Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 110 of 268 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 267 268
    A
    A
    LotOtots5,

Sounds like your kiddo might enjoy 1,2,3...Infinity by George Gamow. Maybe now, maybe when he's a bit older. It depends on what his reading level is. I think I read it when I was around seven or so. It covers a lot of fascinating math topics, and was my first introduction to topology. There is a section where it talks about the fact that, from a topological point of view, you can look at the human body either as a tube that is completely surrounded by everything else in the universe, or as a universe of its own that surrounds everything else.

Last edited by aculady; 04/07/11 09:45 AM. Reason: added link
    L
    L
    Thanks smile
    K, I admit, I had to look up topology wink

He is just learning to read but at least I can read the book and maybe we can talk about it. He is definitely my "deep thoughts" child, so fun!!

Last edited by LotsOtots5; 04/07/11 10:22 AM.
    Today dd and I were doing an errand that took a bit of driving. We were having a nice long chat full of the questions that kids are famous for -- e.g. why can't we see through clouds, are there spaces in your body between the organs, are the capillaries all squished together, how can the government shut down, etc, etc. But then it got a little quiet and I thought "she's probably reading something" when suddenly she bursts out in dramatic song. She was singing her sister's recital piece from 2010 -- in Italian. She sure got my attention!

I was joking with her about it and she said that she'd been singing it to herself during her timed multiplication test today. I said "what do you mean during the test?" and she responded -- mom, I don't need my brain to do those tests, so it was nice to have something to think about while I was putting down the numbers.

lol. Thanks for indulging me!

C
    C
    DS7 finished the ALEKS chemistry course today. There's hard stuff in there, and he really had to stick at it. He had, of course, a lot of help and parental explanation along the way (we've both learned more chemistry in the process too!) but he didn't get or need help in the final assessments: he really has mastered the material.

In fact, had I realised just how much chemistry there is in that course that I had never learned doing it until age 16, I don't think I'd ever have let him start! And he did struggle, both with his need to keep going through the dry stuff and, occasionally, conceptually; e.g. he had the same struggle with understanding how to use moles in calculations and convert between grams and moles that I remember having around age 14, along with the rest of my class - but the next day, he'd got it. Several times I suggested that he should just give it up, and a few weeks ago we even ended up doing problem-solving HTTSKWL-style on the white board, with the problem being "ALEKS is often hard and boring but Colin doesn't want to give it up so near the end", but he ruled out my suggested solution of "just give up anyway" immediately. (A dose of extrinsic motivation in his suggested form of grape tokens per topic done got him over the hump - interestingly, the tokens are still lying around rather than having been swapped for grapes.)

I feel slightly sad that I can't shout this from the rooftops at my IRL friends, but that's what this thread is for, right?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    That's awesome. I'm sure a lot of the chemistry in that course would make my head swim.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    D
    I love your post, it reminds me of how my daughter multiply's by adding it all up every single time! OK 6 sixes...! Its because they understand the fundamental concepts not just memorizing and spouting smile

Sometimes I'm still in shock by how much these kids absorb. They really are sponges. DD is not only learning French, Mandarin and Spanish but she is also learning sign language and boy has she learned a lot in a short time. But since her Spanish teacher is teaching it to her, she associates it with her Spanish, so as she goes through the alphabet she says it in Spanish. This is the same for the other signs such as Thank you, Mama, Papa, etc.

D
    D
    Colinsmum, congrats to your DS! Is the ALEKS chem course good? We had looked at that and considered it for DS8, but weren't sure about the level, time commitment, and quality. Does it start from absolute basics, or is there a level of presumed knowledge? Would you please tell more?

Thanks,
    DeeDee

My Mother's Day card said-
    "I love you more than all the leptons in the universe"

Not really a brag- just thought you all would appreciate it.
    Don't think it'll be a big seller for Hallmark though.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    M
    M
    Love it, sittin pretty!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Page 110 of 268 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM