give schools pause about accepting her.
    This is a heavy consideration. From what i've read early graduates might qualify for college but they don't qualify for most scholarships due to age only. That's different than homeschooling and taking a few college classes. I just made a mental note because I want to feel like I'm one step ahead of my kid's needs so I'm overplanning, anticipating the possibilities, preparing to react to reality as it unfolds.

Last edited by La Texican; 05/13/11 01:29 PM. Reason: To philosophize a little:)

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    She has mentioned the idea of working on turning her small business (a low-profit that currently partners with a community non-profit via a fixed percentage profit-share) into an NPO, and/or doing an unpaid internship with the community non-profit to learn some granstmanship, etc.

I love that your DD has her own business! How fantastic. I would love to hear more about it. Would you be willing to start a topic on this. Pretty interesting indeed!

Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Just out of curiousity since I really have been thinking about this: does allowing your child to travel during a gap year or allowing your child to study overseas allow your child a safer place to learn when deemed not mature enough to go to college? I could see that attending a local college or university could make sense given that your child would still be living at home with you or would, at least, be very close to you, but I've always wondered about the traveling approach while waiting to be mature enough to attend college. It seems like being on your own in a foreign country might be a bit more risky than going a state or two away to attend college. Just wondering if anyone has experience witht this? It's always good to know all about the options.

I might consider the option for my chidren but what I had in mind was not "backpacking around Europe" (like the frightening movie "Taken"). I might consider something like a foreign exchange student situation. My grandparents hosted foreign exchange students while my dad was in highschool. They would be in the care of a host family. It's an entirely different situation i would imagine.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by E Mama
    She has mentioned the idea of working on turning her small business (a low-profit that currently partners with a community non-profit via a fixed percentage profit-share) into an NPO, and/or doing an unpaid internship with the community non-profit to learn some granstmanship, etc.

I love that your DD has her own business! How fantastic. I would love to hear more about it. Would you be willing to start a topic on this. Pretty interesting indeed!

Sorry. I'm not really comfortable discussing specifics of her business model, since it's pretty unique and therefore personally identifying. (Particularly given her media exposure.)

I mentioned it, though, because in kids that have an entreprenurial leaning or are inclined toward community service, this can be a pretty good way of enriching during the adolescent years.

In her case, this was a direct response to (illegally) being tossed out of club athletics due to her disability. She spun her angst and bitterness into gold that does good in her community. I'm pretty proud of that. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    E
    E
    In her case, this was a direct response to (illegally) being tossed out of club athletics due to her disability. She spun her angst and bitterness into gold that does good in her community. I'm pretty proud of that. cool
    And proud you should be : )
    I fully respect your desire for privacy. smile

B
    B

Sorry. I'm not really comfortable discussing specifics of her business model, since it's pretty unique and therefore personally identifying. (Particularly given her media exposure.)

Good luck to your daughter. Maybe E Mama would be interested in a WSJ article I posted previously about teenage entrepreneurs: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....Teenage_Entrepreneurs_WSJ.html#Post81544 .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    E
    E
    Thanks Bostonian. I will check it out : )

W
    W
    I was just talking with a mother of DD's classmate and her older son is at Hunter. There is an 1th grade student, who remains at Hunter for social reasons and other stuff, who is one of those PG students they make movies about. His father has PhD in math and cannot do the son' homework. The son has finished the math curriculum at Columbia. He stays at Hunter because all the courses he takes at Columbia, NYU are free. He is almost finished the physics. She did not elaborate what level and she is a very smart chemical engineer.

She told me the father stuggles with the son's homework which he finishes in a blink of an eye. These kinds of kids do need college early because their brains just work that way but now what does he do. He also is a piano prodigy. He can learn a complicated concerto in a week and play it perfectly. It is like Little Man Tate was written about him.

This is not my DD, who is smart enough to be whatever she wants but will not win a Fields' Medal in math for some new theorum.

Ren

W
    W
    EDIT: Sorry, he is an 11th grade student. Not 1th grade.

Ren

P
    P
    I was not clear. In my mind I was thinking about 10-13 years old as going to college early. I am not sure why you find our family view on "well-roundedness" so offensive. I am not stating that you need to agree. We have a child that could graduate very early,but we are choosing to delay that with other options, so I am speaking from a perspective of a parent who has experience with a child who is excelling across the board.

I don't at all find the concept of well roundedness "offensive." What I find to be a totally inaccurate assumption is your assumption that students would not be well rounded if they enter college early or that they would be more well rounded if their entrance to college was delayed. It may not be your experience, but yes, there are kids that young who are very well rounded.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 05/13/11 04:13 PM.
    Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM