Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    Sheila- great news!!
    And Grinity, your letter is wonderful...I want to print it out and save it. Good rule on not using the 'B" word...

mnmom23 #100770 04/28/11 10:57 AM
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Anyone go a link to the article 'What a child doesn't learn?'

http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430
    I'm wondering if this article is offered as a tatoo, so that next time I can just turn around and show the schoolies my ..... Ok - just kidding. I still wake up in a cold sweat after similar nightmares.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #100801 04/28/11 02:25 PM

I'm wondering if this article is offered as a tatoo, so that next time I can just turn around and show the schoolies my ..... Ok - just kidding. I still wake up in a cold sweat after similar nightmares.

Hilarious! I'd totally get that tatoo -- and I've got plenty of room for it, too! smile

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #100805 04/28/11 03:09 PM

Okay... this made me cry.

Ouch. I'm pretty sure that my 11yo hasn't learned most of that, and we've been desperately trying for the last seven years... but she (like a lot of kids) isn't too happy about learning some of those things. We hear endlessly about "letting her be a kid" and the like, without any apparent understanding that we are just hoping for her to learn the relationships between her character and actions-- and results. frown

Instead, she's learned:

a) if it isn't easy, I must not be good at it, so I won't try and you can't make me

b) I can't look less than perfect, because that might mean that I'm not really as smart as everyone seems to think that I am

c) Education is about showing off what you know

d) Education isn't about novelty

e) school is about not getting tripped up so that you don't get less than 100%

f) "not knowing" makes me feel stupid, and I don't like that feeling. Ergo, I don't like it when I don't already know something

g) I should avoid risks, since that is what leads to feeling stupid after I make mistakes,

e) most of life is about busywork.

frown Sad.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Instead, she's learned:

a) if it isn't easy, I must not be good at it, so I won't try and you can't make me

b) I can't look less than perfect, because that might mean that I'm not really as smart as everyone seems to think that I am

c) Education is about showing off what you know

d) Education isn't about novelty

e) school is about not getting tripped up so that you don't get less than 100%

f) "not knowing" makes me feel stupid, and I don't like that feeling. Ergo, I don't like it when I don't already know something

g) I should avoid risks, since that is what leads to feeling stupid after I make mistakes,

e) most of life is about busywork.

frown Sad.

Wow, that is so me.

P
    P
    Ouch. I'm pretty sure that my 11yo hasn't learned most of that, and we've been desperately trying for the last seven years... but she (like a lot of kids) isn't too happy about learning some of those things.

So, is it a personality thing?

When I look at the What a Child Doesn't Learn list I just see the consequences of a poor school fit. This seems to me like a list of why people homeschool. Are you saying though that this is not a product of schooling?

If it's any consolation, HK, my DS14 could have written the above rule, and yet, magically, he has just returned home on break and is playing basketball. And when he loses he says: 'Good Game' in a confident calm voice.

I think it's part a great fit at his school and part due to the last 2 years of Nurtured Heart Approach, but whatever it is, it's like that credit card commercial......priceless.

Even homeschooling can't meet the needs of some 'far edge of the curve' learners, unless the child is all around ready for college, at a very early age and the parents are willing. Asynchrony can be a very bitter pill.

I actually used these 'symptoms' as a guide to which direction to take with my DS. If the symptoms decreased, I'd do more of that, if they increased then I knew I had to change course.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    mnmom23 #100846 04/28/11 10:28 PM

Hilarious! I'd totally get that tatoo -- and I've got plenty of room for it, too! smile
    ^^^^^^^^^
    oh nooo....
    I just read that. I lol'd too much.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I emailed the principal ... here are the emails...

Mr. M,

We are looking at the early entrance to kinder guidelines. I think this may be a good fit for our son E (EJ). I do have a few questions regarding the process. When will the MAP test be administered? If he doesn't score a 90% but lets say scores in the 80th percentile.. will there be subject acceleration available? I have little doubt regarding him scoring that high if not higher in math. I am not sure where a 90% (RIT 170) would be. He currently attends kindergarten at the Academy of Early Learning.

Thank you for your time

Sheila

Mrs. D,

I'm inquiring as to when the test will be administered. When I hear back I'll be sure to let you know.

If EJ doesn't make the 90th percentile we would differentiate as needed. For example, we have many students who come to us being able to read in kindergarten and some who still don't know the entire alphabet.

I'll be in touch with the testing dates.

Chris M

Mr. M,
    Thank you for your response! I didn't quite finish a thought in there .. I have no doubt about him scoring high enough in math. Would there be acceleration there? He completes quite a bit of Frannie's first grade math. I am not sure about where he would fall on reading. He does read. We are currently reading Biscuit books. We will be attending the kindergarten round up on Wednesday with Ms. P.

Thank you again
    Sheila D

Yes...we would differentiate for math just as we would for reading. If he's capable of doing more challenging math...we can always provide him with work that will challenge his ability level.

Chris M

M
    M
    Sounds promising.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM