Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Jenafur
    I highly recommend Gravitas Publications Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Pre Level 1! My son loved it! There's the text book, work book where they do the experiments, as well as a teachers guide manual. You can view the entire text online and view the entire books here as well as their other books in the series Physics and Biology! They are really awesome!
    http://store.gravitaspublications.com/pl1_chem_print/C00PST.html

I wanted to just warn you because when I looked into this series recently - thinking it looked really good - I found this:

Can the �-isms� be taught without prejudice?

Yes! Real science doesn�t choose sides. So when teaching science, it�s important that the lessons let kids explore all sides. Otherwise, choosing one side can get in the way of understanding the real science. Darwinism, creationism, intelligent design theory, and all the other �isms� are simply paradigms (or �lenses�) through which science is viewed. The �-isms� are philosophies based on perceptions for how science is interpreted. Students need to learn how �-isms� play a role in science.
    From here: http://www.gravitaspublications.com/

As a secular family that set off alarm bells for me! If you are happy with that viewpoint, it does look very good. It's probably more of an issue in the biology books, rather than chemistry. (An aware parent could probably taylor it too, I suppose. I just hate it when someone tried to sneak one past me, so I wouldn't pay for it!)

Last edited by GeoMamma; 04/27/11 04:33 PM.
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD loved the Magic School Bus episodes on molecular behavior at that age.

The one that I'm thinking of discusses soap molocules, hydrophobic "dirt" and the process of solute/solvent/solvation of particles via a very correct and cogent discussion (albeit a playful one) of colligative properties.

I'm thinking that there are some similar episodes that discuss changes of state.

ETA: I'm a chemist-- so I have pretty high standards for accuracy even in materials intended for children. MSB is awesome as a springboard for deeper exploration because it is so accurate.

HK
    Did you think the videos were as good as the original books? I avoided the videos because I assumed they were like the chapter books, rather simplistic with the science. DS 5 (at 4) LOVED the original books and is disappointed there aren't any new ones.

DeHe

Well, we usually used them in tandem with the original books. The videos were pretty good, in my opinion-- but there was a LOT of content and it went by pretty rapidly. Luckily, DD was so addicted to them that she watched the same ones several times and would find new things in them each run-through. They are very clever and funny. Lots of inside jokes for sciency types-- rather the way 101 Dalmations is a clever movie for adults as well as children. wink

I did try the magnetism chapter book, and I have to agree that it was fairly disappointing, overall.

My daughter also found the CD-ROM based video games of the MSB series very engaging when she was 4-7 yo, too. I don't know that they were super content-rich, but she enjoyed them. wink

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 04/27/11 04:18 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks--although the books/sites might not be exactly what I was looking for, they're still great! He is definitely "sciency", so there's no such thing as too many books/sites!! Especially since I haven't heard of some of these--he'll love them!

J
    J
    One more thing I have to share!...We love the They Might be Giants Science songs/videos, they're really great! Here's the links to some of our favorites smile.

Hey, who let in all these elephants?

JB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM