Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #10080 02/29/08 05:42 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Any suggestions on learning to spell better for DS7? In two years of spelling tests, I don't think he's missed more than two words total, but when he writes, he doesn't necessarily remember how to spell those words. He wants to know how to spell and complains that his teachers don't care and aren't teaching him. I think what is happening is that they want the kids to write and not to get stuck on spelling. As DS says, they only care that the children try their best. This actually has been good for DS, as last year he wouldn't write anything if he couldn't write it right. Still, his work does not come back corrected - he just gets the usual star or smiley face, and he is becoming increasingly frustrated - that and if I point out he made a mistake on a word, he won't correct it saying the teacher's don't care.

So, what do you think? Does it all come back to phonics? What do HS'ers do about spelling? As always, suggestions appreciated!

ps - Dottie, I included the icon with the question mark, but if you point the mouse at it, you'll see it's confused, not questions. Where is confused? Confused, if you're still out there, check back in. We miss you!

questions #10082 02/29/08 06:26 AM
    There are spelling curriculums out there. But we don't use any of them.

I have DS6 write a little every day, which is handwriting, spelling and composition practice, all rolled into one. If he asks me how to sell something, I always have him sound it out, but then I do correct him if he goes a bit off the rails and explain why it is the way it is (or if his sounding out makes more sense than the reall spelling, then I say that the real spelling makes no sense because it's English!).

We also play the "Last Letter Game" nearly constantly.

DS6 has never had a spelling test, but he's probably about as good a speller as I am.

I don't know if that helps you?

FWIW...It sounds like your DS just really wants someone to correct his mistakes, yes? Could you ask the teacher to do this for him? Special treatment, sure, but not difficult to do...

Kriston
    Dottie #10091 02/29/08 06:58 AM
    If it makes you feel any better, Dottie, early on, someone assumed I had an only child because I never posted about DS3, only about DS6.

<shrug>

When these are the kids you worry about, they're the ones you post about. Since then, I've had some worries about DS3, so I've posted about him, too.

If your DDs are dealing well with school and their role in it, they're mostly happy, mostly challenged, then of course you don't post about them. That doesn't mean you're ignoring them. We can't see your real life!

Don't let it bother you. I'm sorry you got personally attacked for your parenting. That seems ridiculously out of line to me! It seems obvious to me that you're a loving and conscientious parent!!!

Kriston
    Dottie #10094 02/29/08 07:41 AM
    Okay, now this myers-briggs stuff is bleeding into ALL the threads.
    It's taking over the forum!!!!!!!
    Darn you, you myers-brigs people whoever you are, you are enabling the categorizing people!!

Okay Kriston and Dottie, INFJ here, but very close to INTJ. I'll be the conduit of understanding since I seem to be close to both sides.

I see it as Dottie spells out the differences between the kids very black-whitish. This is done in a process that we all do here. To sort things out and make better sense of them. Data analyst.

I consider it an advanced parenting skill that actually helps us meet our children's unique needs, very well.

But if you step out of the analyst box, it can look very cold, especially because we are talking about our own children. I mean "good moms" are supposed to see(love) their children all the same. I put love in parenthesis because I think that's the root of the confusion. KWIM?
    But, fair isn't everyone gets the same, it's everyone gets what they need. I think that is really what we are doing and my opinion is that it's the key to good parenting.
    Now, if you are a intense F person like myself, for example. I "see" people's feelings, motivations etc. I actually think that's why I've had success with advocating at school. I'm able to manuever through meetings on the fly. I always "sense" what's coming next and am quick on my feet.

Okay, getting off subject, I'll pat myself on the back later. In my family I sensed that my mom favored my sister and my dad favored me. It was ever so slight and not obvious. In fact, most people don't pick up that stuff. But a kid is not supposed to know that stuff, so it kind of stinks.
    If I were a different person, Dottie, some of your posts could have pushed several buttons with me, KWIM.
    However, one of my letters allows me to put all this stuff in perspective and not internalize it. Which letter is that?
    And, I'm not saying you favor your son. But someone that doesn't know you could misinterpret a post or two if they hadn't been here long enough to have read all/most of your threads.
    I get you, though. I feel ya, girl.

Incog

incogneato #10095 02/29/08 07:44 AM
    Okay, back to spelling. I think the more you read, the better you spell. DS is obviously ahead of the curve in that subject compared to agemates because teacher doesn't seem concerned. Some kids are more intuitive spellers.

Read, read, read. That's my thought.

Sorry, that's all I could come up with!

I

#10107 02/29/08 08:21 AM
    We've never studied spelling either, and my kids do get tested on spelling every year when we do the CAT 5. They are always in the top 2%, even though we test "up" 2-4 grade levels. Every kid is different though, and if you really want a spelling program, you could try Spelling Power, which I have heard positive things about, or maybe look for spelling bee prep tools.

I think spelling is much less critical a skill to have these days, with spellcheck available on every computer. It's just icing on the cake, like nice penmanship.

Dottie #10109 02/29/08 08:37 AM
    Not correcting spelling errors in writing drives me nuts. DS5 teacher doesn't correct them either. At least that was my impression from the very few things I saw from his LA (don't let me start on that).

I am not happy about it. First of all as INTJ I need things to be right, you know? smile Second of all DS5 has amazing memory (like all gt kids I am sure) and when he writes a word incorrectly a few times he then thinks that his spelling is correct.

If he writes something at home I correct the spelling. At the beginning I used to correct only major mistakes and leave the smaller ones, now I correct everything.

When he started writing more he made more mistakes than when he typed on the computer without a spell checker. I think he put so much concentration into writing that he didn't see obvious mistakes. It's not a problem anymore, but you could see a clear difference just a few months ago. He is a very good speller though (4:0, 162 on WJ-III).

Questions, it could be that your son doesn't check what he wrote. He writes it and never reads it again. I am guilty of that myself, who has time for that? wink If you could get him to double check his writing it would probably help a lot. Could you ask his teacher to start correcting his errors? Or could you make a deal with DS that you will correct his spelling on the work he brings home?

LMom
    Dottie #10110 02/29/08 08:51 AM
    L
    L
    My 9 1/2 year old homeschooled son always wanted to spell words correctly and whenever he had to write something, he avoided using words that he wasn't sure how to spell. This is one reason he decided to try out for a spelling bee. He knew that it would require focusing on words and vocabulary for a while. I told him if he learned the more than 3,000 words on the list, he would probably know how to spell well enough that he would only have to occasionally look up words and we would take spelling off of our list of things that he needed to learn.

Today we will do nothing but spelling since the spelling bee is tomorrow. It is funny how much I learn with my son. There are words on his list that I didn't even know the definition of. So I would recommend doing a spelling bee if you think he would like that kind of thing. Since my son started practicing for it, he really started paying attention to how words were spelled, even on his video games, especially Yu-Gi-Oh.

A few years ago he enjoyed the Vocabulary Cartoon books and saw some SAT words he remembered from these books, like the word ubiquitous, on his spelling bee list and he remembered how to spell it.

The strange thing is, he will remember how to spell what I think are really hard words and if he makes a mistake, it will be on what I think is an easier word.

He liked doing Every Day Edits on educationworld.com and looking for spelling errors. He also liked using an electronic dictionary to look up words.

Dottie #10113 02/29/08 10:17 AM
    S
    S
    Barging in here (I'm still new and trying to get the lay of the land) - on spelling, I have been told that if you can spell a word backward, you can spell it forward. I've been using this method with my dd (1st grade; am I supposed to write "DD6"?) http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/app2spell.pdf and so far it is working. Of course, this would only apply to spelling test words, but if the theory is correct, then you wouldn't forget the correct spelling of those test words when you went to write the word later on. (alternatively, could the problem just be that it takes too long to stop and think about the correct spelling when the child's thoughts are moving many times faster than they can be written?)

I have never had much trouble with spelling, and I always thought it was from doing a lot of reading. But I know my dd, who has a ton of trouble reading phonetically, reads a lot of words by context, and does not focus on the spelling at the time she is reading it - she's already on to the next sentence.

snowgirl #10120 02/29/08 11:38 AM
    E
    E
    Welcome smile

In terms of spelling, my DS(8) is already a far better speller than I am. He seems to intuitively understand how to spell most words unless they really don't follow any rules.

On the otherhand, although both DS and I are voracious readers,I really struggle to spell and often just plain give up if spelling concerns are getting in the way of effective communication.

I read a bit differently. I seem to just absorb each page without consciously seeing each word on the page. Therefore, I never really look at each word so the spelling doesn't register. I'm not sure how DS reads. Although I see his head moving like an old fashioned typewriter sometimes, so I think that he is reading each word.

I tried the backwards spelling idea and within about 30 seconds had a developing headache smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM