Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #101438 05/05/11 07:08 AM
    herenow Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There is a large chance than next year's math isn't going to be too challenging for dd next year. I think it's going to be ok (she will have a lot of other opportunities/adjustments to make), but just in case, I am wondering -- essentially -- what topics do you wish they taught in math that aren't "on the Algebra/Geometry/Trig/Calc. path. For example, I know AOPS has a number theory class and a probability class and i just read about a cryptology summer camp. Finance? Ideas would be great. Resources would be really great. smile Thanks.

D
    D
    Herenow, how old is your DD?

We just received a nice book from the credit union-- covers things like compound interest. I think the money-discussion path is well worth taking with all kids, whenever they're ready for it.

And having a real understanding of probability has been very valuable for our DS; helps him cope with anxiety (thinking about likely and unlikely eventualities).

DeeDee

B
    B
    You listed several good alternatives to "standard" math, such as probability, cryptography, and number theory. I'll add mathematical logic, set theory, game theory, and computer programming.

The EPGY math curriculum covers logic and set theory. Set theory was an important part of the "New Math".

Financial mathematics employs probability and calculus (or at least algebra). Applying math to finance may be difficult without some grounding in algebra.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    herenow Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am interested in the computer programming idea. I understand that is a very useful skill for people interested in the sciences (like my dd). AOPS has a class that teaches something called python. How would someone (like me) who knows absolutely nothing about the topic be able to decide what kind of programming language a child should take? Is there a place to get an overview that isn't technical?

I looked at the EPGY math curriculum for logic and set theory, and the only classes I could find had prerequisites of pre-calculus. I will keep my eyes open for other opportunities in these areas.

Considering what you've said, I think studying finance may be a few steps up the pyramid from where we are now. She has had some exposure to growth/decay which I will continue with informally. I agree that the money-discussion is critical and ongoing!

C
    C
    Python's a great first language, and is always the front runner in conversations I've been part of on the subject "what programming language should X learn first" - it has lots of powerful libraries but very little in the way of stuff you have to do to get anything to work. However, there are lots of other good choices too (some of them specifically for children - Scratch is good, for example, and my DS loves TurteArt which is a language for making a "turtle" go where you want and draw patterns on the way - there are several languages like that). In the end, it doesn't really very much matter - if someone has a reason for finding it convenient or exciting to try some language, it's better to start programming in that than to hold out for the perfect language. I would expect an AOPS Python course to be interesting!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    C
    You've had some good ideas already but may I put in a word for problem-solving taking up a lot of time that could be spent on new stuff? In school they often jump from one bit of stuff to the next and don't do nearly enough solving hard problems with what they already know for optimal mathematical development, IMO. There are lots of resources in the form of books of contest questions, Olympiads etc. - if you need specific stuff I'm sure I or others can help.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by herenow
    I looked at the EPGY math curriculum for logic and set theory, and the only classes I could find had prerequisites of pre-calculus.

I meant the EPGY K-7 math curriculum. For example, grades 5-6 http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M0WC/ cover

Multiplication and Division
    Introduction to Plane and Solid Geometry
    Sentential Logic and Sets
    Operations on Fractions and Mixed Numbers
    Decimal Arithmetic; Percentages
    Functions and Graphing
    Area and Volume
    Prime Numbers; Factors and Multiples
    Probability

If your child does EPGY math there will be some overlap with school math but also some unique topics.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    B
    B
    I agree with ColinsMum's comments and recommend the essay

Computer languages for kids
    http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/computer-languages-for-kids/

for more information.

D
    D
    http://www.eimacs.com

This is an online training for logic and computer programming.
    My son did the Introduction to Logic over the summer when he was twelve. This was a prerequisite for a group class that he took over the school year. At twelve, he was among the oldest students from the group, however, he did have an easier time with it than most too.

The below quote is from their FAQs section;

What classes must my child have taken to be ready for Advanced Mathematical Logic?
    Being ready for Introduction to Logic I, the first course in the track, has little to do with what specific courses your child has taken, but has everything to do with your child's aptitude for mathematical thinking and reading comprehension.
    How do I know if my child is ready for the course? How do we prove to IMACS that my child is ready?
    IMACS has a free, online aptitude test that your child can take. To be accepted into the course, a student must pass the aptitude test. You can register online for the aptitude test. It is free and there is no commitment or obligation. After your child completes the aptitude test, IMACS will contact you with the results.

C
    C
    That looks fun - but pricey enough to put me off, and I don't think of myself as especially price-sensitive for such things. A cheaper do-it-yourself alternative is this package:
    http://ggww.stanford.edu/NGUS/lpl/
    which we have. DS7 hasn't so far had much time for working through the book (though he has encountered much of the material elsewhere) but he loves playing with the software, Tarksi's World especially. NB it has an auto-grading facility which seems to work (you do some exercises and send them off to their server which marks them) so it's not *totally* do it yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM