Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
    Wren #101775 05/09/11 02:39 PM
    P
    P
    From Harvard law school site. Here's a list of the undergraduate institutions of students currently in the law school. http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/undergrads.html
    Lots of schools you'd expect and lots you might not such as Arizona State, Valdosta State, Calvin College, University of Alabama, University of Mississippi, Westmont College, and many more.

From the Harvard med school site: "What undergraduate institution should I attend? Do Ivy League students have an advantage over other students?
    Harvard Medical School is looking for people with broad interests and talents, not for students from particular academic institutions. Attend an undergraduate college that will challenge you both academically and personally." http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=admissions

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 05/09/11 02:48 PM.
    Wren #101776 05/09/11 02:51 PM
    J
    J
    Case in point.
    Harvard Med SAYS they want diversity. Having gone there, and still interviewing for them, etc., I can that this is not strictly true. By and large, the people who were there and from lesser known schools tended to be- my friend from U. of Missouri whose dad graduated from there and she was a nationally ranked runner. Several African-American students from Spelman or Morehouse who were the first person in their family to go to college, that type of thing.
    It's harder to get into top schools coming from lesser known schools. That doesn't mean it's impossible or can't be done.

Wren #101779 05/09/11 03:15 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    If it is better to go instate if you aspire to local politics, what was Bill Clinton thinking when going to Yale since he wanted to become governor of Arkansas?

And like Jack'smom says: not that you cannot get in, but you were probably the first in the class, did something special.

Also, rapid acceleration must be very fashionable. Disney's new show is about 11 year olds in high school. Move over Hannah Montana, bring in the highly gifted.

Ren

Wren #101783 05/09/11 03:49 PM
    M
    M
    Hello,

In response to a post from much earlier, for the amount of graduates The Davidson Academy has had, only a few have gone on to attend the University of Nevada, Reno. For a list of universities Academy students have gone on to attend, click here: http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=249&NavID=0_40. Of course the 2011 class will be announced this week, so a few more colleges will be added to this list.

Wren #101784 05/09/11 04:04 PM
    P
    P

Originally Posted by Wren
    And like Jack'smom says: not that you cannot get in, but you were probably the first in the class, did something special.

Again, we are talking out top students. Students who could get into highly selective schools but instead chose their state universities. Of course we aren't talking about the average graduate - these are top students.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    It's harder to get into top schools coming from lesser known schools. That doesn't mean it's impossible or can't be done.

What do you make of the Harvard Law list. There are a wide variety of schools represented. I think there is actually a strong argument that you may be better off coming out of obscure state university than being yet another Ivy applicant pile.

Wren #101786 05/09/11 04:07 PM
    Also, rapid acceleration must be very fashionable. Disney's new show is about 11 year olds in high school. Move over Hannah Montana, bring in the highly gifted.

I hope so. �Does that mean the the mainstream teachers will become more supportive of educationally eager students?! �(and more tolerant of the kid that noticesz every mistake on the blackboard �well, <blushes> �maybe they wouldn't notice every little mistake if there was something more productive to do in a school day than read a book while writing and doodling and listening to the teacher. �(smaller) �which makes the kid be treated kind of like nothing more than a bother at times.)))Yay! �Yeah. �Too late for my childhood but just in time for my kids. �I vaguely remember being told at least twice not to do all the answer in the textbook for the year ahead in the first couple of weeks, just so it was already done. �And to stay in my seat and quit talking because I was done in ten minutes every paper they gave you thirty to do. �I'm not trying to race my kid to colleg or out of the house I'm just tickled pink that I see more options. Eta: I'm excited that I can do more than just tell my kid "be quiet and listen to the teacher because you're a kid and that's what kids do.". Which is fine, and of course I'll do that too. But this "teaching in the zone of proximal development" just feels so much more just.

Last edited by La Texican; 05/09/11 04:15 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Wren #101824 05/10/11 08:33 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I think the point, thank you Mark, is not the list of schools but percentages. If one kid in 1000 goes to U of Mississippi but 200 go to MIT, that is very different, even though they are both represented.

And, my question was, how they did. Did they enter college early, how early, what was their path after? Maybe you don't have longitudinal data yet. But those questions are interesting and would be helpful as we try and earn support for our children following.

Ren

Wren #101829 05/10/11 09:28 AM
    E
    E
    DA told us the average age of their graduates is 15/16 years old.
    We were not told what percentage went directly into college.

Wren #101831 05/10/11 09:43 AM
    Val Offline
    I think the point, thank you Mark, is not the list of schools but percentages. If one kid in 1000 goes to U of Mississippi but 200 go to MIT, that is very different, even though they are both represented.

And, my question was, how they did. Did they enter college early, how early, what was their path after? Maybe you don't have longitudinal data yet. But those questions are interesting and would be helpful as we try and earn support for our children following.

Ren

I've re-read your posts, and I'm not sure what you're looking for. You talked about "when are where," in reference to college and grad school, and I've seen a lot of references to the Ivy League.

Are you primarily interested in moving to a place with schools whose graduates go to the Ivies in high numbers? If this is the case, pick any of the older prep schools back East. Emma Willard (girls; 9-12). Choate (co-ed; 9-12). Exeter NH. Andover MA. New Jersey is full of exclusive private K-12 schools. Etc. Just do a google search. If you want to go out west, try Harker. I expect that kids who do well at the DA will have a good shot at admission to their schools of choice.

I completely understand wanting to get out of the New York City public school system and all its insanities. But at the same time, your daughter is only in kindergarten or 1st grade, right? It seems early to be digging this deep into college admissions statistics. What if she wants to go to the Colorado School of Mines to study geology? Or film studies at UCLA? Paths and ambitions can change a lot in 11 or 12 years.

Last edited by Val; 05/10/11 09:51 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM