Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Let me actually be a bit of a detractor for SnapCircuits and Logiblocks. DS7 has a set of each and while they were initially attractive, they haven't actually been used as much lately as DH's bag of miscellaneous wire etc. It's harder to understand what's really going on when everything's encased in a plastic block, maybe?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I'm with ColinsMum on the Snapcircuits. We got them for DS7 when he was around 4, I think, and he played with them for a while when he first got them, but has shown little interest whenever we pull them out again. We got him the Lego NXT robot when he was 5, I think, and that has gotten a lot more play time. We have only child syndrome...otherwise we'd stop buying these gosh-darn expensive toys!

He still plays with his regular old Legos though. They are a classic for a reason. smile ETA - we have only one Lego set piece that has stayed in its intended shape (the VW bug - he must like it because his fabulous mom drives one). Everything else has been morphed into so many things I cannot name them all. At first we were disappointed that DS would destroy the Lego creation right after building it, but now we appreciate his creativity. The rule now is you must build what comes in the Lego set at least once, then the blocks are fair game. wink

Edited again to add: I really shouldn't read these threads backwards, lol! I just read lucouno's description of the instructobot, and as I was just skimming, I started thinking, gee, that must come with a more recent version. smile But I agree that the current instructions worked quite well, and the programming is very simple. (Yes, a 5yo can do it.) Our dog also really enjoys finding and then hiding the little balls that the robot throws...

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/25/11 03:51 PM.
    I actually agree with last two Snap Circuits assessments above, and think ColinsMum's idea is on the money as to the reason. In addition, Snap Circuits are definitely a stand-alone item, so may not be a good choice for the OP. But still think they're a neat toy, and that they might be of more than passing interest for a child just starting to think about electricity moving in circuits, etc., and the first time that child hooked up something and saw a light flash or a spinner spin, it might be a memorable experience. Would they hold a child's interest for a year, or even many months? Maybe not.

I still have a soft spot for the toy Capsela too, even though it also might not hold the interest of a mechanically inclined HG+ kid for very long. For what it is, a neat toy that encourages a child to think modularly for what may be the first time when very young, it's not bad IMHO.

B
    beak Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I just came across these LaQ snapping pieces today http://buylaqtoys.com/ and bought a small set for DS5. He was quite taken with them, and has already built a bunch of boxes and odd shapes. I'm wishing I'd bought a few hundred of them as I'd like to play with them too. Is anyone familiar with these and gotten long term use out of them?

I'm leaning towards the Mindstorm for a next big present for DH and DS, based on all your thoughts...I wish a birthday were coming up soon.

That brings to mind a related question. When you see an educational toy that you think child would really enjoy and learn from, do you wait for an occasion to buy it? Do you limit how often you purchase "toys"?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by beak
    That brings to mind a related question. When you see an educational toy that you think child would really enjoy and learn from, do you wait for an occasion to buy it? Do you limit how often you purchase "toys"?
    I think my short answer is toys yes, books no. We're very short of space, and DS gets new stuff that has to be given a home quite often enough as it is! And it isn't as though he doesn't have stuff to learn from and enjoy in the meantime. I have been known to buy things for all of us to use with him particularly in mind, though, and he gets pocket money and hardly ever spends any so if there's something he really wants he can buy it himself (and I'll help). Books are different - DH and I are both among Amazon's most valued customers on our own account, and it wouldn't seem fair to make DS wait for books, given that!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM