Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (twallace, 1 invisible), 0 Guests and 226 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    OakHill, FannieKaplan, Chloe Nash, ziaurrahman, kf9009
    10920 Registered Users
    February
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
    Topic Options
    #103139 - 05/23/11 07:55 AM Re: Rapid Acceleration [Re: Wren]
    Bostonian Offline

Loc: MA
    Originally Posted By: Wren

Also read about William Sidis. Which is really sad. But goes with the story that some psychiatrists are not crazy, but the children of psychiatrists always are. Was told that by the child of a pyschiatrist.

You have a habit of making generalizations such as the one above (which taken literally, is certainly false) without any supporting evidence.

#103148 - 05/23/11 09:43 AM Re: Rapid Acceleration [Re: Wren]
    passthepotatoes Offline

Wren,
    If you really want to understand this topic, I'd suggest rather than trolling obscure (and sometimes parody) websites, that you'd be better off looking to more current and substantive sources of information. The Nation Deceived report would be one place to start.

As a parent of a PG kid who has been radically accelerated I personally don't find it at all helpful to have examples of people from seventy five years ago cited as proof of any child's doomed future. When people say stuff like this I wonder what they are trying to say to the parents of super PG kids - you are screwed? too bad your kid was born? no matter what you are going to screw it up? your kid might seem okay to you now but later you'll see they will end up crazy? In addition to this being totally inaccurate it is not at all helpful.

#103151 - 05/23/11 09:49 AM Re: Rapid Acceleration [Re: Wren]
    Wren Offline

OK, I am so wrong. My opinions are bogus.

Done.

Ren

#103224 - 05/23/11 09:14 PM Re: Rapid Acceleration [Re: Wren]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    <insert my opinions here>
    ok.  We're still in the rapid acceleration thread, right?

Originally Posted By: wren
    You say could?  But statiscally, does anyone know what 180 IQ looks like in decimal places?  Maybe there are, maybe there aren't.  You have that kid at Hunter.  He is one in a school for gifted with 200 kids per year and 7th through 12th grade.  They found one in the sample set where most highly gifted kids in a city of 8 million try for spots in 7th grade.  

Ren

I thought iq #s weren't very good at differentiating above and beyond a certain point.  And with everybody getting different tests and everybody's "#" being more of a range , well.  I don't really have a point to make.

Lucounu, did you click on the test at the bottom?  I'm scared.  Not of the results.  I read the page and now I'm scared that if I click the link I'll find and AFV scary webpage where a ghoul jumps on the screen and says "boo", and it's too close to bed time for that.  

Originally Posted By: ColinsMum
    Even if we had such a case it wouldn't prove that every child with that capability would be well served by the system if the parents didn't act, because any negative cases, where the parents did not act and the child was not well served, are invisible.

That's true.  You're really not going to be able to make a survey or use math to tell you what's the best choice you need to make.  You can't get all your answers from someone else's story.  You individual you.  But you can talk it over with all your close friends and strangers here.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Misdiagnosis of 2e?
    by twallace
    1 second ago
    Making mindless mistakes
    by twallace
    Today at 04:13 PM
    How to advocate for child who tries to blend in?
    by twallace
    Today at 04:09 PM
    Accommodations for kindergarten?
    by indigo
    Today at 03:59 PM
    Subjective Test Reason For Being Denied Admission
    by JudAU
    Today at 01:07 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter